.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games
Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games Discuss about Valve's new FPS game and its mods here Half-Life 2

Re: CS:S is terrible
Old
  (#41)
Kitire

Default Re: CS:S is terrible - 29-08-2005

They need to do what they did with hl1 deathmatch, just port graphics and physics to cs 1.6 o.O.. Also does anyone know what would be the best graphics card for the money in half-life 2 and far cry? I am thinking of 6600 gt but that is a little over my budget.

^ signature made by me =/

Old
  (#42)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: CS:S is terrible - 29-08-2005

Heyyo,

See if a 9800 pro is better, if lower? then try a 9600 pro or a fx5700. My 9600 pro works fine for hl2, I get some pretty decent graphics, but nowadays a 9600 pro is a almost tight budget vidcard. 9800 pro is budget, 6600gt is if you got some spare cash.. 7800gt if money ain't an issue.

Btw, for hl2dm, they diddn't port the damage scalings of hl1dm I think, it's definately tweaked bigtime, but in somecases it's good like the rocket launcher.

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#43)
Kitire

Default Re: CS:S is terrible - 30-08-2005

Yeah, 9600 sounds great, thanks .

^ signature made by me =/

Old
  (#44)
John Connor

Default Re: CS:S is terrible - 01-11-2005

I'm sure you guys know by now, but if you want proper physics in multiplayer/LAN/Listenserver w/bots...

Simply add this paramter to your listernserver/server.cfg file:

sv_turbophysics 1

This has always been there, but Valve in their "infinite wisdom" has it disabled by default.

Also, there is a huge slander-campagin going on by those who don't really want to learn new tactics* if these proper physics were implemented by saying it causes more load on the server CPU. It does cause more load due to the added physics calculations, but it is negligeable as I've played on servers that have it enabled and it makes the game a whole "new" game because you can use props to your advantage like blocking the little apartment in Italy with an overturned table, for example.

*What I mean by new tactics is exactly what I said: If someone turns a table over and blocks a doorway, for example, no one wants to learn how to deal with this new threat and instead just wants the same boring, "run-around-with-a-gun-with-your-brain-turned-off" game that CS 1.6 is.

=========

As for what video card to get...

The Source Engine is more CPU dependent than GPU. A good GPU will be better, of course, but the main thing Source performance relies on is a fast(er) CPU.

I have a 9800 Pro and while it is an "outdated" card, it runs CS:S just fine. Of course, I have an AMD64 3200+ as my CPU, so that may be why it runs as well as it does given the "limited" video hardware.

Last edited by John Connor; 01-11-2005 at 04:46..

Old
  (#45)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

Now, to the source enigne? your 9800 pro ain't outdated, it's the main card that HL2 was geared towards at the time of release. Go to CS_office n' bust open the computer, there's a 9800 pro in everyone, along side a soundblaster audigy.

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#46)
John Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarD
Heyyo,

Now, to the source enigne? your 9800 pro ain't outdated, it's the main card that HL2 was geared towards at the time of release. Go to CS_office n' bust open the computer, there's a 9800 pro in everyone, along side a soundblaster audigy.
True... But it is a last-gen card and I am getting a 6800 GT very soon. I don't play that many games anymore and this will be my last upgrade for what it is worth.

Also...

There a lot of things wrong with CS:S... But the main one that Valve needs to get on is the huge flaw in the netcode that adds to much latency where none should exist due to the messed up server side prediction.

For a detailed list of things that are wrong with source, including this crucial networking bug:

http://www24.brinkster.com/draxus99/source/

The list is only biased in that the author is a competitive player... But the evidence he gives (toward the bottom) about how bad the netcode is something Valve needs to address because all gamers, competitive or not, would benefit from this if they fix it AND it may bring in more gamers because it would improve the gameplay 10 fold as well.

Old
  (#47)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

and i though bf2 was the only game with really bad netcode.

Have been quoted [6] times

Old
  (#48)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

oh nooo, I happen to know quite a few others

But hey, that was quite a bump again !

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#49)
Lethal

I recommend serverly against getting a 6800gt / oc / le, 6800 = crap imho, the card was good at the time but now you can choose between the the new x18 series from ati and nvidia's current series of 7800. You will only regret getting a 6800 since they have the ability to play next gen games but in reality wont actually be able to and you are almost paying the same amount (about 7/10 of the price of the 7800gt it will be right now unless its a clearance sale.)

Old
  (#50)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: CS:S is terrible - 02-11-2005

Heyyo,

Whaat? I thought BF2 had incredible netcode compared to the original Battlefield engine's netcode. I shoot a heli with a tank round and it dies, I don't have to lead my shots cause of crappy airial unit netcode.

Now, to fix the hitboxes from running 3 feet infront of the player model, type this in the console:

cl_interp 0.0
cl_interpolate 0

this is another stupid console thing valve should've did better.

Rock Hound. (<Link)