.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

2d game bot project
Old
  (#1)
NewProgrammer

Default 2d game bot project - 01-05-2009

Hi, I am a new programmer, I'm pretty familiar with C++. Though... I taught myself through books so I'm still working on the terminology for all of it. So, sorry if I don't understand what your talking about at first.

But, I've got this 2d video game, which uses the arrow keys to move, and the spacebar to scroll through the text.

I'm wanting to make a bot which will login to the game for me, and when I press a certain key, it enters a basic loop where it walks in random directions using a random number generator, and depending on the number it will send a packet to the server telling it that it is moving up, down, right or left.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone helped me step by step through this process of making my first bot, I have setup this account so that you can email me.

Again, thanks for your time. I just want to learn how this is done, and I'm just starting out small so I can work on up from here.

Re: 2d game bot project
Old
  (#2)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: 2d game bot project - 02-05-2009

As I said many times, we are creating server side bots. I.e not network connecting to the server but bots created by the server itself. So if the game you are talking about have a plugin API or scripting that support bots, we will be glad to help you to make your bot.

Old
  (#3)
NewProgrammer

Default Re: 2d game bot project - 02-06-2009

Sorry it's been a while since I checked this forum. ok, well I have my own game I'm running using the eclipse free game engine. Basically, I'm wanting to make bots which will be the bosses in my game and never leave their area or map that they spawn on.

or is there a better way of doing this? I just figure a bot would be best since the game engine really doesn't allow you to really do anything cool with bosses and a bot that I could figure out how to program myself I think would be a lot cooler to fight than a mindless npc just trying to run at you and hit you.

Old
  (#4)
Drama

Default Re: 2d game bot project - 06-06-2009

You could go with a sockets proxy, or a hook one. The idea is same, you will be a middle hand between all the packets that travel from client to server and vice versa, which will give you the power to prevent packets from reaching their destination, modifying them, and even creating your own ones.

In a nutshell
Sockets Proxy
You write an application using sockets, and make your game-client connect to it. Then you'll make your application ( the proxy ) to connect the game-server with the data it received from client. Proxy'll receive the response from server, which you'll send to client. Now, you can watch the packets, figure out which are the right ones and programmatically send them to the server / client.

Hook Proxy <-- If you're using c++, I recommend this option.
The idea's same as sockets proxy, but you'll inject a DLL into your client, hooking send/recv methods in ws2_32.dll. Hooking and injection goes pretty far, you can even start a form inside target process from a dll.

I didn't go into details with neither of these two, but you'll find all them at google, I'm sure. For the API hooking, I suggest using a pre-built library for that, such as Deviare, etc.

Old
  (#5)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2d game bot project - 06-06-2009

This site is for those engines with plugin support, or some other form as Storm has previously said - any hacks around that generally violate EULAs and are hence not to be discussed on bots-united. Basically if no native support exists, and you don't have permission to modify the engine, it doesn't belong on these forums.

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#6)
Drama

Default Re: 2d game bot project - 07-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirv View Post
This site is for those engines with plugin support, or some other form as Storm has previously said - any hacks around that generally violate EULAs and are hence not to be discussed on bots-united. Basically if no native support exists, and you don't have permission to modify the engine, it doesn't belong on these forums.
I figured that out after reading a few other topics as well. It's a shame, I thought I found a large bot development community, but the name bot turned out to be a bit mis-leading.

All good