.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Forge of Digital Worlds > Mapping > HL Engine Mapping
HL Engine Mapping Maps for the Half-Life engine Half-Life

Re: unfinished map
Old
  (#21)
GreenMan

Default Re: unfinished map - 23-01-2004

hehe, dont apologise PMB, for a first map its absolutely AMAZING, you should see my first ever map (it was for quake, it was a room with double barrelled shotgun, two grunts and a dog half stuck in the floor lol)

im very impressed with the map overall, it looks purdy and for a first timer your use of vertex editing was really great, the map only had 2 problematic brushes which i have removed, i usually completely cock everything up when i use vertex editing and ive been mapping for years hehe

with regards to MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES, if anyone wants to know what that is, i believe it means that there is too much open space. in order to crack down on this i intend to put clipping brushes in nooks and crannies that players cant fit into anyway (correct me if im wrong How.Dare.You ) with any luck it wont affect gameplay at all

fingers crossed, hopefully How.Dare.You and myself will get PMB's map running smoothly

PS: how come the ZHLT compiler didnt pick this problem up? i get no error at all

Last edited by GreenMan; 23-01-2004 at 14:46..

Old
  (#22)
How.Dare.You

The error was reported in my compile log at the top and used about 2 lines of text. It was real easy to miss (and i did several times ).

so far i have the entire outside (apart from around the top of the building) and i'm still getting the MAX_CLIPNODES. Time to start inside the building

Old
  (#23)
How.Dare.You

I HAVE THE MAP RUNNING!!!!!! wOOOt!!

The main room need cutting down in size as you can see the skybox (if you stand at one end of the map and look at the other end) through the walls. Or put dividing walls in their and make several smaller rooms, however this will spoil the look of the cathedral.

Unfortunatly I can only get 6.7fps. The epoly count is 0, the wpoly count is 6845. This is well above the maximum wpoly count. It's gonna be real hard (almost impossable) to get the wpoly count down.

Although I could be wrong and GreenMan can sort it.

Last edited by How.Dare.You; 23-01-2004 at 15:40..

Old
  (#24)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

I was thinking... would it help if some of the more complex brushes were made separately into .mdl files ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#25)
GreenMan

i too have the map running, its looking nice so far, though How.Dare.You is right, the map IS very complex and it may not be playable online, im currently hitting 6fps, same as How.Dare.You

however, do not despair, because firstly im running it at full brightness (no radiosity because there arent any lights in the map yet! ), running the map with radiosity would improve the framerate VASTLY, and also i havent VISed the map because it takes too long to compile (that should hopefully cut down the r_speeds considerably), so not all is lost yet!

by the way, you can increase the max viewable distance by going to map -> map properties and altering the "max viewable distance" setting (its default is 4097 or something like that, i decided to double it which works great)

Old
  (#26)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

8D screenshotz guyz 8D screenshots plz 8D

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#27)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

l33t! i want to see some screenies too!

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#28)
GreenMan

mapping is a funny old business, for some reason the "max_clip_nodes" error (which i had previously fixed) has magically come back and now it wont go away

im trying to get this thing sorted but it refuses to work ill get it done in the end, some day hehe

ah well, keep plugging, thats the key!

Old
  (#29)
How.Dare.You

Default Re: unfinished map - 25-01-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan
by the way, you can increase the max viewable distance by going to map -> map properties and altering the "max viewable distance" setting (its default is 4097 or something like that, i decided to double it which works great)
I live to learn something new everyday I didn't know about this feature lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan
mapping is a funny old business, for some reason the "max_clip_nodes" error (which i had previously fixed) has magically come back and now it wont go away
Try turning the walls into func_wall, this helped me cut the MAX_CLIPNODES problem out.

Last edited by How.Dare.You; 25-01-2004 at 11:42..

Old
  (#30)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: unfinished map - 27-01-2004

Hey how.dare.you old man Let these guys know about mean_underground, that was a cool map. Got any new ones going?

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut