.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

View Poll Results: do you think the music industry's anti-piracy campaign will have any effect ?
Definitely yes. That's becoming scary. 3 15.00%
Prolly not. It won't stop people to download their tunes. 16 80.00%
I don't know. Where can I download the latest [insert your favourite band name here] ? 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

'big cigar' guys not smiling at all
Old
  (#1)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default 'big cigar' guys not smiling at all - 05-05-2004

The music producers are starting going amok against the P2P users who download MP3s...

Look at their new ad

Translation:
www.share.mp3
FREE MUSIC HAS A PRICE
sharing music on the net is thievery and from now on it's
UP TO €300,000 FINED AND 3 YEARS INPRISONMENT
(art. 335-4 of the Code of Intellectual Property)
- National Union of Phono Record Producers -

Their market has dropped for more than 25% last year due to increasing concurrence of P2P music downloads...
I don't worry for them, they must still make enough money to smoke their big cigars and continue exploiting their artists...

but if it's no intimidation I guess they'll have to fine 2 million frenchmen for €300 000 each and start building quite a few new prison complexes !

Place your bets, people... will this be enough to discourage wannabe downloaders ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Re: 'big cigar' guys not smiling at all
Old
  (#2)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: 'big cigar' guys not smiling at all - 05-05-2004

nope most likely they will only laugh...until they get busted......what they need is a few "examples"

Old
  (#3)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

probably not...
practicly everyone downloads music...
are they just going to arrest the whole world?
[edit]
I downloaded SoUlFaThEr's music
[/edit]

Last edited by sPlOrYgOn; 05-05-2004 at 02:23..

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

They're starting to actually fine people...

5 of them have been fined lately in France
2 teenagers, 2 adults and even one grandpa who was downloading divx movies for his grandsons.

I don't know the results of the judgment but it must be nowhere near the €300,000 fine they claim for.

Old
  (#5)
Lazy

Its going to get to a few people anyways.
The way they are handling this is just plain wrong though, how many people keep that amount of cash lying around?

The one thing I can say about this is I cannot blame them for wanting to take some action.
I do however blame them for being stupid and greedy.

See, we get upset if someone robs a chain of convienience stores.
If someone downloads a song they never paid for, how is that different?

I'm not siding with anyone but how can we curse one type of theft and defend another?

Theres a compromise to everything, instead of finding one they have decided to "cash in" and sue everyone they can catch.

Old
  (#6)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

I think the smarter thing for them to do is target the P2P servers.
like the Kazaa servers.
Then make software of their own to let people dl music for a price.

Old
  (#7)
biohazerd87
Moderator by day Waypointer by night

if you think about it people have been DL music and software sence there where computers!!! The only reason it is a big deal now is because people have made programs that make is easyer to DL stuff like Kazaa and the one and only Napster. Besides think of how many people DL crap i bet 1 out of ever 3 people have DL music before (that is only counting the us)

Old
  (#8)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

I'd say more..
Almost all my friends that have computers have dled music at least once...
Infact I think all my friends have...

Old
  (#9)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

But all in all, the music industry makes 4 mistakes:

1) Look at the big record labels. What kind of artists did they have some 20-30 yrs ago? Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, etc. etc. . Those were bands that had time to evolve, to develop and to experiment. And what a result: They set standards, wrote music history and are great to listen to even 30 years after - they created timeless, good music. Or timelessly good music, if you prefer.
However, label bosses admitted in interviews that nowadays bands that would sound like these would get kicked out sooner than you can say the f-word. Anybody know the first Pink Floyd album? N-O-B-O-D-Y of those "big cigar" guys would sign such a band today! They wouldn't stand a chance. It takes some guts to sign music that's not directly to the taste of the broad mass, support a band over some years and, with a bit of luck, be rewarded by having artists under contract that are recognisable because their music has some character and doesn't just blindly obey market rules. And this kind of music tends to be the one that prevails...
Nowadays, 90% of what they sign is musical fast food. Artificial casting marionets, empty masks, soulless and characterless muzak. Who gives a damn about all those casted bands after 5 years? Do you think ppl will enjoy listening to a boy group album in 30 years? Ridiculous!
And then they sell their CDs for prices that make you cry... and I'm lucky enough to live in a country where it's not THAT bad... but still.

2) By "protecting" their CDs more and more, they are getting an increasing number of ppl angry at them because often they can't even play a CD they just bought legally (i.e. too expensive)!

