.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Common Questions
Common Questions Are you seeking help ? Get it here !

hi , i have some question about podbot
Old
  (#1)
chelseafc0512

Default hi , i have some question about podbot - 04-12-2010

hi , i have some question
1. i don't know why running on one route,all podbots will turn to face the same direction all time.it seems :
when bot goes from waypoint (example) 1 to waypoint 2,
if we see it turn to face to east ,all bots and all time they will face to east too
does it because of waypointing ? if yes,do we encounter this when autowaypointing ? when manually wapointing ?
sorry for bad english :d
2 .is it needed to reedit the "camp start" and "camp end" if we use newer version of podbot? i'm using older waypoint (2004-2006), and i 've read that with newer version of podbot,the old camps 's direction will be change and need to reedit.
a .we will delete the old camp start and camp end , and recreat it?
3. "+ Added affecting bots by darkness (thanks to PMB and his RACC code) - same like above - if in the dark room the enemy is starting to fire at the bot, so he can see the fire from the enemy\\\'s gun - then the bot is fireing at that direction, too."
is there a cvar to disable affecting of the bot to darkness,so that they can see us even in the darkness ? i'm using light entity so that i can see them in the darkness,so i don't need this function .
4.the bot see enemy but they don't shoot ,may this problem be fixed?

Last edited by chelseafc0512; 04-12-2010 at 08:44..

Re: hi , i have some question about podbot
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: hi , i have some question about podbot - 04-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseafc0512 View Post
hi , i have some question
1. i don't know why running on one route,all podbots will turn to face the same direction all time.it seems :
when bot goes from waypoint (example) 1 to waypoint 2,
if we see it turn to face to east ,all bots and all time they will face to east too
does it because of waypointing ? if yes,do we encounter this when autowaypointing ? when manually wapointing ?
sorry for bad english :d
The bots don't face the same direction at once (in the same time). Sometimes - the bot leader goes somewhere and other bots they just follow him, so it may look for You like they look and turn in the same direction, but it has nothing to waypointing. That is random.

Quote:
2 .is it needed to reedit the "camp start" and "camp end" if we use newer version of podbot? i'm using older waypoint (2004-2006), and i 've read that with newer version of podbot,the old camps 's direction will be change and need to reedit.
a .we will delete the old camp start and camp end , and recreat it?
Yes - You need to re-edit all camp waypoints in this case. To easy find all camp waypoints I have added in waypointing code the function:
pb wp teleport camp
This function shoul telport You to the next (in WP numbering) camp waypoint. Then You just need to delete it and add again. Then You call from the console the same command "pb wp teleport camp" again.

Quote:
3. "+ Added affecting bots by darkness (thanks to PMB and his RACC code) - same like above - if in the dark room the enemy is starting to fire at the bot, so he can see the fire from the enemy\\\'s gun - then the bot is fireing at that direction, too."
is there a cvar to disable affecting of the bot to darkness,so that they can see us even in the darkness ? i'm using light entity so that i can see them in the darkness,so i don't need this function .
There is no cvar for that. You cannot switch off that function and I'm not going to add that cvar to disable bots darkness affectation.

Quote:
4.the bot see enemy but they don't shoot ,may this problem be fixed?
More details please. They don't shoot if they can see they may hurt an enemy i.e. Or they don't shoot from the sniper weapon if they move (they try to stop first, then shoot).

Old
  (#3)
chelseafc0512

Default Re: hi , i have some question about podbot - 06-12-2010

thank you very much ,kwo,
well i know it's very hard to make bots work fine, and i ask for better bots ,sorry for disturbing you
1. bots don't see us in dark,so they won't shoot until they see fire from our guns ?
2. bots don't shoot enemy if it can hurt teammate, so if we set mp_friendlyfire to 0 and pb_ffa 0 (The bots will also kill their teammates)
it can solve this problem ?
3. it seems bot chooses random direction to look up when going ,and sometimes they keep looking at the wall ( which enemy can't be at) ,it 's very dangerous
4. i shoot them many times but they don't know the direction of bullets and don't know who shoot them and they keep going , not shoot again
5.even i run beside them ,they don't hear and don't know enemy there
6.i don't know why sometimes they don't plan the bomb, this is because of waypointing / i have read waypointing tutorial but i don't know how to enable the bots to plant in that case and to defuse easily?
7. i have tried many waypoint i have downloaded but it seems that they doesnt good, could you please give me some waypoint you think they are good and the bots run fine?
i 'm a beginner of waypointing and i want to have some experience , especially in making waypointing in speific places such as narrow,small windows,small vents,ladder at small vents in de_nuke the bots get stuck frequently .... by looking at good waypoint
8. somepeople when editing waypoint has add connection from top ladder to bottom,it makes bot go down ladder slowly even get tuck, i prefer add 1 way out going connection from bottom ladder to the top ,and add jump connection from the top to other waypoint near bottom of ladder (but not a ladder waypoint) (i am using no fall damage plugin so that i don't worry about bots lose hp when fall) please tell me should we do it?
9.after editing and saving waypoint is there a way to using "pb debuggoal" without restarting game ?
such as reload waypoint file without restarting game so that we can test bot .if no ,could you please to add this function ?
10. when going ,sometimes the bots crouchs although they are at a waypoint (there is no crouch waypoint connect to it ),it takes many times and affects to the result ,especially if they are going to bombsite to defuse the bomb ( bomb blows before they go to the bombsite).
11. bots can't break the breakable entity by shooting ,if there is a breakable they will get stuck ( i see it when test "pb debuggoal" , but in game ,can it break the breakable glass by shooting? )
again ,sorry for asking too much because i 'm a newbie in using podbot
12. i don't know why bot keep running although i have used "pb debuggoal" ,after going to the target waypoint , he runs away ,how to keep he stand ,not run ?

