.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > SDK Programming discussions > Half-Life 2 SDK
Half-Life 2 SDK For developments focused around the Half-Life 2 engine Half-Life 2

Re: HL2DM bots...
Old
  (#81)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: HL2DM bots... - 20-07-2008

Heyyo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
Hey guys. I'm working with Tony who works on SDK stuff for Valve and we are working out the new and improved bot interface stuff. Currently I'm working on TF2 with the new interface. I have them playing CTF and CP maps, engy bots building everything so far, in a couple days worth of evening work. The new interface will allow server plugin bots for DOD:S, CS:S, and any other mod that implements the appropriate accessor for their mod.

TF2 Teaser Pic
Dr. Evil.. I love you.... in a heterosexual way of course.

That's a few words I had to say.

Btw Dr. Evil.. if you could indulge me, do bots properly recognize what a teleporter is, and do they use them properly? I remember back in I think it was Natural Selection, there wasn't a proper way to setup bots recognition of teleporters so it was all random....

Also, are you using the same template as OmniBot for it that you were trying to use before, or is it all new? and one more if I may.. are the spy bots just as deliciously... evul as the ones from foxbot?

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#82)
DrEvil

I have them building all the buildables already, and I'm in the process of getting them to actually use the teleporters. They used teleporters nicely in Foxbot, and they will again this time around. I haven't gotten to the spy abilities yet. I've only spent a grand total of a few hours for about 3 nights supporting what I have so far. Luckily with the way Omni-bot is set up, I'm re-using a majority of the Team Fortress code I wrote for Fortress Forever and ETF. I'll probably work through each class and get each ones specific abilities supported. I already have pipe trap code written that will be re-usable for TF2, and other than that The scout double jump, spy sapper and invis behavior are the main tasks.

Omni-bot AI framework
http://www.omni-bot.com

Foxbot - for Team Fortress Classic
http://www.foxbot.net

Old
  (#83)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
I have them building all the buildables already, and I'm in the process of getting them to actually use the teleporters. They used teleporters nicely in Foxbot, and they will again this time around. I haven't gotten to the spy abilities yet. I've only spent a grand total of a few hours for about 3 nights supporting what I have so far. Luckily with the way Omni-bot is set up, I'm re-using a majority of the Team Fortress code I wrote for Fortress Forever and ETF. I'll probably work through each class and get each ones specific abilities supported. I already have pipe trap code written that will be re-usable for TF2, and other than that The scout double jump, spy sapper and invis behavior are the main tasks.
Excellent news indeed. Foxbot and OmniBot are fun times, so this should be great!

I for one look forward to a good release, beta or otherwise. I'm already subscribed to this thread and a few others.

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#84)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

More words:

GREAT!!! Do you have a source-code template?

edit: I know you have some source codes on your site, but i mean the one who works with CS : S and such Don't wanna push, but this is exciting news indeed.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#85)
DrEvil

Default Re: HL2DM bots... - 21-07-2008

I don't have anything for CS:S right now. At the moment developing this requires a custom engine.dll(that goes in the source sdk base 2007\bin folder), and custom dlls for TF2, and running TF2 as a mod. At some point in the future this new bot interface stuff will be rolled out to the public in an update. Right now he has mostly been adding accesors to mod side data for TF2. If you can put together a list of CS:S specific data you are going to need to access I can push for that to get added. Same for anyone who knows DOD:S pretty well. By mod specific data I mean information specific to the mod itself, such as TF2 accessing the buildables for an engineer, the disguise status for spy, etc.

Generic information, such as accessing ammo and weapon information has all been added, so a very basic bot such as for HL2DM would be fully possible with just the new vanilla bot interface.

Using the old bugzilla post as an example:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/c..._bug.cgi?id=16
#1,2,5,8,10,11,12,13 have all pretty much been addressed.
#3 and 6 naturally require some accesors(through a generic interface) be added to individual mods based on the requirements of the mod. Here's an example.

Code:
pluginvariant val, empty;
if(pInfo->GetCustomInfo(TF2::TFPLAYERINFO_EDICT_SENTRY, val, empty))
{
    pMsg->m_SentryStats.m_Entity = HandleFromEntity(val.Edict());
    if(val.Edict())
    {
        IEntityInfo *pSgInfo = EntInfo((edict_t*)val.Edict());
        if(pSgInfo)
        {
            health = pSgInfo->GetHealth();
            maxHealth = pSgInfo->GetMaxHealth();
        }
        if(pInfo->GetCustomInfo(TF2::TFPLAYERINFO_SENTRY_LEVEL, val, empty))
        {
            level = val.Int();
        }
        if(pInfo->GetCustomInfo(TF2::TFPLAYERINFO_SENTRY_AMMO_SHELLS, val, empty))
        {
            shells = (val.Int()>>8) & 0xFF;
            maxshells = val.Int() & 0xFF;
        }
        if(pMsg->m_SentryStats.m_Level > 2)
        {
            if (pInfo->GetCustomInfo(TF2::TFPLAYERINFO_SENTRY_AMMO_ROCKETS, val, empty))
            {
                rockets = (val.Int()>>8) & 0xFF;
                maxrockets = val.Int() & 0xFF;
            }
        }
    }
}
pInfo is a greatly expanded playerinfo interface. There is also a new IEntityInfo interface that allows a bunch of information to be accessed for entities in general, and not be limited to just player info.

Information specific to the mod will need to be supported and added for access via these GetCustomInfo paths.

Omni-bot AI framework

Old
  (#86)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

So basically what you're saying is that the new bot framework has to be released from Valve's side and all will be exposed as we'd like it to?

When would that be? (eta release date?)

As for CS: S .

Weapon info is already known as you told us. So all i need to know is:
- carry bomb yes/no?
- has hostage used yes / no (pointer to pEdict or something)

I think CS : S is basically a simple mod. I can't think of anything special just now for that. Perhaps other bot developers have an idea?

Also, how is bot handling now? I mean, you're using the plain plugin code delivered by Valve i suppose?

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#87)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Are You planning guys, to make the bot for HL2/CS : S/TF2 etc as a standalone dll or as a metamod-source plugin?

Old
  (#88)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

After the new bot interface is released I'm planning to make the bot as server plugin using the valve system.

Old
  (#89)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

When the official interface exposes the needed functions, there is no need to use another layer (ie metamod-source). So i think it is most likely bots will be made for the valve / source interface.

Old
  (#90)
DrEvil

Honestly I can't even guess when this might be rolled out to the public. I believe Tony might want to have as complete as possible first pass at events/accessors for all supportable valve mods before trying to push it through the system. If we know Valve we know that time tables can't really be predicted. I'll try to push Tony into adding these accessors. CS:S seems simple enough that those can be added easily. In the meantime, if you know anyone around this forum who knows DOD:S very well I would appreciate if they can put together a list if custom accessor data they might need. I haven't played much DOD:S myself.

Btw, one more thing I should mention. The extended bot interface is specific to Orange Box engine. Tony has told me Valve has no plans to put these sdk updates into the old engine. This means that only mods/games based on the Orange Box engine will benefit from the extended bot interface. So far DOD:S has been ported to Orange Box, and CS:S is in progress afaik, naturally TF2 was born in Orange Box. I'm told they plan to update HL2DM to Orange Box as well, probably last.

Anyways, the quicker we get a list of needed accessor information to Tony the sooner he can have his part ready at least. Then it's just a matter of waiting on the changes to get through whatever Valve vetting process he has to push it through.

Omni-bot AI framework