.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

Re: Small spawn flag problem
Old
  (#11)
the bindlestiff

Default Re: Small spawn flag problem - 21-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
I'm thinking that you have the nodes setup in such a way that even when they realize they're stuck, the closest node is on the other side of the flag, and they can't find a way out of the corner.
You hit the nail on the head, as usual!

I tracked the problem down a couple of hours ago. What had happened first was that a bot would spawn directly behind the flagpole on the opposite side of the path node and get stuck. I figured that he couldn't see the node on the other side of the flagpole, so I laid a pair of nodes behind the flag in the spawning area and led it around the flag to the door. That fixed the bot getting stuck behind the flag, but then one to three of them would get stuck right on top of the path that I had provided for them to get out. Not all of the spawning bots, just a few.

I tried repeatedly spawning myself to see if I would get stuck, reasoning that if I did it'd be a map problem and if I didn't, it'd be a bot problem. It was a bot problem. I finally spectated directly above the problem area and noticed that the two path node radii were just BARELY ovelapping. Reducing the radii fixed the problem! I figure that the bots had stepped into a gray area between nodes and couldn't decide where they were because of receiving the simultaneous conflicting data from two nodes and so froze in place.

Unfortunately, the reduced radii allowed the bot to get stuck behind the flag again. My final solution was to place a path node directly behind the flag and then lead the bot around the flag to the open air. Just as you just described in your post!

Hopefully, this thread will help other waypointers who get into a similar predicament.

Old
  (#12)
Maleficus

BTW: was checking out MP_PLATFORMS. Its a great map and a lot of fun, but I noticed that the bots were getting stuck on the flags a lot.

I did some checking: nodes with the CP_FLAG type was correctly set near the CP flags, but the entity number of the flag was never set for that node.

The bots NEED that entity number, so that they know which flag it is that path node points to. When I set the correct entity number in the node, the bots problems stopped, and they capped the flags if it wasn't theirs, but moved on if it was.

I don't know if the spawn flag problem was the same, but if a node ever has a CP_FLAG set or a SPAWNFLAG set for its flags, it also must have the entity number of that CP/SPAWN flag set as well.

This will make them perform MUCH better on platforms, and perhaps your other map too.

Cheers!

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#13)
renartthefox
thefox

Thanks Mal, I will get that corrected!

-=(thef0x)=-