.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

Entities missing or falsely triggered under Fritzbot RTCW
Old
  (#1)
craigII
Old Member (aka Craig)

Depressed Entities missing or falsely triggered under Fritzbot RTCW - 07-11-2009

Let's start with the right context...

I have an RTCW map I've been honing away to perfection for ages.(Years!!). And I am finally pleased enough with it, to stop adding bits to it etc.. and get around to waypointing it for fritzbot.

After all - a playable map is the whole point of finishing it.

(And everytime I edit and recompile the map, the entity numbers can change, which screws up the action_ent values etc.. So it is only now I have got to try playing it)

To my horror, the map sucks under fritzbot.

Some of the func_explosive & trigger_objective_info entities related to dynamite-able objectives do not work. Or have vanished. Or a bit of both.

Very odd.

This is under RTCW - and I am going to compile it for ET shortly too - and see how that compares.

But under RTCW, I have 1 docs steal/deliver objective, and 4 dynamites.

1 dynamite works fine.

Another works, but one of the target_delay entities doesn't kick in when it should, and hence smoke never clears after the explosion. Also, the func_static which is linked to the explosion, never appears.

A further 2 dynamites func_explosives have vanished altogether.!

Strangely, one of the func_static that should only appear AFTER one of the missing func_explosives items is dynamited, magically appears at the start of the game. It is defined to be start_invisible, but there it is..!

All of this points to weird/corrupted entity behaviour, or missing entities at run time.

Could it be that Q3MAP2 is producing a map not compatible with fritzbot.?

Is there a limit to how many, and of what types, that friztbot can cope with ?

The key entities are related to 2 docs entities and 4 func_explosives.
A common mix in most RTCW maps.

In total, there are 550 entities in in the map.
It sounds a lot, but some maps must have a lot more.

As an aside, it runs fine under basic raw WOLFMP.EXE

And it also runs fine under shrubmod - the only other mod I have currently installed to test it with. But I would expect fritzbot to have a bigger memory overhead than shrubmod.

So - Any simillar experiences or ideas would be welcome.

I'm only after basic suggestions, and I (currently) have no broadband at present - so I can't go posting or emailing the compiled bsp map (20mb) around.

I could possibly zip up the .map file and email it, if someone thought they could offer ideas. You'd need to compile it yourself tho - and it would be minus most of the textures, as these stack up also.

But you would be able to see the problems yourself

Thanks.
Craig.

Re: Entities missing or falsely triggered under Fritzbot RTCW
Old
  (#2)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: Entities missing or falsely triggered under Fritzbot RTCW - 07-11-2009

the only entity manipulation in code that i know of for fritz rtcw was the removal of map specific func_explosives. or at least i believe that they were map specific since we had to provide entity numbers for each map to remove obstacles that bots wouldn't target, but i'm guessing your map name differs from any other supported map ...

i guess it's possible that he may have added some filter to try and auto detect some that should be removed. maybe try to play with some of the func_explosive properties like Dmg, Mass, Health, etc. Are those any different than the working dynamite goal?

does setting developer 1 in your config give any useful output at the start of the map?

beyond that, i'm out of ideas since the source for the mod is not available.

Bogus entitiy destruction at startup time - Fritzbot RTCW
Old
  (#3)
craigII
Old Member (aka Craig)

Default Bogus entitiy destruction at startup time - Fritzbot RTCW - 08-11-2009

Crapshoot, thanks for the reply.

The problem is definitely due to fritzbot triggering off some of the objective func_explosives (death) at map start time.

I played about with the entity keys, map order, and now have managed to skupper it even further.!
:-o

Now 3 of the 4 don't work.!

But I have no idea why the lone one works, or the others don't.

The 3 func_explosives with problems all trigger smoke, effects, relays, delays, func_static rubble etc..

But so does the one that works, plus a dozen other non-objective ones.
So I don't know what gives.

If anyone is in contact with Mal these days, could you ask him what the criteria is for entity death triggering at startup?

It seems a pretty crux piece of information, and I can't imagine why my map is having these problems, other than it is a big, and complex map with a lot of special effects.

But I've made several mp maps over the years, and waypointed a lot of fritzbot maps, and never had this happen before.

It will be worth fixing, as the map is pretty good. But only if the objectives can be fixed.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated.!!

Craig.

Re: Entities missing or falsely triggered under Fritzbot RTCW
Old
  (#4)
craigII
Old Member (aka Craig)

Default Re: Entities missing or falsely triggered under Fritzbot RTCW - 10-11-2009

Ok - I got to the bottom of this..

The problem was that some of the func_explosives had a DMG value too large (for fritzbot.)

I didn't have the inclination to try and find what the limit is, but 400 works, and 800 doesn't. Draw your own conclusions.

I presume the same may be true for fritzbot ET.

400 or 800 are quite large, but I wanted an explosion of an oil refinery to blow you off your feet unless you were some distance away.
So now i guess you can get closer before you lose your hat.

For reference, mp_tram uses DMG values of 75, so 400 is probably large enough.

If anyone has any simillar problems with their func_explosives getting triggered at startup, then check the DMG value.

Tags
entities not working