.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

Getting bots to follow scripts
Old
  (#1)
Tiger

Default Getting bots to follow scripts - 04-01-2007

I have another question. I have 3 nodes connected and have them assigned to group 1. They are set to Allied team so that Allied bots can use them. I have not done anything else yet, but when I add a bot it does not follow the path. I didn't expect it to, but I still don't understand how to make bots obey the paths, etc. How do I get them to co-operate with Group ID's, etc.? I am sifting through the waypointing guide created by Denny a second time since I read over everything too fast the first time.

Since this is the first time I am waypointing I am experimenting with a small map called Axis Cannon, mp_cannon, created by Mercury of WTE, which you can find on filefront.com. It's an RTCW map. It's a small map, but a lot of fun to play, so it's a good starting point for creating waypointing skills. Next I plan to do Red Oak Court and Savo Trenches. I have a list of maps I want to waypoint, divided into three categories. I have one category labeled primary, one secondary, and the last tertiary, each one corresponding to the priority I intend on setting for maps to be completed. So hopefully once I get the hang of waypointing I'll be able to contribute significantly to the Fritzbot community. In the meantime, I'll be working on mp_cannon to get it to work properly. Once I get the hang of it, I'll move on to other maps. I won't get into any heavy-duty maps like Natterbase or Axis Rail Checkpoint until I get better at it, of course. Also, I intend to modify some wapoints in Assault and Base so that bots use warehouse more and defend radar 02 more, if I can. Of course I would release this as a different version of the maps waypointed by Crapshoot and would give credit as needed to who originally waypointed the map, as well as including the appropriate file information that I copy-pasted in a reply post the other day regarding the correct labeling of waypointed maps, etc. Just figured I'd fill you guys in on what I'm planning to do. Take care-

Tiger(aka Silver Tiger/Aquamarine Tiger of WTE)

Also, be sure to check out WTE's servers, we have one on 1.0, and two on 1.41. We will be swapping one out for another provider since our 1.41 WTEb server is acting up. In the meantime, feel free to check out 1.41 WTE.

We just started server hosting in 1.41 so at the moment we're not too developed, although WTE itself has been around quite a while. In either case, when the servers are fully operational, we will have two 1.41 servers, one featuring a map rotation of the original maps from 1.0(assault, base, castle, etc.) and one featuring custom maps as well as custom map rotations, depending on the day of the week. For instance, Saturday might be Market Garden all day, whereas Monday could be eight different maps in the rotation. Anyway, all of this will be on the WTE website at freewebs.com/wte_home once the servers are fully functional. Take care.

Re: Getting bots to follow scripts
Old
  (#2)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Getting bots to follow scripts - 04-01-2007

The ET wiki topic on using routes sort of says it in the paragraph How a bot chooses a goal. A bot looks for actions and objectives defined in the waypoint by the Actions placed by the waypointer. When the bot spawns, or reaches a roam, or completes certain actions...
then the bot reviews the list of actions,
- reduces the list to those targeted to its class and team,
- removes from consideration those not activated yet (or no-longer active)
- then prioritizes the list, selecting the higher priority actions available
- looks to see if it is inside a route and either then plots the shortest path to one of that route's alt-roams or if no route is here then plots the shortest path to the action previously selected.

Note: if they can't see a goal (action) they will move to the first node they see, stop and complain in the console. If on the other hand they move to the first node, stop but don't complain then that may mean they have selected an action but can't find a path to it (e.g. the goal is behind an obstruction so no connection exists yet).

Feel free to review the Fritzbot ET Wiki for more stuff on waypointing, but be warned that not everything you read there as to commands exist for the RTCW version so Denny's tutorial should be your first guide.

.one Ringstellung to rule them all.

Re: Getting bots to follow scripts
Old
  (#3)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: Getting bots to follow scripts - 04-01-2007

That's good information TomTom, but I think the first thing that needs to be understood is the roles that nodes, goals, and routes play.

Nodes are placed to plot paths and connecting the nodes complete the paths. That's it, that is all they do. You can set flags on the nodes for specific navigational reasons, but they have nothing to do with making a bot move. The bots need goals to move, connected nodes just provide the path to get there.

Again, goals are what make the bots move. Goals come in two types; short term and long term. Long term goals are defined by the actions the waypointer adds (i.e. plant dynamite). Short term goals are the bots reaction to certain things during gameplay (like a teammate that needs reviving). After a bot recieves a goal, it will calculate the best way (shortest) along the node grid to get there.

Routes are used to tell bots not to take the shortest path to get to long term goals. The link that TomTom gave explains it very well. Note that in rtcw, only plant and steal actions are routeable.

Once you have goals and paths to get to the goals set up, it's just a matter of making sure they are available at the right times.

And here's a couple tips learned from my own mistakes:

1) Actions should not be placed on top of nodes. If you have a camp action right on a node, the camping bot will most likely block teammates coming along the path. The bots will go to the closenode defined in the action first, then be able to find the action if it's in close proximity.

2) ONLY use one way paths when a bot cannot go the other way. It can cause numerous problems with the bots pathfinding. Even if you are pathing out of a teams spawn, use two way paths. Short term goals (reviving is one) rely on the pathing too, so even though you may think a bot shouldn't go one way, let them decide. Remember that we are already telling them where to go by placing actions. I'm pretty sure everyone has made this mistake.