Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

Tribes: Vengeance
Old
  (#1)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Tribes: Vengeance - 18-10-2004

Heyyo,

I picked up a copy of Tribes: Vengance a few days ago, and it KICKS ASS. So if anyone else here has a copy, n' wants to play with a friendly internet face, then post your username. Mine is: æ ThE_MarD

The SP bots are great, but no MP bots... I'm sure someone will make one, the game's just too good to be without a great MP bot. If someone does make bots for it, I hope they're polite like the Tibes 2 bots. Like, for eg. If bot1 gives a task, bot2 accepts, then bot1 says "Thank you." and bot2 says "you are welcome." heh, I was joking with sPlOrYgOn n' saying he should put it in PODbot mm, but it would be funny eh? I guess I'll just have to teach RCbot some manners, or at least attempt to. 9_9

Of course I won't spend all my time on that game n' neglect these forums n' my current projects (although it has been a very big distraction).

[EDIT]
BTW, if you guys have never tried Tribes 1&2 I suggest to. Vivendi made em' freeware (see? they're a nice company, n' puts a gamer's enjoyment 1st ) Tribes 1 is aboot 185MB, and Tribes 2 is aboot 580MB. Just search anywhere on the net n' it should turn up. If you try Tribes 2 I suggest getting the BotPilot mod so the bots use all the vehicles pretty nicely.

The only 3 downsides I see from Tribes 2 to T:V is Tribes2 supported 60 players, and had built-in MP bot support, and when in 1st persion view, when you looked down? you had a body! :o lol.. in T:V they removed the body, which's a letdown cause it was cool to see yourself running around the level, ignoring the fact that there's a hevy enemy infront of you firing motar rounds at ya.

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Last edited by MarD; 18-10-2004 at 21:58..

Re: Tribes: Vengeance
Old
  (#2)
TranceRolin

Default Re: Tribes: Vengeance - 22-10-2004

Tribes: Vengeance is really fun, I got to play the beta a little while ago. If I remember correctly, Tribes 2 supported 32 players like most other games, and there were hacks to make the server size go as large as 128- It was a simple variable change that wasn't a big heavily hard-coded thing like in say, Half-Life, where there was and still isn't a way to go beyond the set 32 player max.

We can expect the same for Tribes: Vengeance in that regard. It is also extremely efficiently coded, using barely any system resources both clientside and serverside (my computer really isn't that good and I didn't use max cpu/ram usage on medium settings, and medium settings are only due to my poor poor video card) . The beta sdk proves it >.> At least these people know how to comment, unlike some others . . . *cough*DOOM3*cough*

Fun game, I don't have the cash to buy it though. ='( I also want to play Rome: Total War a bit more beyond the demo but that's for another time =P

Old
  (#3)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceRolin
The beta sdk proves it >.> At least these people know how to comment, unlike some others . . . *cough*DOOM3*cough*
lol, Carmack doesn't need to comment, he already thinks in C. You would have seen the Wolfenstein3D source code, you'd be horrified

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#4)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

128 eh? that's crazy. But I thought by default T2 suppored up to 60 online? I dunno, I can't play online until Fileplanet acts nice n' gives me a free cd key as promised... but they ran out... so I have to wait. oh well, I have T:V now, so I've gotta good distraction.

I know what you mean by commenting, I couldn't understand much from LN's source of EPB for some parts, even when he commented.

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#5)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarD
If someone does make bots for it, I hope they're polite like the Tibes 2 bots. Like, for eg. If bot1 gives a task, bot2 accepts, then bot1 says "Thank you." and bot2 says "you are welcome." heh, I was joking with sPlOrYgOn n' saying he should put it in PODbot mm, but it would be funny eh?
Most of all, it would be highly unrealistic. In order to reflect the typical CS kiddie behaviour, it takes bots who say useless stuff, flame each other and keep voting de_dust2 on a custom map server. >

And they ought to be capable of "analyzing" a game the way a typical CS player does. Like, when you run around a map as CT on a cs-map, kill an enemy or two, run into heavy fire so that you decide to choose another passage, pass by your spawn point and kill a T who's got an AWM in his hands with your MP5, the killed T should call you "fucking basecamper". THAT's authentic. For CS at least...

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#6)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

Heh, yeah, maybe for CS, but the Tribes community is very nice, I think the bots helped create this friendly atmosphere. Like, I asked them what I should upgrade on my comp to make T:V more smoother (every once inna while my frames would drop to 1F/S, especially at the beginning of matches, it wasn't precaching everything...) and they all suggested to get a 2nd stick of 512mb RAM, so I said thank you, and then like, 3 people used the premade voice commands and responded, "You are welcome." coincidence!? I think so.

BTW, T:V is on a soupped up version of the UT2k4 engine, so I'm sure the bots would be kickass if done correctly.

Heh, wouldn't it be funny if making a polite bot would cause the CS community to start a new friendly revolution? douptful like sPlOrYgOn pointed out, but I still think I'd be a funny idea... wonder if the CS:S bot will reflect CS players as you described them... cause yeah, there's a lot of annoying flaming-spammers on CS... And people who do camp your spawnsite with an AWP... well, you should tell them "well.. YOU SPAWNED CAMP'ED FIRST!!! I'M TELLING THE ADMIN!!" lmao, just like a child..

And if you're curious on my computer specs right now here it is:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
Sapphire's ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
512MB Generic PC2700 RAM (my 2nd stick of ram should be in today... it's PC3200, cause it's newer n' cheaper, n' it'll auto downscale to a PC2700 to be compatible with my other stick of ram anywho )
MSI K7N2 Ultra Motherboard
Creative's Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (I paid for a Soundblaster live x-gamer, but there was a messup in my order, n' they diddn't even notice, so I got my audigy gamer for the price of a live x-gamer, pretty sweet eh? lol, paying for a budget soundcard, and (at the time) getting a state-of-the-art soundcard. )

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Last edited by MarD; 22-10-2004 at 19:23..

Old
  (#7)
TranceRolin

Default Re: Tribes: Vengeance - 23-10-2004

Heh . . . I think that the idiots in CS make the game that much more fun =D It wouldn't be the same without it.

Yeah, I actually understand how the code in the SDK works just by browsing around and I haven't worked in C/C++ in like three years =/ No need to think in C here! GLEE ^_____^

I never played T2, I just go by what I'm told by friends who have played it >.> I played Tribes way back when and didn't like it so never picked up Tribes II.

Speaking of Wolfenstein 3D . . . Something always disturbed me about that game. Did you ever notice that the single object that had the most detail put into it was the portrait of Hitler spammed around the beginning?

Old
  (#8)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: Tribes: Vengeance - 23-10-2004

Heyyo,

Well, what did you hate aboot T1 then? cause I'm sure you'll like the changes in T:V. I like how much faster the game plays out. Very hard to defend against good players, arena matches are hard cause you wanna try to live and kill at the same time, and a few other nice changes. Lots of people playing ctf right now, I wanna find a good server with rabbit onnit, or hunt, cause those 2 game modes in the T2 were the best.

And btw, those guys were right, that 2nd stick of 512mb of ram really did make my framerate smoother. now I get no frame loss to 1F/S anymore, it's great

[EDIT]
Oh, and incase no one else has already done this, welcome to bots-united TranceRolin.

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Last edited by MarD; 23-10-2004 at 21:16..