.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Engine
Old
  (#141)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Engine - 22-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
One thing I'd love to see, but I don't know if it's too complex, is for people to get wounded in a more or less realistic fashion. I'd rather not see health points go down, but instead see mobility reduced, movement restricted and slowed, and so on, depending on where the body was hit and the severity of the wounds. I've seen something like this before, so I know it can be done.
YES!
That's what I'd love to see too. I think that was mentioned already, but a long time ago.
This either needs ragdoll physics, or an impressive number of player animations. Anyway, I believe ragdoll physics are the way to go.

I'd want to see the wounds on the players' bodies too. Especially when they are alive ; to be able to see where they have been hurt by seeing blood on their right arm, for example.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#142)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

keep in mind that realism mostly kills playability. When i am hit in my leg, and i cant move fast. I dont think i want to play my game for long sinc ei move like a freaking turtle waiting to die...

either it should be very well balanced, or it will flop like hell.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#143)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

In order to get something structured of our this you will need to start up several topics concerning different topics of the development.

I really like the idea you have for the game with a good bunch of tactics, but not something which kills gameplay. We had a bunch of good discussions regarding this on the Sands-of-War forum, unfortunately the forum seems lost at the moment

I think its possible to make a tactical and action-packed fps, its hard, but possible.

Old
  (#144)
FrostyCoolSlug

i agree, there would have to be a way to heal yourself quickly, or maybe reward 'medics' that respond quickly (The whole teamplay thing again).

Although i think this is the wrong place to be discussing this

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network

Old
  (#145)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: Engine - 23-05-2004

I played a game called "mechwarriors" a looooong time ago, and it had viewable wounding where players could see each others missing parts that were blown away. You could see severity when smoke came out of the "mech" (mechs are like a tank but with legs), also the mech slowed down and lost weapons systems depending on where it was hit and how much damage it took. You could repair your mech only after the round ended by carefully spending money on replacement parts.

I liked the game play even though as you got damaged you slowned down and lost capabilities, you could still fight back, and a lot of skill came into play dealing with damaged systems. There was lots of fun watching other players get blown up, with parts flying off and smoke comming out. You could decide which target was your best bet to shoot at, and you could aim for certain parts to maximize the damage, eg shoot at the legs, and the target would slow down or become crippled, but it could still shoot back at you, shoot the weapons systems out and the thing could still run away from you and escape.

I agree that we'd have to balance realism against fun. One concept is to allow an adjustable realism level at the server side (I'd make this limited to only a few things to keep it simple), that way people can decide for themselves what they want. If we try and create too much of a compromise, we'll end up with a mediocre game.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#146)
Bill

Default Re: Engine - 25-05-2004

http://www.cubeengine.com/

Found this on Source Forge..thought you guys might be interested.

Old
  (#147)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Engine - 25-05-2004

Interesting, thanks Bill

I'm not quite sure what they mean by:
Quote:
Most of the engine design is targeted at reaching feature richness through simplicity of structure and brute force, rather than finely tuned complexity.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#148)
Bill

Default Re: Engine - 26-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
Interesting, thanks Bill

I'm not quite sure what they mean by:
They're just trying to sound "1337".

If I had to say what they meant...maybe they did things a little more abstract than they could have?

Old
  (#149)
FrostyCoolSlug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
http://www.cubeengine.com/

Found this on Source Forge..thought you guys might be interested.

lol, reminds me of the good ol' days of Quake1..

Anyway, the engine, it does some nice stuff, its small, and robust and cross platform, the map editor is easy to use.. but perhaps too easy.. The maps look poor, (so do the graphics in general to be honest), when it comes to physics, they are lacking (if not non existant)..

I crashed it within 20seconds of oppening it (i'm chuffed with that).

For a fast pased Deathmatch type game, this would be the perfect engine, but for what we (Speaking personally anyway), i dont feel this is quite what we need.

Nice suggestion thou

=====

Old
  (#150)
FrostyCoolSlug

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
keep in mind that realism mostly kills playability. When i am hit in my leg, and i cant move fast. I dont think i want to play my game for long sinc ei move like a freaking turtle waiting to die...

either it should be very well balanced, or it will flop like hell.
This brings me on to 'suicides', most games allow you to instantly kill yourself, i feel ours should be a little different, each player should be equipped with a 'suicide pill', but no normal pill, it slowly kills off pain and such, so if you have a bullet in your leg, it wont effect performance, you will slowly start running faster, jumping higher, shrugging off bullets to non vital organs.. for about 20secs.. then you just die :p

This means if you do have a broken leg, and want to make a difference before you end it all, you can

It also means people cant just suicide to get back to an objective to help protect it :p

=====