3) Their attempts to offer a P2P alternative are half-baked and uninteresting because
a) they can't come up with something central. They are all mistrusting each other and jealously guarding their profits against others, just like dragons guarding the heap of gold they're sleeping on. Fire up Kazaa or whatever, and you can get ANYTHING, from ANY time and ANY label. Try to use a big label's service and you'll find out that they only have their stuff.
b) they often cripple their download and player software so that you are dependent on it to d/l and play their songs. But if I PAY for a d/l'ed song, I wanna have the fucking right to play it wherever I want and with whatever player / playing device I like!
c) they make songs so expensive that in the end a CD costs just as much as before - the only change being that you don't have a nice CD layout, no booklet, no cover, no lyrics, no nothing. Great!

4) With their current signing policies, they are actively teaching young folk a throwaway mentality towards music. They actively teach them that music is short-lived, trend-dominated sound junk. They hype and market, and then... let me quote the band "Poverty's no Crime": "Someday you find out it's plastic but they made it shine".
No wonder kiddies don't see a value in music and d/l happily away, until they have their HDs filled with more muzak than they'll ever even hear!

Quite interestingly, if you look beyond the major labels, you will find many actice scenes and communities that have a bit of their own infrastructure (mailorders, websites, CD fairs) and somehow manage to sign quality bands, put their music on beautifully laid-out CDs AND sell the whole stuff for reasonable prices, although they KNOW they won't make millions with it. And interestingly enough, both bands and labels involved in such a scene tend to give away free MP3's to people - and survive.
And do you know why I think it works? Because these scenes are less dependent on shorttime trends and give a shit about the charts. This way, they focus on releasing good albums and make people feel that music still has a value. When I see that a band that will NEVER make much money releases a new album on a label that will NEVER become big and rich, I know one thing for sure: They don't do it for the $$$. And since they don't care about fashion and trends, I know that I will enjoy theyr music even many years later.
The result is a rather solid community and a kind of mutual trust: Labels don't spoil theyr CDs with hundreds of copy-protection mechanisms (ruining theyr usability) and the corresponding logos and legal notes (ruining the layout), and most ppl know sooner or later that most of these labels don't sign much bullshit and really buy albums.
Personally, I would buy less if I didn't have the possibility to d/l MP3's. How do I want to check out a band I didn't know so far? By listening to the radio, perhaps? Ridiculous. Radio = 99,9% chart muzak + 0,1 % 80's relicts you have heard so often that they have become a pain.
But if I hear that a band is really good, I want to have the CD - IF I can get it at a reasonable price, and 18 euros for a normal album (cheap 2-page booklet, standard packaging, no lyrics) is NOT a reasonable price. Fortunately, in the styles I like, much attention is payed to the overall appearance of an album, and 90% of them feature nice artwork+packaging (often DigiPak editions with bonus tracks / video clips available), lyrics... everything you want. I have ~400 CDs, and 5 or 6 of these are copies. (Btw, I wouldn't have bought them anyway...)

Phew. I feel better now.

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Last edited by >BKA< T Wrecks; 05-05-2004 at 12:29..

Old
  (#10)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

My Oh My, I think T Wrecks has got THE point !!! 8o

Quote:
4) With their current signing policies, they are actively teaching young folk a throwaway mentality towards music. They actively teach them that music is short-lived, trend-dominated sound junk. [...] No wonder kiddies don't see a value in music and d/l happily away, until they have their HDs filled with more muzak than they'll ever even hear!
Is that still "music" anyway ? Is that still ART ?

I think it's the whole culture that is being hijacked by the market. Look at movies: same thing. No way to produce a decent movie if you don't have millions of $$$ yourself and you refuse to be under the boot of a hollywood label. Other than that you'll be condemned to make yet another america-saves-the-world-again $2 movie (just kidding: not ALL Hollywood movies are like this... there are good ones... but less and less )

/me reminds of SoUlFaThEr's bot chat

Same thing for books. You can write basically anything you want, but if you want to make a living of it and be published, you'll have to write what the market expects, i.e, your publisher may like your book but if he doesn't think it will sell as good as another cheapass roman in the current fashion, you won't be published at all.

All in all I think it comes down to the respect you have for art. Respect can't be forced, you can't force people to respect a junk music they don't make use of as "music" but rather like some sort of "ambient sound", through fines and inprisonments. I think this measure may have some effect of intimidation but the problem won't be solved like this for sure, and sooner or later when both the dissidence and the repression will have reached insane heights ... something will happen ...

people will pull their mexican hats and riot together, ay caramba! 8D

...ah well, just kidding, nevermind, I'm talking out of my ass again

but this thread looks sooo serious...