.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Bots not defending
Old
  (#1)
asd123321

Default Bots not defending - 26-05-2007

In quite a number of maps i have tried, there are no bots hanging around the main objective. Looking over waypointing, I see camping instructions, but I don't notice something to insure that a certain number of bots are there. Its as if they might stop if they happen to go that way but there is nothing to make sure that a certain number go there. Is there something missing in how they programmed the waypoints or the bot system is lacking? Thanks for the info on where to get the Bsp's and which apply.

Dave

Re: Bots not defending
Old
  (#2)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Bots not defending - 26-05-2007

There are techniques to encourage bots to use camps but there is no way to make the bots look for under defended spots. Depending on the map, and the game state a waypointer can get the bots to probably defend an area by placing higher priority camps (snipes, panzers, mobile mg42), or by putting in class limitations so the bots have to go to that area if they chose a camp action. A waypointer can also direct traffic to the area with roams and altroams though the bots may not stay there. And in dual objective maps the engineer camp is a way to get the engineers to defend (it can also be used if cautiously in other style maps).
But 2 human traits that bots lack are memory ('I got killed going that way so I'll creep up behind that camper...') and perception of team weakness ('Hey if we are all here who's guarding the gold?...'). The latter becomes a balancing act, keeping the camp radii small so just one bots uses it at a time, putting in enough camps to keep the game varied and interesting but not so many that all the bots end up in just one area. This is one of the reasons that waypoints normally work best for a small range of bot team sizes.

Best to tell the waypointer as to which maps, how many bots playing and when in terms of the game state. It may be that he had other plans for the bots at that point in the game.