.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

mp_schwalbe (BETA) Waypoints
Old
  (#1)
Valiant

Default mp_schwalbe (BETA) Waypoints - 05-03-2006

In response to discussion over my using Projekt Schwalbe as a sort of test bed for learning, I've decided to go ahead and post this up so you can all take a peek at my current work in progress.

Bear in mind the final objective for match completion is as of yet still being ironed out (hopefully). Also be aware that at the moment you'll have to hunt down and break several destructrable objects in the mines (the right hand path from the allied side, over the snowbanks) as well as some windows in the hangar, on the upper-left side, overlooking the catwalks. The Allies will still assault the first two major objectives successfully if you don't, but the Axis may get hung up and provide weak to no major resistance otherwise.

Having said all of that, here's the goods. Keep your fingers crossed lol.
Download link for the map itself:
http://returntocastlewolfenstein.fil...lbe_Me262;3427

Waypoints attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp_schwalbe.zip (7.2 KB, 306 views)

The way is made clear when viewed from above.

Re: mp_schwalbe (BETA) Waypoints
Old
  (#2)
Maleficus

Default Re: mp_schwalbe (BETA) Waypoints - 05-03-2006

When we get the upcoming Fritz ET release done, I'll get out a Fritz Wolf patch, that will include a fix for any issues you have on this map.

Nice work on the path, checking it out right now.

Cheers!

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#3)
Valiant

That certainly is great news.
Thanks for the heads up and taking the time to give my pet project a look-see. Feel perfectly free to pitch in your two cents, positive or negative as the case may be.

And at the risk of changing the subject - Best wishes to you and the crew on bringing FritzBot ET to life in full splendor, I'm sure its going to be one heck of a ride.

Old
  (#4)
Maleficus

Oh - Fritz ET will be. Its been a lot of hard work for everyone involved, but its just amazing what the bots can do now, and how far they've come.

Cheers!

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#5)
Valiant

Ok, at long last a match CAN be completed by the bots. I had to do some minor tweaking on the drop-site paths and nodes, but a basic connect-the-dots play is now possible. Some path/route refinements garnered from precious feedback are in the works, and there may be some tweaking done to the objective/goal completion order as well.

Top billing for this update goes to CrapShoot. The pivotal fixes to the map script, the steal objective and his advice have moved things along from verging on stagnant to well on their way to becoming something worthwhile. Really couldn't have done it without you, Thank you ever so much!

Hopefully this isn't too much rambling, with all of little progress notes you'd think I was doing something much bigger or complex heheh. I just like to let anyone who cares keep tabs on whats what.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp_schwalbe_update1.zip (7.1 KB, 300 views)

Old
  (#6)
Valiant

Default Re: mp_schwalbe (BETA) Waypoints - 13-03-2006

Please note: this is just my thinking aloud. I really don't want to distract anyone from important work here I just want to keep my progress, or lack thereof out in the open.

Well, I must confess to being somewhat flustered. I don't know if it has anything to do with the map layout or if I'm just not grasping some of the fundamental mechanics of its usage, but attempts on my part to place routes have seemingly failed, repeatedly.

Its not terribly complicated, but having never done it successfully prior to this I can't be entirely sure why it seems not to work. It seems as though the Bots are taking the shortest path to any given objective, regardless of the placement of the Alt_roam actions. In some cases to force them to take a varied path, they would have to go the opposite direction of their goal, then hook around in a wide U-Turn to reach the alternative path - instead, they seem to just go straight there, then head from the objective to the alt_roam or be done with it at having reached the goal.

I've been checking official maps and waypoints for examples but it doesn't seem to be helping. I place the route in the spawn area, make the radius large enough to catch all of the spots where you or bots can drop in, set the /route_action # to the appropriate goal, drop in the actions - set them by team to task 9, (even tried setting them always active), use /route_pathactions # action# action# etc to link the alt_roams to the routes, and they seem to just ignore them. I've placed the alt roams at the start of alternate paths, at the end of them, in the middle - they just don't seem to care.

In fact with the Axis engineers - they were more inventive about reaching the bridge without routes! They would always use the mines until the station doors were blown, then fight through the station (which I thought was pretty dumb) when they were opened. I was hoping to get them to use the mines exclusively or at least in tandem with the opened station doors, but they just used the station exclusively instead. I've rolled back my .nav file to a backup copy three times now, each time trying to get a fresh take on how to make it work to no avail.