Last edited by chelseafc0512; 06-12-2010 at 12:22..

Old
  (#4)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: hi , i have some question about podbot - 06-12-2010

Quote:
1. bots don't see us in dark,so they won't shoot until they see fire from our guns ?
It actually depand also on the light level. If there is really dark (so the human cannot see anything neither) they will act like described - they will shot at You wne You start shooting them.

Quote:
2. bots don't shoot enemy if it can hurt teammate, so if we set mp_friendlyfire to 0 and pb_ffa 0 (The bots will also kill their teammates)
it can solve this problem ?
mp_friendlyfire 0 - they don't wait while shooting if the friend is in their crosshair. pb_ffa 0 - they treat the other team only as enemies. If pb_ffa is 1 they will shoot everybody around (including friends).

Quote:
3. it seems bot chooses random direction to look up when going ,and sometimes they keep looking at the wall ( which enemy can't be at) ,it 's very dangerous
4. i shoot them many times but they don't know the direction of bullets and don't know who shoot them and they keep going , not shoot again
5.even i run beside them ,they don't hear and don't know enemy there
6.i don't know why sometimes they don't plan the bomb, this is because of waypointing / i have read waypointing tutorial but i don't know how to enable the bots to plant in that case and to defuse easily?
Those items sound like bug report. What is exactly the version You are using? If You aren't sure, type in the console:
meta list

Quote:
7. i have tried many waypoint i have downloaded but it seems that they doesnt good, could you please give me some waypoint you think they are good and the bots run fine?
i 'm a beginner of waypointing and i want to have some experience , especially in making waypointing in speific places such as narrow,small windows,small vents,ladder at small vents in de_nuke the bots get stuck frequently .... by looking at good waypoint
Try de_dust, de_dust2, cs_assault from the fullpack. Those for standard maps have been done by the best waypointers.

Quote:
8. somepeople when editing waypoint has add connection from top ladder to bottom,it makes bot go down ladder slowly even get tuck, i prefer add 1 way out going connection from bottom ladder to the top ,and add jump connection from the top to other waypoint near bottom of ladder (but not a ladder waypoint) (i am using no fall damage plugin so that i don't worry about bots lose hp when fall) please tell me should we do it?
If the bot gets stuck by him-self (with nobody else) while going up/down on the ladder, then there is some bug. It shoudn't happen the bot gets stuck with no obstacle (I mean if there is nothing and nobody the bot may stuck, but it does stuck - then there is a bug).

Quote:
9.after editing and saving waypoint is there a way to using "pb debuggoal" without restarting game ?
Did You try pb debuggoal -1 (minus one)? That should stop them to move to the debugged waypoint.

Quote:
10. when going ,sometimes the bots crouchs although they are at a waypoint (there is no crouch waypoint connect to it ),it takes many times and affects to the result ,especially if they are going to bombsite to defuse the bomb ( bomb blows before they go to the bombsite).
They duck if they are trying to be more carefully. If they are near the bomb-site they do this often. Nobody was complaining it's wrong. They do like this since the beginning (as far I remember).

Quote:
11. bots can't break the breakable entity by shooting ,if there is a breakable they will get stuck ( i see it when test "pb debuggoal" , but in game ,can it break the breakable glass by shooting? )
I remember I was fixing the problem with debuggoal and breakables. Isn't that still working correctly? I think You are using some older version of pb mm.

Quote:
12. i don't know why bot keep running although i have used "pb debuggoal" ,after going to the target waypoint , he runs away ,how to keep he stand ,not run ?
This way he makes a room for other bots to let them to come to the debgged waypoint. Otherwise the rest of bots never would come there, because that waypoint would be busy all the time.

