some different ideas!
Old
  (#1)
shaw

Default some different ideas! - 24-11-2004

ive been using podbot ever since count floyd made it
it seemed the easiest bot to use and waypoint
but they just started making me mad..i know i know its just a dumb bot
i can start with a couple of ideas and or basic fixes.
i dont know how to post this so ill just list em o.k?

the bots, (after encountering each other,and dont kill each other) run away from each other.
make them go for the kill! - KILLKILLKILLKILL PLS KILLKILLKILL

bots running back to spawn (unnessesary?!)

bots just stoping/jumping in place?

bots just camping on "normal waypoint"
(at times bots on both teams will just stand there for a good 30 secs)

bots not going for the dropped bomb?
(i mean come on!)

the infamous "wallhack"
and dont tell me they cant see thru walls..its so obvious cmon.
dont know if its wallhack or they just can stay aimed at each other
from the other side of the map.
(get rid of it)

make bots insanely aggressive!!!!

he_map compatable?
ka_map compatable?

some waypoints dont connect over bridges?
(autowaypoint)

addpath? (does this work,if so how?)

make the ct bots rush withever site and defuse bomb as soon as its planted!!

on "cs_maps" bots dont always get hostages!!
if they do,they just get 2 of them.

bots need to use the important waypoints ..it seems they dont

again make the bots rush "places" they encounter the enemy.
i hate how they run away! #@$%%# or bump into each other and get stuck
MOVE!!!MOVE!!!!!

when is the next update???
when will podbot 2.6mm get a fix?
its been a while

Re: some different ideas!
Old
  (#2)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: some different ideas! - 24-11-2004

I haven't had time to play much during the last months... in fact, I only fired up a game occasionally to test some waypoints I made when I had at least that much time left.

However, I have noticed some of the things you mentioned (like bots camping anywhere they see fit), whereas I'm not so sure about others.

Bots camping anywhere they want
Some things like the camp problem are just a matter of personal preference, I guess. It can also be regarded as a feature: Even if the waypointer was lazy with camp WPs (can't have been me, then ), bots will choose good spots to camp. And they generally choose quite well, because I have often seen bots get kills that way when I spectated them.
How about an option to turn this feature on or off, according to each user's taste? For example, a simple "autocamp on/off" in podbot.cfg and a corresponding console command "pb autocamp on/off" ?

Bots not pursuing and killing each other
<sarcasm>In ancient times, when CS was programmed as a tactical mod (sort of, at least), i.e. before millions of 12-year-old, rushing, deathmatch-oriented fy_iceworld fanboys converted into a brainless deathmatch mod, people used to think that fulfilling the mission objective (rescue the hostages / bomb those crates) was more important than
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw
KILLKILLKILLKILL PLS KILLKILLKILL
</sarcasm>
Seriously, sometimes they really tend to run away from each other or make a fuss about finally going around that corner and fighting the last enemy alive. But all in all, I think that build 43/44 is already much better in that respect than the last official release.
By the way, did you try adding only bots with aggressive personality? If even those are too shy to face an enemy, I kind of agree with you. Otherwise, I'd say use those possibilities...

Bots running back to spawn
Well, if their spawn point happens to be = hostage location (T) or bomb site (CT), it's certainly not pointless (again, see my sarcastic remark above). If it's not, did you check for important waypoints at spawn? Once in a while, they do patrol them after all.

some waypoints dont connect over bridges? (autowaypoint)
autowaypoint, *yuck* But still: This depends on what the mapper did. A bridge can be composed of various elements, and depending on which element it is, the WP editor can detect it or not. I don't know much about mapping, so I don't know if it's possible to improve the WP editor in that respect without facing more problems concerning other map elements. But now, when connecting is sooo easy, it shouldn't be a big issue anyway. Which brings us to...

addpath? (does this work,if so how?)
Didn't you read the docs? Point your crosshair to the WP you want to add a path to (or from, or both), until it becomes fat and you can see a blue marking on top of it. Then just hit your respective keys (whatever key you bound to those functions) for "add outgoing connection", "add incoming connection" and "add bidirectional connection".

May I ask which build of the dll you are using?

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Last edited by >BKA< T Wrecks; 24-11-2004 at 11:33..

Old
  (#3)
shaw

Default Re: some different ideas! - 25-11-2004

wow all questions answered exept* for whens the next update?
lol..i love your sarkazm*
of course i browsed the docs =P
i dont like reading..lmao ( but if i have to, i will)

f.y.i - i do my own waypointing (and im damn good at it! o.k.) and i rarely add camp waypoints..because i dont want all the bots just sitting in corners or what not. i do not put important waypoints at their spawns. (depends on maps, on fy_maps i do so they will get to the other side.) i understand the "bridge" auto-waypoints..but i tried adding normal waypoints and they just dont connect to eachother. for example the map im talking about is de_dustyaztec,theres 1 bridge...lol so i made them jump across. (they rarely take that course) =\

i do play alot of cs...
and yes i have the most current dll of podbot.(2004.10.2.0)
the newest newest newest..and on all builds they still run away from eachother
ive seen this "bug"(i call it a bug) in all builds. i wish it could be fixed..yes i could just slay them but i want to see them go nuts! (kill kill kill) i love how they knife at close range
on maps like "scoutznknifez" (whatever) they dont even shoot the damn scout?#!$!@#

why do they run backwards?

