.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums irc server wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps waypoints yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Re: Navigation using AABB
Old
  (#31)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Navigation using AABB - 1 Week Ago

Ok :-) I'll post some decent footage tonight of them in action. I was quite pleased when a marine missed his jump and fell down behind some railings. He crouched and made his way through some vents, jumped over another set of railings to get back on the path and quickly reached his destination

Old
  (#32)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Navigation using AABB - 2 Days Ago

https://youtu.be/bl4BsC7cvhM

A new update. I have been working hard on perfecting the steering behaviours and I think I've got it pretty solid. Bots now rarely get stuck, and if they do they can usually get out of it pretty quickly. Here you can see the skulk handling more complex paths without a hitch. The way it handles vents in particular is really slick.

The movement is still a little wobbly in places, this is partly because the bot tries to stick more closely to the precise route. It does this by checking its distance from the path and if it's too high, it corrects and moves closer to it. I am being quite strict right now to avoid the bot getting caught on obstacles when navigating narrow passages, but some more tweaking will find the right balance

Next up, I want to handle button-operated doors. This will require adding a "detour" feature, so you can calculate a path and then, if it crosses a button-operated door, add a detour to where the button is. This hopefully will not be too difficult!

Old
  (#33)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Navigation using AABB - 2 Days Ago

Little "wobbly" is really mildly said at least from what I saw on the video. The bot is moving like a cyborg with a stick.

No offense, but I think you should perfect the movement before starting to play with buttons.

Old
  (#34)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Navigation using AABB - 1 Day Ago

Bah you're right. I think I've spent too much time tweaking it so I stopped noticing how bad it looked. I'll get there