Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

Wine and CS
Old
  (#1)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Wine and CS - 26-02-2005

Heyyo,

I really wanna get my linux and wine and cs working.. so I decided to ask you guys for help since I can't get it going myself.

I have Fedora core 3 (latest update) version of Linux.. forget my version of wine (relatively new.. maybe latest), and of course my CS retail cd. I installed CS on my HD using wine (I was told this's how you got it to work) but my keyboard won't work, and my menu won't update if I select an option and it doesn't go away if I create a lan server... Help? If you can link me to a good article I'd appreciate it!

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Re: Wine and CS
Old
  (#2)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: Wine and CS - 27-02-2005

use command lines like:
wine hl.exe -game cstrike +maxplayers 8 +map de_dust2
and it should be okay...
also make sure you are using OpenGL mode instead of software or D3D mode, if you can't set the menu, use windowed mode "-windowed" to start the HL

the hl.exe file is MFC application (highly M$ specific!!) so don't expect it very well

btw, I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 beta version and it works, although not perfect

(it would work better with Steam as steam isn't MFC, but you need to install M$ Internet Explorer first and I didn't try it)

Last edited by Whistler; 27-02-2005 at 03:04..

Old
  (#3)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: Wine and CS - 28-02-2005

Heyyo,

I r teh n00b.. soz for this retarded question... but..

what's the diff between i386 and i686? I'm guessing it referrs to processors..

I'm currently tyring i386 cause I figured that's what I have... beat some sense into me if I'm wrong and that's why CS is lagtacular..

AMD athonXP 3000+ is my cpu btw..

[EDIT]
OMG... I just noticed there was an "athlon" version... no wonder it ran bad... if one of you wishes to kill me, I understand.. *hands dagger to PMb* hey, it's his B-Day, he should get first stab.

[EDIT2]
Found this, a guide to get steam working on linux:

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=17

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Last edited by MarD; 28-02-2005 at 19:39..

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Wine and CS - 01-03-2005

FIRST STAB!!!! DIE!!!!!!!!

lol nah... we may still need a canuck who speaks french around here

ok.. my 2 cents about that. <teacher mode="on"> Usually Linux libraries (for some weirdass reason, don't know why, it's not even in no RFC or stuff) they end up with _ix86, meaning in x86 the minimum processor level you gotta have to run it. Heavily simplified: you know the difference between processors. It's not only electronics, meaning that they don't *only* put more wires (or wire the existing ones better for that matter), they also invent new ASM (=assembly, machine language... sorry, I'm being obvious ) instuctions. Actually, that's more "instruction sets". For example, "MMX" that they invented in 1996 or around there, that stands for "MultiMedia eXtensions" is just a set of assembly instructions very audio/video-oriented that work on newest processors (supporting MMX). Idem, "3DNow" (from AMD) is another instruction set that eases the work of 3D cards... And recently, "SSE" is another set of instructions introduced by Intel that enables a processor to treat several chunks of data with one single instruction (like if you were said "add 3 to the N next bytes you see coming on the wire"). Modern compilers can make use of these instructions and produce optimized "binaries" (i.e executable files) that run faster on processors that support these extensions, but on a barebones 386, these binaries wouldn't run, they would just crash the machine because the processor wouldn't know what to do with these new instructions. For some weird reason, the guys at Microsoft have been smarter (or less dumb) than the others, cos they decided to put an identifier in their library files (DLLs and .LIB files) just for that. So that when a Windows OS is told to run a particular file, if that file tells it that it won't run if you don't have a SSE/3DNow processor (like P3/P4/K6-2/Athlon), your proggy will just refuse to run but the OS won't crash. On the other hand, in the UNIX/Linux world, the only dumb idea they found to tell the difference between binaries that can run on a 386 and binaries that can run on a 486 (386 with wider memory bus), 586 (Pentium), 686 (Pentium with MMX) or 786 (Pent with MMX and SSE or 3DNow), that was just to append _x86 ath the end of the filename. That means, if you have a library compiled with MMX/SSE/3DNow extensions and all, and you have a recent machine, you can call it MyLibrary_i386.so, MyLibrary_i486.so, MyLibrary_i586.so, or MyLibrary_i686.so. If you have a 686 machine (w/ MMX & 3DNow and crap) that won't make any difference, your game will run. But if you have a 386 machine, if you try to run a lib that has been compiled with i686 extensions, --> crash. The only thing to remember from that rambling: if yev got Linux, use da lib that correspond to yer pross'. Damn, that was long. Where's my beer? Ah, here.

9_9

How come I write texts that long? I should see a doc.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#5)
Brainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
lol nah... we may still need a canuck who speaks french around here
Well, I may not be Canadian, but je parle un petit peux de françasi aussi... so stab away.

Old
  (#6)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

.... *stabs Brainz with switchblade I bought in Mexico*

Lol, I wanna have some fun too.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind.. well, whatever of that huge response that I can keep held in me mind.

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#7)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

OK after that now MarD can you start your CS on the Linux OS ?

Old
  (#8)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

I'm downloading the athlon version of Wine at home as we speak, once I'm done school that'll be there, and so will be some updates (getting a kernel update)

somethin's weird with me comp... tux racer refuses to work... it tries to change the screen rez, then it goes back to me norm rez n' nothing happens... is it trying to change it to a screen rez beyond what me monitor supports?

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#9)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

pmb, sse, sse2 and mmx is always for a fixed number of data items, like 2 or 4 floats .. ( btw, some benchmark : http://johannes.lampel.net/projects/bifurk )

anyway, back to the topic : Don't drink and play cs. that's can be fun, but remember all those little kids you could kill along the road

Last edited by @$3.1415rin; 01-03-2005 at 22:26..

Old
  (#10)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

did I say "heavily simplified"?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."