meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Ideas
Ideas One idea per thread please! :)

cpu usage/letting more bots run
Old
  (#1)
person135

Default cpu usage/letting more bots run - 16-10-2006

Hi, right now, I have a pretty crappy computer. I have to run a dedicated server and join it using another computer in order for the bots to run smoothly. And even then, sometimes I lag. All my computers suck (meaning they are at least more than 3 years old).

Currently, I can run 13 bots with around 130 ping and a little lag sometimes(I have to close everything on my computer before playing cs). I would like to be able to run more bots at the same time and have almost no lag.

So, KWo, I know this might not be possible, but can you make the bots use less CPU or make them not use so much memory or something so that I can run more bots without them slowing down and causing lag. You know how if you run too many bots, they slow down. (If I run too many bots or my computer is using too much CPU while I'm running the server, the bots slow down very much. All their actions slow down, their senses, preception, movement, etc.)

Re: cpu usage/letting more bots run
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: cpu usage/letting more bots run - 16-10-2006

If You are using some Anty-virus software while playing CS - on older PC it may cause also some lags - so if You have it enabled, try to disable it while playing CS. Try yapb or epb - they are causing more lags (about 20-40% or so) than pb mm which seems at the moment the most optimized bot. I'm planning to reduce a bit usage of fireing tracelines during one frame, which should reduce a CPU usage again a bit, but I don't think it willl affect it more than 5-7%. I don't think this what You posted is a bug. I'm moving it to ideas.

The slow-motion effect - I'll take a look at yapb - I've been talking about that with strelomet. He told me something about jumping FPS and slow-down effect while using gpGlobals->frametime to calculate msec value.

Old
  (#3)
person135

Default Re: cpu usage/letting more bots run - 16-10-2006

well, I think it's just that my computer doesn't have enough memory or something to be able to run all the bots at the same time. Is there no other way to make the bots run better? Maybe there is some coding or something that will make them run even better? Like maybe replacing a function with a simpler one? Maybe make them run better by reducing the cost of bot perceptions or something?

I turned off botchat, hoping it would reduce usage.

Old
  (#4)
jeefo
путинхуйлоебаное

Default Re: cpu usage/letting more bots run - 17-10-2006

Turning off bot chat won't help... Can you write your computer specs here? I work on my old PC very often, and plays on it too (P3-866 / 256 MB / GF 4 MX440), so i haven't noticed any slowmotion, while bots number is < 17. If higher yes. But note i have running Visual Studio 05 (which minimum reqs for CPU 1000MHz ) & Winamp & ICQ client, at that time & i am playing with YaPB (with the msec method, that PBMM use), which eats more memory & CPU.

So i advice to check for video drivers updates, and remove unneeded programs from startup. (it may help).

Old
  (#5)
person135

lol you'll laugh at this:
first computer (I usually run the dedicated server on this):
compaq presario
9gb harddisk
~500 mhz
512 RAM

second computer (I usually play cs on this computer):
gateway
4gb harddisk
~500 mhz (for some reason, this one is faster than the other one)
128 RAM (I thought it was more...)
This computer for some reason runs faster but is less stable

*note, none of these 2 computers run cs completely smoothly yet

btw, I close all applications that I can before running the ds and playing cs.

Old
  (#6)
jeefo
путинхуйлоебаное

your second PC just a little better, than PC that recommended for CS 1.6, so i belive you need to ask KWo to add different msec method for you, to be able to play without bots slow-motion...

Old
  (#7)
Ancient
PodBot MM's Laziest Waypointer

Actually I think the first computer should run great as a server.

But MHZ should be higher...

I thought there was a pb_danger_factor 800 in the pb config. // Maybe thats causing more lag?

[Web Designer][Waypointer][Gamer]
CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com
[Never Trust the Untrusted]

Old
  (#8)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
I thought there was a pb_danger_factor 800 in the pb config. // Maybe thats causing more lag?
Yeah - You can try to lower it down to 200, but in the current pb mm code it shouldn't affect the CPU usage like it was in R2Bxx. I've optimized the usage of the code at round start (excatly at bot's spawn) to prevent calculate all bots their paths in the same first frame of the new round.

Old
  (#9)
person135

No I'm not saying the bots all move slow. They only move slow if I play them on a really complex and big map (like de_survivor maybe?) and if I add too many bots. Currently, 14 bots work pretty good. I think adding a couple more might not make them run slow.

Also, I changed pb_danger_factor to 225, the bot perception stuff to really high
(like bot_sound 2.5 bot_pickup 5 bot_grenade 3.0)

Yes I agree that the first computer should have more mhz. However, none of these computer are just worth working on. They are all old. If I should update any computer, I might as well buy a new one. After all, even a $200 new dell computer should be better than any of mine. Also, maybe if I defragment them, they'll run faster.