.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Re: If you have RTCW, check out this demo!
Old
  (#11)
Maleficus

Default Re: If you have RTCW, check out this demo! - 15-06-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler
I don't have RTCW so I don't know about this though...
9_9

Hey Pierre - I appreciate the offer, but to be honest I'd like to get a bit farther with Fritz's development before I start thinking about putting a site up or anything. I'm planning on releasing an ALPHA test at the end of this month, if its fairly well received - I may think about putting up a site.

For now, Fritz is purely for my own pleasure.

I do like the idea tho - Bots United being a place for all bot authors.......

BTW: below is an .avi demo showing off a bit of the bot's class based workings. In it, I ask Fritz (who is playing LT class), for some ammo. He responds and gives me a few packs of ammo. I shoot him a few times (he gets pissed and says "hold your fire!" and then dies. I spawn in a med, who revives Fritz and gives him a health pack. I do this a couple more times to demostrate how well the bot's can react to their teammates needs (which is something 70% of pub players won't do).

There will be more on the way!
Attached Files
File Type: zip fritz2.zip (785.4 KB, 498 views)

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 15-06-2004 at 08:49..

Old
  (#12)
Brainz

well, if someone can inject some believable AI into the UT bots, I know a few people who would be a lot happier. Especially as Face would become much harder.

Old
  (#13)
Maleficus

Heres another .avi demo showing off two 3 man teams of bots, fighting for a hotly contested courtyard.

You can see that their nav/movement isn't the best, but its pretty good considering how little I've done for it so far.

Whats really funny, is if you watch the chat text, you'll see one of the german bots kill another german, and then say "Sorry".

You also see them cap 2 flags (of which there are 6 to fight over). In capture point, whoever can cap all the flags, or whoever has the most when the time runs out - wins.

When you set it so that a player only has limited lives (or even just one), it REALLY becomes a game of skill (Fritz already supports the limited lives setting!).
Attached Files
File Type: zip fritz3.zip (809.6 KB, 502 views)

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 15-06-2004 at 10:13..

Old
  (#14)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

I have seen the 2 avi files (the dem file not, i don't have RTCW installed, i do have it though).

I'd say, this bot has potential! i hope you'll become part of BU.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#15)
Maleficus

Default Re: If you have RTCW, check out this demo! - 19-06-2004

Another .avi demo - this time showing some of the bots basic environment sampling ability.

I created a test map that would be an obstacle course for the bots, it has a hanging wall that must be ducked under, a low wall that must be jumped over, and 3 X shaped wall groups that present places where a bot could get caught or hung up.

And Fritz handles them all no problems. There is NO pathfinding going on in this movie, just basic environmental sampling.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fritz4.zip (919.5 KB, 502 views)

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#16)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: If you have RTCW, check out this demo! - 20-06-2004

I have watched it and I was pleasantly surprised.
All this looks very promising, Maleficus. I hope you'll consider joining Bots United very soon, we need you

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#17)
Maleficus

I'd be very interested in doing that - but: what do I do to join? What are the rules, requirements, perks, etc?

Also, I'd still like to get that first Alpha out (which should be the 30th of this month), and see if theres enough interest, or if I'm even on the right track with the A.I.

Cheers!

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#18)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

we have a set of rules here : http://www.bots-united.com/member-rules.html

but as for joining; as far as i know we always has asked someone (so it starts from us) or in very rare occasions some people mentioned other bots... but then again we asked them to join or not. I think we need an IRC conversation to get things arranged, what do you say PMB?

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#19)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

I disagree, Stefan: at least IvPBot and ShrikeBot have asked us before we ask them, don't you remember ? And the POD-Bot forum was claimed by the bot users themselves (POD-Bot 2.6mm is the first bot which is REALLY an offspring of the Bots United community since it was built directly with the help of the users, who then asked for a forum for it, and finally sPlOrYgOn took it over). What remains is only the 4 bots (HPB_Bot, RealBot, JoeBot and RACC) that initially founded Bots United. In the end it does not matter who makes the first step, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
what do I do to join?
Well, you ask Post a request in the Agora with a public poll (yes/no) and as soon as a majority of council members vote 'yes', you are part of Bots United. We will then set up a website for you, a forum, a ftp/CVS/mail account and all the stuff on the basis of what you want or need.

Quote:
What are the rules,
Be present often and moderate your forum yourself if you want one, always be kind and helpful to all the other members, and cooperative with the other bot authors, do not abuse of the services (forum, web space, bandwidth, email accounts) we provide... common sense rules, in fact.

Quote:
requirements,
That you be coding a bot yourself, goes without saying I say this because we had lately a lamer with an almost void knowledge of coding, which was unable to do anything but to rip these bots of ours that are open-source, rename it and claim it as his work, and the kid officially asked *us* to join Bots United with his big fake It was a very funny moment of the BU story
The other requirement would be that you be developing it regularly and planning to release it some day (if you haven't done this yet), OR that your bot be already released and in case you don't want to continue working on it, you engage yourself to come regularly in person to check the forums and provide support for it to the BU members. You don't need to go open-source with it, but if you want to, that would be an interesting plus.

Quote:
perks, etc?
The design of your website will be completely up to you, but if you don't want to bother, Stefan has a nice webby template that both the JoeBot and RealBot sites are using, that you could use for your site too. You can do anything you can think of to generate interest for your bot, and we can hint all newcomers who are looking for a bot to have a look at yours and try it out. After that, it's completely up to you to do whatever you want... We will always be here to help you out whenever you ask, though.

Being part of Bots United will also give you access to our moderators' forum where you can take part in technical discussions about the server, etc. But that's nothing biggy since discussions there are in fact rare, most of our talks are open to public and happen in the Agora. We try to be as democratic as possible.

And if one day you manifest some interest in it, and that one Council member wants to withdraw, you may be able to join the BU Council which settles the general policy of Bots United.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#20)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: If you have RTCW, check out this demo! - 21-06-2004

Quote:
I disagree, Stefan: at least IvPBot and ShrikeBot have asked us before we ask them, don't you remember ?
:shame: how could i ever forget? ...