.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Yay!
Old
  (#1)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Yay! - 18-03-2005

As some may know, i am studying at the PABO. Simply put, its a 4 year during study to become a teacher at primary schools. I am in the 3rd year and will be having my diploma in 1.5 years or something (a bit of delay... a real student huh).

Anyway, this study, in Haarlem, forces you to get on 'the field' of practice from year 1. Now, i had ALL ages, ranging 4 years to 13. I had my best times with the older children... until...

Until this practice period at 'special schools'. You know, the schools where people with "Down Syndrome" and people with autism are. Or, where people are with an IQ below 60 (or 70, but thats a sort of another rule) (but above 35). Most studies only give you theory about this, but i am grateful i had this practice period. Coming wednesday i will be saying goodbye to the kids, and this is the first time i actually gonna hate it!

Besides that the children are all interesting 'subjects', ie , ever saw a kid with autism? I've seen over 20 children now, all autism, and all different. Its freaking insane. Every day is a different day, and every day you learn a lot.

Why this post? Because i think most people simply do not want to know about these 'children' or the so called 'bottom of our civilization/society'. And i think these children, should ALSO get their possibility to get to THEIR maximum capability. EVEN if that capability will be at max, to dress him/herself.

Let me say it like this: 7 weeks back, i never really thought about this. I thought about the 'normal educational sector', but in 7 weeks. I have learned that the 'normal sector' is a spoiled sector, which creates more problems they can solve (and does not even have to solve) and also... they reinvent the wheel. It is SO damn obvious that the 'normal' and 'non-normal' education 'sectors' are not working together, that they actually develop the same educational 'pedagogic vision' on their own. Its like you have 2 people reinventing a fucking wheel again!

Finally, i've been asked if i was interested in working there, doing my last year and such. It will be a paid job for 60% chance. (payed well imo, for a 'not finished study'- job). I think i'll do it...

How do you think about this whole subject? I never heard a thing about it...

Last but not least, funny thing: When you walk a day or 2 with these kids, all 'world problems' become so 'exegarated' and bloated... Its like we 'normal' people simply cannot live with what we have.. and believe me. When you walk out, take ur car and drive to ur work. You're doing a master piece of a job... which you probably do not realize... (Quick sum: it probably took u 18 years to learn it... )

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Re: Yay!
Old
  (#2)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

Default Re: Yay! - 18-03-2005

Well im having mixed feelings about this.
Im sure they are adorable and lovingly.
But at same time it;s freightning, so little capablitlies so little they can know.

Old
  (#3)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

Default Re: Yay! - 18-03-2005

my sister did work like children like that.
and my best friens sister is one of them.

i couldnt do it.. its not about them.. its more like i cant work people at all.. i can work with people as in working togheter.. but when it comes to serving or somehow working with them as subjects i simply cant..

Have been quoted [6] times

Old
  (#4)
Leagle
Failed student

Default Re: Yay! - 19-03-2005

I have entered into the scary world of the whole "sub-standard" element before. It sent a chill up my spine

My grandmother had alzheimers as well, visiting her in that home was terrified me.

RESISTANCE IS use-LESS!

Brother Boot Knife of Quiet Reflection

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
  1. The text that you have entered is too long (492645 characters). Please shorten it to 50000 characters long.

Old
  (#5)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Yay! - 19-03-2005

Stefan, you should read some books by a certain Glenn J. Doman, especially one called "What to Do About Your Brain-Injuried Child". People don't usually realize what these kids actually can do.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#6)
HangFire
Best served chilled

Default Re: Yay! - 21-03-2005

My brother has autism, and hes pretty much fine. He's 21, has a couple of tech certificates, and is currently working on a major in Comp Science at some university.

Just because someone has problems like that doesn't mean they're screwed for having a successful life.

Old
  (#7)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Yay! - 21-03-2005

exactly hangfire! And i'm afraid a lot of people dont think this way. Autism comes with a wide spectrum of variants, so its not easy to say how one with autism will do in society when grown-up.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me