.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Engine
Old
  (#161)
Brainz

Default Re: Engine - 11-06-2004

The problem with vehicles is, you add a ground vehicle, players will want an air vehicle to stop it running them over. Add air vehicles, and you get 'spawn raping'. That's my main problem with BF1942 - no automated spawn defence, unlike DoD, where if you get too close to spawn, you die.

Also, if you have air vehicles, you need huge maps to give them room to manouevre. (sp?). I'm all for one or two unarmed vehicles, such as dune buggies or motorbikes, and fixed emplacements, but I don't think it needs full vehicle support. At least, not on every map. I'm a foot slogger and/or treadhead to the end. (Unless too many others are flying, then I'm a killer CPG)

(Oh, the DCX Humvee w/ .50cal rocks! - literally: It's got lowrider suspension )

Old
  (#162)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

Default Re: Engine - 11-06-2004

baserape isnt that huge problem.. im for vehicles all the way..

some servers i play on kick the player if he only passes by.. but some servers isnt it alowed to kill but to steal vehicles from base.. it all depends on server rules..

Old
  (#163)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Engine - 16-07-2004

I agree with both of you to an extent, i like vehicals.. but thats just me. If we could add an automated defence against 'baseraping' then there wouldnt be a problem. Heatseaking SAMs will take down aircraft flying over bases, Automated gun turrets for people, and some form of explosives for tanks.

I do like vehicals thou.. And i'll show you a humvee that rocks..

(see Attachment..)

(soz, got bored whilst playing with 3DSMax one day :p)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	humvee.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	388  

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network

Old
  (#164)
SoUlFaThEr

funny model.check your PM....and i think vehicles will only be a good addition to a game....if the engine allows huge maps as mentioned in an earlier post by Brainz and this should be done later not earlier....

Old
  (#165)
FrostyCoolSlug

I agree, maybe it would be better to make the game fully capable of vehicals, but its up to the map creators to put them in.

Maybe a decent way to decide, if we are going to hade multiple gametypes, Have 1 map, and them some text files, which contain all the spawn points for that game type, and the XYZ co-ords for them. The Server can have this file, and pass it onto clients on connect.

Would give the server admins the ability to easily change how the game plays.

(As a note, all of my renders are just models taken from BF1942, with positioning done, and screenshot taken.. Its nothing special )

=====

Last edited by FrostyCoolSlug; 16-07-2004 at 20:17..

Old
  (#166)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

lol
yer humvee cant fly
if it were to it would spin around and fall cos he aint no compensation helix

</ot>

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#167)
FrostyCoolSlug

sure, but it might buy the driver a few seconds whilst a rocket is heading for his humvee :p

</ot>

=====

Old
  (#168)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Engine - 19-07-2004

it's a bird, it's a plane...it's a flying hummer?
As for those large pesky tanks and planes buzzing about spawn points - that should be left to mappers. A bunker with a few good defenses and the spawn points inside (so vehicles can't get in) is really all that's needed, and that's up to the mapper, not the engine. Engine gives the tools to run a game, but it doesn't make the game.

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#169)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Engine - 19-07-2004

Granted, but maybe we should create tools to make that defence easier, like automated objects, then leave it to the mapper to place them, or not use them if they see fit.

=====

Old
  (#170)
Lifer

Default Re: Engine - 22-03-2005

Has anyone heard of the Irrlicht engine? It's fairly new and I read somewhere that out of a bunch of engines the person tried, it was one of the easiest to use. Check it out here http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ I know it doesn't have the best screenshots, but I think the engine may be way more capable than those screens show. You also might wanna check out the tutorial sections, they have a nice couple of tutorials on getting started in the engine, and theres even one there on integrating the engine with ODE.

A game engine information page.
http://members.chello.at/theodor.lau...s/3dengine.htm
Quote:
Irrlicht Open source under the most liberal of licenses, this small but powerful engine is the best you can currently get. It ties in with several free physics engines, several programming languages, and it can do decent 2D work too.
A review of Irrlicht on Freshmeat
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1182/
Quote:
In my opinion, the best thing about Irrlicht is the learning curve. I was literally programming 3D applications after I had examined the "hello, world" sample program. It uses a class-based system that is intuitive and easy to remember. It is also simple, and much of the complexities are handled by the engine itself, rather than making the programmer responsible.
If you download the SDK, there are demos included, some of them are especially nice, like the one showing per-pixel lighting, absolutely stunning to watch in real-time.

Last edited by Lifer; 22-03-2005 at 09:43..