.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Re: Sniper functions show only black
Old
  (#11)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Sniper functions show only black - 20-10-2008

Very likely something recently added or corrupted in /etmain. For example the mini-mods that just change the look of the sniper scope (z_thermal_scope_ET.pk3 and z&z_NightVisionScope.pk3) do work, but if corrupt they would likely create a problem like what you are experiencing. Also check whether pak0.pk3 is corrupt.

Old
  (#12)
[|*|] Nemesis D.

How do I check it for corruption?

Are there mods out that will modify the file?

Old
  (#13)
TomTom

You can test the .pk3 files with winzip or winrar (just associate .pk3 files with whichever you prefer). You can unzip the shader file too (it is text) and look inside for...
/scripts/gfx_misc.shader
Code:
gfx/misc/reticlesimple
{
    nomipmaps
    nopicmip
    {
        map gfx/misc/reticle_eq.tga
        blendfunc filter
    }
}
BTW if you use /sv_pure 0 (unpure server) check also to see if you have a /script subdirectory(s) that might have a bad .shader file (you can test for this by setting /sv_pure 1, exit and restart fritzbot).

It is possible that some mod could modify pak0.pk3 but most mods won't. Generally they will install some of their own pk3 files that may contain a modified version of the files needed. ET will then load the newer version of the file either from the mods own subdirectory (for major mods) or if placed in /etmain then it is used because the packed file is loaded after pak0.pk3 (thus the z prefixing the sniper mod pak files mentioned earlier).

And while the shader and graphic are the most likely corrupted it is also possible that an unrelated file loaded before these is the culprit.
---
Using Windows explorer , the way I generally go about finding a problem file in etmain is I create a temp sub-directory, then move all the .pk3 files (except pak0 to pak3) into the temp directory. Then I test one of the 6 official maps and if the problem is gone I move a big chunk of pk3 files back in (no more than half of those that are in the temp directory), then retest, and repeat the move back until I find a group of files where the problem lies. Then I move that bad group into another temp directory and move half of them back, retest etc. eventually finding which file is incompatible. If the original problem only occurs with a particular map ( say a bad map texture) then I leave that map's pk3 file in etmain along with pak0-3 and use it for testing instead of one of the original maps. Basically I do a binary search method.

BTW I tested what the effect of a missing shader etc. would be, And you would not see black, so it is more likely a corruption or conflict.

Last edited by TomTom; 20-10-2008 at 23:29..

Old
  (#14)
[|*|] Nemesis D.

Default Re: Sniper functions show only black - 21-10-2008

Thanks for the help, TomTom, I'll let you know what I find.

Old
  (#15)
[|*|] Nemesis D.

The pak0.pk3 file is intact, and that function in the script location is present.

If I understand this correctly, it means that something loading after pak0.pk3 (anything with a filename that comes after it) is paving over the scope function with something black or incompatible?

I'm currently going through every file in there after pak0.pk3 looking for the problem in a manner similar to what you suggest.

Would it work if I put a bunch of 'z' characters in front of pak0.pk3, or would that screw up things that rely on that file?

Old
  (#16)
[|*|] Nemesis D.

Thanks for the help, TomTom, I'll let you know what I find.

Old
  (#17)
TomTom

Putting a bunch of zzz's in front of pak0 is a interesting idea and should be generally OK (except for some map script fixes in pak1 and pak2 and some menu changes in pak2). I briefly tested pak0 as "Copy of pak0.pk3" and it worked fine. Indeed it also exposed some mods that were included in a packed version of northpole (northpole_who.pk3 to be precise) that I had downloaded but never seen because N is before P.

Now if no .pk3 shows up to be a problem I would then check and see what is different in your standard .cfgs (default.cfg, server.cfg, etconfig.cfg...) though I can't think of what in a cfg could cause your problem. There can also be some problems when too many files are in etmain but again I don't believe that can result in your symptoms either.

Old
  (#18)
[|*|] Nemesis D.

Well, I haven't nailed down which file has caused the problem, but I have fixed the problem.

I uninstalled the game, then backed up all the maps that I use with Fritz from /etmain, then deleted all files left in the dir (sent to recycle bin), except the etmain folder, which I just renamed as /etmain_backup.

I then reinstalled the game, patched it, and restored all the items from the recycle bin, and dumped my map files (and axis uniform mod) back into /etmain.

Problem solved. The game still runs all the maps I use, sniping works again, and as a nice side-effect, annoying clan crap has been removed from menus everywhere.

Thanks for all your assistance TomTom. You've been very helpful and friendly. I will keep trying to locate the exact source of the problem and let you know if I ever find it.