.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Re: The patched Third Release comments thread
Old
  (#21)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Default Re: The patched Third Release comments thread - 10-03-2005

Hey Mal, i had another weird encounter. I was on the Axis in the upper bunker maning the MG42 and someone kept taking pot shots at me (he'd fire once, then reload) and he kept doing this until i released the gun and looked and it was Ghost. He kept doing this so i gunned him down. Well he respawned and i then see hm jumping around tossing grenades at himself until he blew up.

He again respawned and he kept taking potshots at everyone, TK'ing everyone on our team. So i decided to spectate him. He was in the war room and again everytime one of our teamates moved he'd take potshots at them. And when he needed a medic, there was one crouching in the war room. He'd run up to him stare directly at the wall and again fire potshots into the cabinet.

He kept doing this, the whole round. But next round he was perfectly fine. Maybe it was some bad coffee? I don't know, did you set it up to where the bots sometimes get all crazy like this? He was the only one doing it at the time. I find kind of cool if you did set it up to where they do this, kind of brings the realism of pub TK'ers to the bot world.

Anyway, i thought i'd mention that.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.

Old
  (#22)
The Ghost
Weirdo

Default Re: The patched Third Release comments thread - 10-03-2005

sometimes i have a bad day and get a little crazy8D

Old
  (#23)
PrestonKh

Default Re: The patched Third Release comments thread - 11-03-2005

Ah don't worry Mal about the bot numbers...I just happen to be really used to playing in a large number of occupants in a server like 64. I really thank you for putting on the time into this not to mention people from the old Wolfbot site for suggestions into this. This mod would have not been possible without you and others that help out. I myself hopefully in the college aspect can learn more about AI so I can hopefully build off a better AI system in all future games as I get a kick out of bots mainly because:
1) they don't b*tch
2) Great practice
3) Amazingly almost human-like

WHAT I DO REQUEST THOUGH MAL IS DEPOT SOON!! j/k I am just wishing that was possible to be soon, but you have other things going on more important than this too.

Old
  (#24)
Maleficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Hey Mal, i had another weird encounter.
Hmm. Were you playing stopwatch? Because I don't understand how Ghost would have been on the axis team unless you were in stopwatch mode.

TBH - I haven't really tested Stopwatch mode at all. But, off the top of my head, I'm wondering about something: there is some info about the bots team/class/etc info that are saved off into the bots internal code and are referenced all over the place.

I'm wondering if that isn't the problem - in the bot's mind its still allies (since Ghost WAS spawned into the server as allies), so he SOMETIMES thinks its cool to shoot axis, and when the next round starts and he goes back to allies, there isn't any problems.

If thats the case, I'm going to have to look at this in the next version and rethink how I handle some of the bot's info internally. I'm sorry: stopwatch isn't a mode I play, so I never really looked at it or how it might affect the bot, but its something I can fix.

In the meantime, I'd just recommend playing normal OBJ mode. :-/

If thats not the case, then I don't know what to say - the whole reason for a bot like Fritz is much like PrestonKh said: they aren't lame, don't cheat/bitch/whine/hack/TK/etc. I'd never want Fritz doing those things.

I want to simulate INTELLIGENT human players, not lamers.

PrestonKh:

Good to hear you have an interest in AI.

I've studied AI on my own time for years. At first it was academic AI and its various applications, but in the last 5-6 years, its been game AI, which I find to be much more fun and rewarding.

If you really want to get started with AI, you don't have to wait for college - just experiment on your own with a game. Take a simple game like Quake2. A game that has some very basic AI in it already, that you have complete access to the code, and can easily find a TON of tutorials and examples on the 'Net to learn from. Quake2 had a LOAD of community bots, many of which became open source, and are great tools to learn from.

Thats what I did - I started out with Quake 1 actually, and wrote my first bot, learning how to intergrate it into the game, how to simulate a human, etc, way back in the day.

It will take you some time, probably months, maybe even years, before you have anything you can show off, but you'll have a LOT of fun in the process.

btw: don't worry - DEPOT will be coming. In fact, Depot will probably be the only map that I'll be taking a personal interest in its path file creation, and whoever paths for it, I'm sure I'll be bugging them with suggestions.

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 11-03-2005 at 10:34..

Old
  (#25)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
Hmm. Were you playing stopwatch? Because I don't understand how Ghost would have been on the axis team unless you were in stopwatch mode.

TBH - I haven't really tested Stopwatch mode at all. But, off the top of my head, I'm wondering about something: there is some info about the bots team/class/etc info that are saved off into the bots internal code and are referenced all over the place.

I'm wondering if that isn't the problem - in the bot's mind its still allies (since Ghost WAS spawned into the server as allies), so he SOMETIMES thinks its cool to shoot axis, and when the next round starts and he goes back to allies, there isn't any problems.

If thats the case, I'm going to have to look at this in the next version and rethink how I handle some of the bot's info internally. I'm sorry: stopwatch isn't a mode I play, so I never really looked at it or how it might affect the bot, but its something I can fix.

In the meantime, I'd just recommend playing normal OBJ mode. :-/

If thats not the case, then I don't know what to say - the whole reason for a bot like Fritz is much like PrestonKh said: they aren't lame, don't cheat/bitch/whine/hack/TK/etc. I'd never want Fritz doing those things.
Yeah, it was stopwatch mode, and yeah i setup my map rotate to swap teams every other round. In fact, i thought the very same thing you did (not in so many words of course). But the thing was the following round he was still on the Axis and performed just fine.

I'd say just strip out the code that handles which bot plays for each team. I mean so they play as a team no matter which side their on. The bot config could still be used to setup which team they play for initially, but it isn't written in stone if you catch my drift. I hope that wasn't confusing.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.