.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

[oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server
Old
  (#1)
ben5015se

Post [oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server - 07-03-2008

** LINK REMOVED **

Quote:
The above project has now reached what I'll call "standalone beta" stage. There are a large number of bugs and unimplemented features that prevent it from being anything more than a toy or proof of concept, but it works, so enjoy (and help debug it).

Reasons why this is inferior to the regular HLDS:

Immediate bugs seriously affecting gameplay:
* No server console. The console would work if I non-blockingly scanned for input every frame, but I'm holding off until I can thread it.
* Hit and miss connectivity. Clients get stuck in a connection loop ~50% of the time, and eventually time out or end the attempt themself.
* PAS and PVS tables seem to be messed up. Result: explosions cannot be seen or heard, and God only knows if bullets are still hitting.

Crucial issues:
* Timing bugs are present. The 'feel' is a bit off, but I can't identify anything beyond that.
* No banning, rcon, logging, or pretty much any other non-critical features are implemented.
* About a quarter of functions that mods can call are unimplemented, so mods other than the base HL mod probably won't work.

Annoying issues:
* Names are sometimes mangled in connection.
* Custom decals are broken
* No bubbles in the water
* Standing on a rotating object won't rotate the player. Actually, that's kind've nice...
* To run it, you need the Boost filesystem library, and that's not easy to link to.

Reason why this is not inferior to the regular HLDS:

*I wrote it, and plan on updating it, and you can write to it too

This is a unix program, and you'll have to compile it yourself.
A windows binary exists, but CRASHES. The mod DLL seems to be calling data, indicating an alignment issue (long story short, windows != unix).

Since I don't have a dedicated unix box, and had to rely on VMware, I have not been able to test with multiple people. I wouldn't be surprised to find that breaks things.
hey

basically its just a beta version of rguest's hlds
its completely opensource (gpl'd), it runs nice right now but is full of bugs, what ever, its further than anyone has gotten before so its alright.

the reason im posting is because, on the WON2 forum's there aren't really any other developers other than the people on the won2 dev team.

Rguest is looking for some help with this to get it working to current hlds standards, possibly add steam support after everything is working (although adding steam support now probably wouldn't be difficult). The more help he gets the faster it will leave the beta stage

you can get the sourcecode and the proof of concept windows binary from his webpage:
** LINK REMOVED **

even if your not a developer, it is definitely something to check out, this is the beginning of a half-life evolution.

thanks guys, have fun.

Last edited by Whistler; 07-03-2008 at 14:23..

Re: [oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: [oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server - 07-03-2008

Steamless project is illegal, because it lets You play with CS without necessity to buy a CD with a key to play it. That's why VALVE banned it. Since it's illegal it's not supported at any serious forum. So please don't ask here for any help for that. And please don't post any link to illegal stuff here. I believe You just didn't know it's illegal, but since now You are informed about that so please keep our rules about posting/not posting anything about something which is considered by us as illegal.

Old
  (#3)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: [oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server - 07-03-2008

I don't think this is illegal unless the author copied Valve's code into there

EDIT: I've seen the code. It seems many large chunks of the code are based on disassemblying Valve's HL engine, and not a clean reimplemention.

For this reason, I've removed the link. Sorry man. Anyways feel free to re-add the links if I'm wrong, or when you managed to replace all those stuff

Last edited by Whistler; 07-03-2008 at 14:31..

Old
  (#4)
ben5015se

Default Re: [oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server - 08-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo View Post
Steamless project is illegal, because it lets You play with CS without necessity to buy a CD with a key to play it. That's why VALVE banned it. Since it's illegal it's not supported at any serious forum. So please don't ask here for any help for that. And please don't post any link to illegal stuff here. I believe You just didn't know it's illegal, but since now You are informed about that so please keep our rules about posting/not posting anything about something which is considered by us as illegal.

im not here to argue but really; i think its a good idea to think about what your typing before you do so.

the only illegal part to the steamless project is the hlds patch, thats the only thing

fortunetaly most servers are hosted outside of the us so the DMCA has no jurisdiction. sure users can download the game and play without a serial - you can do it on steam too , but for us that own the game, we can do this without any legal worries. hell guy, its not even against the EULA for half-life 1 to work on a different network (different story for half-life 2, but its not a network problem if someone chooses to use our network for it), and even if it was, most users on the network are still under 18 allowing them to be exempt from contracts (dont trust me? look it up yourself.)

its 100% legal to play on if you own the game.

as for the oshlds, most things are going to be replaced soon..

Old
  (#5)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: [oshlds] opensource half-life dedicated server - 08-03-2008

nope - modifing and distributing copyrighted material without the copyright holder's authorization are always illegal according to the traditional copyright law (not the DMCA). However reimplement everything without copying the original is 100% legal unless there are ideas which are encumbered by software idea patents.