I've also tried adding an engineer camp to the footbridge to provide defense against the axis planting dynamite there - the crazy thing is when I simply placed the camp and forgot to link the aim action, the engies used it without fail. When I linked the aim action and tried to alter the action group's and active setting to keep it in use, they started ignoring it completely. I tried setting the action group to -1 and using my aiscript to activate the camp and aim action while the bridge was intact, then disable them when the bridge is destroyed - but they continued ignoring it.

Maybe I'm nuts and maybe less is more - but it seems the more I try to force variety, the less I get. Currently I'm rolled back again, to a few tweaks after the update thats attached to the thread. I'm going to keep cracking at this but I'm going to focus on making that darn engie camp work properly then worry about the routes after.

Old
  (#7)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

did you set the route_team for the routes?

There may be a few things that need to be done to make that engineer work. Maybe post the navs and I'll take a look.

Old
  (#8)
Valiant

Hmmm thats probably the one thing I missed on my initial pass. I'm dead positive I did set it on the main allied route, but I'm also fairly positive I did not on the Axis route for the footbridge. Having rolled back the .nav out of frustration denies me the opportunity to see it first hand though.

I went ahead and re-established the routes I felt were important. I'm wondering if I can maybe add a return one from the safe to the allied boat (dingy just doesn't sound right, I'm sorry lol) or if that'd even be necessary.

I can't really tell if its impacting or not, because the Axis engineers behave exactly as before. They pour through the mines at the point where it is the only available path, then as soon as the station doors blow, they use the main bridge (head on, through the allied advance) instead.

At any rate, my current version is attached here for scrutiny. I know I've got to be missing something, or overlooking some variable somewhere, I just can't figure out what it is.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp_schwalbeBETA_update2.zip (7.4 KB, 316 views)

Old
  (#9)
SA_RTCW

Not trying to hi-jack your thread here, but I seem to be having the exact same problem with routes on mp_science. I followed the exact sam procedure as you mentioned, and from the waypoint guide, but the Axis engineer bots always take the shortest path to the dyno objective. I left the route team as 0 (which is supposed to be for both teams, right?). However, I may try changing it to Axis only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant
Please note: this is just my thinking aloud. I really don't want to distract anyone from important work here I just want to keep my progress, or lack thereof out in the open.

Well, I must confess to being somewhat flustered. I don't know if it has anything to do with the map layout or if I'm just not grasping some of the fundamental mechanics of its usage, but attempts on my part to place routes have seemingly failed, repeatedly.

Its not terribly complicated, but having never done it successfully prior to this I can't be entirely sure why it seems not to work. It seems as though the Bots are taking the shortest path to any given objective, regardless of the placement of the Alt_roam actions. In some cases to force them to take a varied path, they would have to go the opposite direction of their goal, then hook around in a wide U-Turn to reach the alternative path - instead, they seem to just go straight there, then head from the objective to the alt_roam or be done with it at having reached the goal.

I've been checking official maps and waypoints for examples but it doesn't seem to be helping. I place the route in the spawn area, make the radius large enough to catch all of the spots where you or bots can drop in, set the /route_action # to the appropriate goal, drop in the actions - set them by team to task 9, (even tried setting them always active), use /route_pathactions # action# action# etc to link the alt_roams to the routes, and they seem to just ignore them. I've placed the alt roams at the start of alternate paths, at the end of them, in the middle - they just don't seem to care.

In fact with the Axis engineers - they were more inventive about reaching the bridge without routes! They would always use the mines until the station doors were blown, then fight through the station (which I thought was pretty dumb) when they were opened. I was hoping to get them to use the mines exclusively or at least in tandem with the opened station doors, but they just used the station exclusively instead. I've rolled back my .nav file to a backup copy three times now, each time trying to get a fresh take on how to make it work to no avail.

I've also tried adding an engineer camp to the footbridge to provide defense against the axis planting dynamite there - the crazy thing is when I simply placed the camp and forgot to link the aim action, the engies used it without fail. When I linked the aim action and tried to alter the action group's and active setting to keep it in use, they started ignoring it completely. I tried setting the action group to -1 and using my aiscript to activate the camp and aim action while the bridge was intact, then disable them when the bridge is destroyed - but they continued ignoring it.

Maybe I'm nuts and maybe less is more - but it seems the more I try to force variety, the less I get. Currently I'm rolled back again, to a few tweaks after the update thats attached to the thread. I'm going to keep cracking at this but I'm going to focus on making that darn engie camp work properly then worry about the routes after.

Old
  (#10)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

route team does need to be set. route_team 0 seems be bugged.

also, make sure the alt_roams are reachable and active in the particular group you want them to be used in.