he_maps? - no answer (hehe)

yes i add nothing but professional and godlike bots
w/ aggressive personalities.

well yes now a days people rush and knife people in the back (haha),
cs has come a long way since simply defusing and saving hostages.
its kinda boring when all people do is awp/camp.

i see u forgot about the infamous wallhacking bots question
if you spectate them it aint hard to tell..

whens the next update??????
keep us posted
whens the next update??????
its been a while

thanks for telling me bout the "addpath" i get it know..
now there not going to run back to spawn..(haha)
one way only!
my 2 cents.
-shaw

Old
  (#4)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Quote:
wow all questions answered exept* for whens the next update?
Remember I'm not exactly involved in the bot's development... in order to know the ETA of the next release, you gotta ask the sPlOrYgOn oracle- better known as the sPlOracle, lol...

Quote:
f.y.i - i do my own waypointing (and im damn good at it! o.k.)
Care to show some of your stuff? Got anything that's not for your average kill kill kill deathmatch maniac, but for a more or less "normal" map? Like, with old-fashioned hossies or bombspots, like our forefathers liked them after they came down from the trees?
As soon as I have some time on my hands, I might need some help with waypoint packs and stuff... and since I don't waypoint all those "Q3-style gameplay on a much worse engine" maps, your stuff could fill some gaps...If you want, you can PM me about this.

Quote:
i understand the
Quote:
"bridge" auto-waypoints..but i tried adding normal waypoints and they just dont connect to eachother
No, that makes no difference. You see, autowaypointing only affects the way the waypoints are set - connections are drawn automatically in both modes (unless apmd is exceeded or there's a solid wall or a deep gap inbetween - or, like in case of your bridge - something the editor cannot detect as walkable ground).

Quote:
yes i could just slay them but i want to see them go nuts! (kill kill kill)
Aren't we a peaceful & relaxed little fella? And I thought "kill kill kill" was reserved for bands like Manowar... oh wait, that was "hail and kill" - even better.

Quote:
on maps like "scoutznknifez" (whatever) they dont even shoot the damn scout?#!$!@#
Yup, that's a bug. Bots and sniper weapons, that's not exactly a love affair so far. It's been reported before, and I suppose sPlO is trying his best to fix it - but it doesn't seem to be easy. Basically when you spectate a bot with any sniper rifle in 1st person you wanna shout at it... "what are you doing?!" in my case, maybe "shoot! kill! maim! dismember! no mercy! blood!" in your case... j/k

Quote:
well yes now a days people rush and knife people in the back (haha),
Quote:
cs has come a long way since simply defusing and saving hostages.
its kinda boring when all people do is awp/camp.
The scariest thing about this paragraph is that you actually succeed in making it sound like an evolution when it's actually a simple case of "back to frag" - mankind, get back on your trees and be proud of it. 9_9
But seriously: Of course it's boring when people just camp. But organized teamplay without TOO much realism (like you get hit once & game over) can be fun, too*. And if you wanna get rid of campers, you can block some weapons on your server, and there you go.

Quote:
i see u forgot about the infamous wallhacking bots question
if you spectate them it aint hard to tell..
I didn't forget that question, I generously chose to ignore it because I didn't have anything too smart to tell you... but now, since you push me... sPlO is the coder, and I don't know how all this stuff can be fixed. He might see this thread eventually and comment on some things, though.

Quote:
thanks for telling me bout the "addpath" i get it know..
Oh man, if you didn't know about addpath, how could you make half decent waypoints? Btw, I wrote all that documentation for a reason... *sigh* pearls before swine! :'(

______
*: I bet when you read that sentence you had an expression on your face as if a fat, 50-year-old lady had told you that she has much fun in her life without doing anything but knitting socks, right?

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#5)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

the scoutznknifez problem is actually because they have no bullets for scout.. they don't check how many bullets are in clip currently.. and in that map you have 10 in clip and no extra bullets.. so they end up using knife because they have "no bullets.."

they don't actually wallhack.. it's just their extremely good sense of sound..

seems like his waypointing depends on the auto connections...

Old
  (#6)
Eraser

Default Re: some different ideas! - 07-01-2005

LoL.
I know what you mean when they shoot through the walls, but in some cases it makes it a bit more realistic, ie. in cs_1337_assault (which i think is one of the best maps for bots) they shoot through the roof when you are up there, and in my opinion, they have every right to, as there is a miriad of ways that they can locate your position (if you think them as not just bots but real ppl... ). So sometimes it is a real hazard that they can hit through (or my least favourite) when you just duck around a corner, but other times i would think that it provides a bit more realism.

I hope my thoughts give you another perspective of the shoot-though-wall issue.