.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Re: Bots and "other" game engines
Old
  (#11)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: Bots and "other" game engines - 13-03-2004

Are there forums for any of these bots? If so, then it would help to drop by and chat with people, let them know what we're up to.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#12)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Go for it, HangFire!

I've been visiting the jvbot website, a script-based multiplayer bot for Medal of Honor. It has a very active forum. It won't be easy to attract them in our Half-Life centered community. That's what scares me the most. These other bots won't feel at home. We need to be attractive for them. See how much trouble it is to get a HL bot maker to open just a forum here ? Cpl. Shrike for example is saying he wants to keep his current forum...

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#13)
Rick
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
Go for it, HangFire!

I've been visiting the jvbot website, a script-based multiplayer bot for Medal of Honor. It has a very active forum. It won't be easy to attract them in our Half-Life centered community. That's what scares me the most. These other bots won't feel at home. We need to be attractive for them. See how much trouble it is to get a HL bot maker to open just a forum here ? Cpl. Shrike for example is saying he wants to keep his current forum...
Same for me I don't want to move because my site is on esf itself, and I don't want to lose all my forum posts . afaik invision free won't let you transfer your stuff to another forum...

Old
  (#14)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

well then we should start to propose new organisation structures, i.e. not all should (have) to decide on everything. and each one of the council/mods/admins involved should be ready to do considerably more administrative (no not on the server *g*) work, like writing nice public documents, organise threads and build working teams to accomplish task like: re-organise the forum to fully reflect the comunity we want to become. make a decent start page which is not only optimised for google but also distinguishes us from other "amateur" boards. (i.e. become more than a board and individual project hosting)

but thats a lot of work not everyone might have expected when comming here, in turn i saw more than one regular here who can shurly do a lott, if BU finds a way to steer that into the "right" direction.

just my thoughts (4,5 cents *g*)

sunny morning view from my balcony:

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#15)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

that's worth more than 4,5 cents, memed.

It's the role of the president to steer all this in the right direction! President Stefan!! where are you when we need you ?

We need to work together and
1* Make a list of documents to produce
2* Dispatch tasks
3* Put deadlines

Open a thread dedicated to this here in the Agora where people would post their requests about the documents they would like Bots United to feature ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#16)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: Bots and "other" game engines - 14-03-2004

I think I read somewhere that Stefan's internet got cut off which is why he's gone missing.

I agree a restructuring is needed. In order to attract outside of HL. We'll have to start talking about generic bot AI that can apply to any type of game engine.

For example, if we look at the "united bot" idea, there's a whole lot of design work that can be done which has nothing to do with HL and may be very attractive to people who are working outside of HL.

I think the "united bot" thread which is here
http://forums.bots-united.com/showth...=9080#post9080 should be made into a forum of its own, and prioritized as THE primary technical project of Bots United. If we succeed, it will be a great acheivement in collabration and something that can be applied across game engines - and hopefully serve as a bridge for cross game engine bot develoment.

Note: Please check out my latest post in the united bot thread. I have some new ideas showing how we can actually build a cross game engine bot.

*whew* I need to relax now.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#17)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Bots and "other" game engines - 25-03-2004

goals:
- get a non-hl coder here and interested to join BU
- get ourselves into other game worlds, dig new information sources.
- get a start with United Bot

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me