meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life and HL1 Mods
Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

please modify these cvars to boost fps
Old
  (#1)
chelseafc0512

Default please modify these cvars to boost fps - 20-06-2009

i am playing cs 1.6 offline with bot.i use amxx (i only use nofalldamage plugin).the fps frequently=60 but the bots appear choppy .
(there is a tutorial :"a value of cl_updaterate 101 will tell your client to use ex_interp 0.009, but you won’t actually be receiving 100 updates per second, so the players will appear choppy").
in some maps sometimes the fps drops to 30 when i play with 20 bots.i think that i play offline ,so the fps must be high
i think i don't set a right value for cvars.
please modify these cvars for me .does it effects to my fps?
1.what value should i set to this cvar(0 or 1) when i play offline with bot?
cl_allowdownload
cl_allowupload
sv_allowdownload
sv_allowupload

2.here some cvars i think they effect to fps:
mp_consistency "0"
ex_extrapmax "10"
cl_dlmax "1024"
sv_maxupdaterate "101"
sv_minupdaterate "20"
sys_ticrate "110"
cl_rate "9999"
rate "20000"
ex_interp "0"
sv_maxrate "0"
cl_cmdrate "40"
cl_updaterate "80"
fps_max "101"

please tell me which cvars effects to fps and please modify their value to compatible with me to remove the choppy appearance and make high fps (always around 60 not drop to 30)
cpu: intel dual core 2.6ghz(E5300)
ram: ddr2 1gb transcend
vga onboard 256 mb
hdd hitachi 160 gb 7200 rpm
display: lcd viewsonic VA1716w MAX REFRESH RATE: 75 hz
may i have to buy a video card?what is compatible with this game?
sorry for broken english

Re: please modify these cvars to boost fps
Old
  (#2)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: please modify these cvars to boost fps - 22-06-2009

The only cvar here that can effect the fps in your case is fps_max that is set correct. The other values (sv_) have effect only when you host online server and people are joining to play, the (cl_) commands that you posted have effect when you are joining to an online server. Try to disable the vertical synchronization from your video card control panel. Btw this onboard video sounds really bad...

Old
  (#3)
chelseafc0512

Default Re: please modify these cvars to boost fps - 25-06-2009

ok thank you very much,The Storm,
but i have read a tutorial:http://gaminglan.blogspot.com/2008/1...strike-16.html
"It does not matter whether you have a graphic card or not, but what you really need is a good Processor and RAM
In the game if you press a key then that goes to the main processor instead of the GPU - Graphical Processing Unit
If you are hosting a dedicated server or listen server, no matter how good graphic card you have, you server may lag. This is because of the processor or RAM."
i see that when many bots appear in one time in a place, the entity polygon(epoly) increase very fast,so i think it 's the reason.is there a solution to increase fps? or it 's because of the game?
can video card solve this problem?if yes , which video card is enough?
so i wonder what i have to buy:a processor or a video card?

Last edited by chelseafc0512; 25-06-2009 at 17:03..

Old
  (#4)
The Storm

Default Re: please modify these cvars to boost fps - 25-06-2009

The CPU and RAM are good enough to play CS, about GFX - any GeForce from series 6 up will do good, but if you like to play games anyway better get something like GeForce 8800 GT and one more Gig RAM. The tutorial that you have read maybe is more targeted to a Dedicated Servers( i.e. when you host a server but you are not playing as client in it from the same machine ). So I can say that the GFX have a lot of stuff to do with the FPS.

Old
  (#5)
chelseafc0512

Default 12-07-2009

yes thank you very much ,the storm, it helps me so much.so i will spend money to buy the video card you 've told
.i see that when many bots appear at a time in a place, the models polygon increase very fast,so i think it 's the reason,.i think that the game lags when there is >8 bot see each other.i don't know it 's because processor or not.do you think my processor is enough in this case?
(sorry because i 'm not rich enough to buy hardware without wondering :d)

Old
  (#6)
The Storm

Default Re: please modify these cvars to boost fps - 13-07-2009

The CPU is good enough, in your case the new video and one more gig ram will be more than enough to play CS smooth. I just checked out and it seems that GeForce 9800GT price have become real low compared to the previous 6 months, so better get that instead of 8800GT. So here is the deal:

GeForce 9800 GT - 120 USD
1GB RAM - around 20-30 USD

Total: ~150 USD or in Euro ~107.28 currently and you will be able to play most of the modern games on high details.

Old
  (#7)
chelseafc0512

Default 25-07-2009

thank you, the storm and how to make the game support dual core?there is a tutor i 've read:
"task manager displays 50% cpu usage that means one of the two of dual cpu cores in the cpu is at maximum usage.
Since HL 1 games only use one of the cpu cores on your system, the other cpu core is not being used.
You can force CS to use the other unused cpu core by first starting game then minimize the game (Alt+Tab) or (Windows Key) and turn on task manager (ctrl+alt+delete)Set Affinity of the game, uncheck CPU 0, leave CPU 1 checked."

how we can make it automatic when starting the game (such as modify to the registry or adding the parameter )to set the affinity?(i am using windows xp services pack 2)
when i set heapsize to 500 mb ,700 mb... i see the game only use about 200 mb .how we can make the game use the maximum of the memory if needed?
does this game support 2 rams? (now i have a 1 gb ram)i wonder if 2 rams (1gb and 2 gb) affect to the game as same as one 3gb ram when i set heapsize to 1.5 gb ,2 gb...?

Old
  (#8)
The Storm

Default Re: please modify these cvars to boost fps - 25-07-2009

The heapsize will not provide you performance, nor the task manager stuff. CS 1.6 is game based on an engine created at 1998, so it was designed, that it will not need lots of resources to run fine. In your case don't use the heapsize argument, CS will take the ram it needs( usually around 200mb ) because it just doesn't need more. About the cores. CS is single threaded application so even with this task manager hacks it will actually not use the two cores, it is not possible because the today operating systems can't share one thread on two or more cores and you can't do anything to change that. Don't be afraid of that btw, if CS is taking enough from core 1, other programs will run on core 2( the OS will handle that, so don't think about it ). To get more FPS in your case is to get some nice video card(CS is old but integrated videos just sucks). To get 100fps even the very old GeForce 5200 will do it, I recommended you 8800 GT because you may want to play some modern games that requre more resources, but if you just want to play CS any GeForce from series 5xxx will handle it fine.