.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Programming
General Programming Help others and get yourself helped here!

I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's
Old
  (#1)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 30-01-2004

Well, I'm finally taking the plunge. I completely removed Windows 2K from one of my servers to make room for Linux. Now it is just sitting there begging me to make it work again.

I have two goals: to learn Linux well enough to do my own installations and configurations, and to convert all my software over to the Linux platform, that includes php, MySql and C++ coding.

This will be a major effort because I've only a very limited knowledge of Linux, however I have worked with computers and multiple OS's over a number of years, so I expect (pray) I'll learn quickly.

My first question is what Linux should I be using? It seems Redhat no longer supports Linux and that Debian may be the route to go http://www.debian.org/

Any help and advice is appreciated !

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's
Old
  (#2)
nocturnal

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 30-01-2004

I recently made the jump to linux also, tho I still use windows primarily on my main computer. I would really recommend Xandros and Lindows

Old
  (#3)
Austin

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 31-01-2004

If you are just getting started with UNIX/LINUX
Then
"LINUX in a Nutshell" is a must.
O'Reilly.
ISBN 0-596-00482-6

They are wise enough to break the commands down by general area like File management, Communication, programming, system status, etc.

So you get an overall road map of everything before you jump in and get totally confused with all of the awkwardly named commands.

Start with one area first until you have it down, like File Management for example. It will save you much trouble later. Plan on it taking some time. Don't expect to have LINUX installed and be building your apps in a day or two...

I would start with File Management then I would learn a shell and a text editor next. THEN I would try to start getting things done. It can be too frustrating otherwise.

Just simple things like knowing how to do command redos and editing is really helpful to know first.

Good choice going LINUX! I was on UNIX in the days if HP-UX, IBM AIX, SO... but have been away from it for a while. Iam righ tbehind you and will go Ret Hat since I will have commercial Web sites and want the support and automatic updates. Plus I don't mind "donating" some back to the community to help ward off folks like MS+SCO who are really trying their best to eliminate or at the lest cause as much trouble as possible for the free people of the world..

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE what happens in the next few years as L CONTINUES to take OVER THE WORLD!
WELCOME!

Last edited by Austin; 31-01-2004 at 03:17..

Old
  (#4)
BAStumm

Redhat now has two versions...

Fedora is the free version of redhat, its bleeding edge and has no (pay) support.

Redhat is a pay os that comes with support and is meant for corporations and stuff.

Redhat works well for development, least thats what I use. I run two servers (one for game, other for web, db, email and everything else). Neither of them have monitors or keyboards. I use ssh under windows to have remote console. nano (or pico) is a simple text editor, I use it for php and c stuff.

Old
  (#5)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Thanks for the help !!! I'm eating up all of this. I agree that getting a good Linux reference book is a must. I'll order the book Austin recommeneds.

I'm still unsure about which Linux version to use. I'm not concerned at all about compatibility with Windows, I have enough computers running Windows, all I'd want is the ability to file share at most, if even that.

What Linux do most people use?

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#6)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Hi,
try the Mandrake Linux, it's based on RedHat stuff, with added tools and gui tools. well dokumented, open and very up-todae software collections. A 3-cd install will provide all you need.

Cheers

Old
  (#7)
Cephas

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 01-02-2004

If your new and never used Linux before, stay with a linux distro such as Redhat, Debian, Mandrake, SuSe. After you learn how linux works and installs, then i'd goto a distro such as Slackware, Arch, or Stampede.

In my opinion using a distro such as redhat has no major gains over using a Microsoft Windows product.

Old
  (#8)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

A friend of mine is very content with debian ... havnt tested it myself though.

i'm currently running suse 9.0 here

Old
  (#9)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

In my experience is that linux could not detect all my hardware, for example my video card. This was quite funny in a way, to see Linux (mandrake 9.3) saying "Cannot detect your video card" in a 32 bits 1024x768 modus...

anyway, it was half a year back then. I am still interested in Linux. I tried knoppix for fun and that worked okay. I should probably backup a lot of stuff before i will even think about going to Linux. As i have another experience with it that was like 100 times reinstalling it because i messed the Linux settings up with a click on a button (yes, i was root, and thats probably evil... )

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#10)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

( i am downloading a Debian distro , latest stable. With 100kb sec. So it will take a while to grab all 7 cd's...)

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me