.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost.
Old
  (#1)
Brainz

Default I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost. - 13-01-2005

I've found what I was looking for, a game with almost total realism.

You're even forced to go through Basic Training before you can go on any missions!

That game is...

America's Army.

Only thing its missing is a completable Special Forces Training Course, and a built-in Voice Comm System.

Oh well, you can't have everything.

Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost.
Old
  (#2)
sfx1999

Default Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost. - 13-01-2005

I've never played it, but I have heard good things about it. It is free, for one.

Anyway, have you ever played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory? It is also free.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#3)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost. - 14-01-2005

I've played it, and yes it's pretty good.

There are things about it I don't like. For one, it's a game built by the US military using tax dollars - well I don't care about the tax dollar expenditure part since I don't pay US taxes, but it's not really a game, instead it's a serious recruiting tool designed to reel in young kids into signing away their souls to the military.

Because it's a recruiting tool, some of the fun goes away, since the idea is to weed out undesirables and get desirables joining the military, you can forget about jumping into the game and having some instant fun. First you have to get through basic training, then you have to get past training missions before you can get to higher levels where the more interesting action is. The training levels may be a bit tedious, but in some ways it is good, since newbies and idiots won't be messing up the game play at the higher levels.

Because it's not really a game, some of the oddities are that you cannot play as the "terrorists", instead both teams see themselves as US military, and each team sees the other side as the terrorists. The result is that you can only play as the US military.

I'd prefer to be able to play as either the special forces or as the terrorists.

The realism is great, but it can get very slow at times. A game like CS struck a balance between realism and fun.

Speaking of realism, the physics and tactics may be relaistic, but the game is not. As a recruiting tool, the propaganda element was taken seriously. The game play does not attempt to show the player what a real war is like.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Those americans are still waging war as if we were in 1945. Talk of tactics. First they send the air force, then the tanks, followed closely by the infantry. That's the dumbest way to make war, especially in countries where the opposing force acts in an unconventionnal way (Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq). Bah, they must have lifes to spare I guess. I'm glad we learned our lesson in the 1960s. If the yankees want to learn how to deal with a guerilla, they should perhaps be lectured on the battle of Alger. But I suppose they know everything better than everyone, as usuals.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#5)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Quote:
But I suppose they know everything better than everyone, as usuals.
word!

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#6)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost. - 17-01-2005

This article may be of some interest to those who are thinking of playing AA.

Army to Hackers: We Know Where You Live

Jan. 13, 2005

The executive producer of "America's Army," the free online game funded by the U.S. Army, is hopping mad at hackers.

The executive producer of "America's Army," the free online game funded by the U.S. Army, is hopping mad at hackers who have taken advantage of the game's security holes, saying, "the Army is angry, and we're coming for you."

In a posting to the game's official forum, Phil DeLuca, said that hackers infiltrating the game were not only "breaking the EULA you're misusing Army property " and, worse, you're misusing US Army computer programs and equipment."

DeLuca's post, which has since been removed from the site, went on to say that "we know who you are, and can track down where you play from." He also went so far as to cite 20th century tensions between Japan and the United States to lambaste who he called "the bad guys."

"In the early 1940's, Japan learned an important lesson " "let the sleeping giant lie." We may not react swiftly, but when we do it's with unstoppable force. The Army has partners that deal with cyber crime as a matter of course. These include not just various Army IT departments, but also the Department of Justice, the Secret Service, and the Federal Bureau of Investigations."

America's Army has more than 4.5 million registered users, but the taxpayer-funded first-person shooter game has come under fire from some disturbed by its links to Army recruiting.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#7)
sfx1999

Anyway, that isn't to much different from what Blizzard does, except you get to go to Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison instead of paying cash.

Does it really matter if they put them in games? You can see Army recruitment ads on TV, or at the mall. Hell, I've had people call me. There are even internet ads.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#8)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Quote:
"In the early 1940's, Japan learned an important lesson " "let the sleeping giant lie." We may not react swiftly, but when we do it's with unstoppable force."
lol

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#9)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Funny how they do not mention vietnam

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#10)
Brainz

Default Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost. - 18-01-2005

I'd say give their home coordinates to the US Artilliary corps rather than the Army Lawyers... It really is annoying when all you need is another 500 or so points to allow you access to Special Forces slots, but that one b*d with his download skills drills you through the head with an assault rifle from a position you can only just see with you 10x scope.

But I made it to the 15 honour level... that makes me a Uber l33t Special Forces. Yay! (I did have to complete every training course beforehand, of course.)