Old
  (#5)
chelseafc0512

Default Re: hi , i have some question about podbot - 07-12-2010

thank you kwo i will refer it when go home,now i have some new problems
1. is there away to save waypoint with smaller size without losing any data?
in cs:cz when save navigation file (nav),the experience people always save first after editing ,restart to reload nav file ,then switch to windows ,go to folder and delete .nav file ,then switch back to the game and save nav file,the navsize will be reduce because of all unused data has been left.it is very useful
2. with podbot and yapbbot waypoint, can we do it with no errors ?
which is the different beetween podbot ,e[podbot] and yapb bot waypoint file ? i only see yapb bot waypoint to podbot waypoint converter,
if we use the waypoint (which i have edited with yapb bot ) - for podbot and e[podbot],is there any errors and cause bots get stuck ?
3.do you know which will affect to the bot-cpu usage ? the amount of waypoints,the length of the connect path ? the amount of connections ?and how to know the cpu usage of the bots ?
sorry many questions

Last edited by chelseafc0512; 07-12-2010 at 20:14..

Old
  (#6)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: hi , i have some question about podbot - 07-12-2010

1. The pwf file (with saved data about waypoint positions and connections) is usually less than 200 KB, so I don't think it can generate any problem for the server, the space on HDD etc.
2. From that what I remember the difference between yapb/epodbot and podbot mm waypoint format is the interpretation of camp waypoint data. So if You are using wrong file type (not right for Your bot) bots will look at strange directions at cam waypoints. I don't know if this is the only difference (You may need to ask at yapb and epodbot forums).
3. Amount of waypoints and amount of connections are affecting the CPU usage. The length of the path doesn't change anything. If You have more empty spaces - the density of waypoints should be lower - no need to put so many waypoints in open areas. But make sure if You need all connections between waypoints - usually there is a lot of unnecessary connections while waypointing the map. There is a code which is trying to prevent this automatically, but You still need to look and watch if this what the waypoint editor connects for You, You really need,

Old
  (#7)
chelseafc0512

Default Re: hi , i have some question about podbot - 08-12-2010

thanks again,kwo
1. i means if the useless data in the pwf file can affect the game performance and if we can leave it by a way (such as saving as i said above)
3. do you mean pb wp clean all i use it usually ,thank you very much

Old
  (#8)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

1. No. The cod doesn't know the data is useless - Yu need to delete such waypoints and connections Your-self.
2. Yes and no - during placing the new waypoint there is a working code to prevent automatically add useless connections, but sometimes it still fails, so You need later to use pb wp clean all.

Old
  (#9)
chelseafc0512

thank you ,kwo ,it 's hard to find a person that can help me in yapb section ,so i ask for your help ,sorry
i read the thread http://forums.bots-united.com/archiv...hp/t-7477.html
and found that
Quote:
Originally Posted by forOne View Post
thanks, i found the commands but this information was not in the readme file from the version 2.55, at least i have not found it. but the information was in the readme file of the YaPB (Legacy)-Version (old version of yapb)
i have downloaded YaPB (Legacy)-Version (old version of yapb) at http://filebase.bots-united.com/inde...ct=view&id=198 but the font of the text file corrupt so i can't read it, if you have please send me the readme file that contain full of yapb bot commands . it helps me very much
here is the file i can't read

Old
  (#10)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

I'm not sure about which readme.txt from YapB You are talking about, anyway I have found on my PC only this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapb readme.txt

* YaPB - Yet Another POD-Bot *
* for Counter-Strike *
* http://yapb.mapzap.org *
* Original code by: Count Floyd *
* Modified by Wei Mingzhi *
* <whistler_wmz@users.sf.net> *

[ Parts of this file are taken from the original POD-Bot 2.5 readme ]

This program is based on Count Floyd's POD-Bot 2.6 source code (http://podbot.nuclearbox.com). Don't forget about this, because most of the work was done by him.

Some of waypoint files are made by CoCoNUT (http://coconut.de.tc) and MarD (http://www.freewebs.com/mard_lltd) so credit goes to them.

Installation:
-------------

Installation is very simple. Just unzip the downloaded zip file to your main HL/CS directory:

C:\Sierra\Half-Life (MOD version)
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike (Counter-Strike Retail)
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<account name>\Counter-Strike (Steam Counter-Strike 1.6)
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<account name>\dedicated server (Steam Dedicated Server)

If you are using CS 1.6, you also need to copy all the waypoint files in cstrike\addons\yapb\wptcs16 to cstrike\addons\yapb\wptdefault.

This bot should also work on Steam which have CS 1.3 installed, just copy all the files in cstrike folder to your CS 1.3 folder; but that's not tested.

Note: The YaPB bot DLL is self-adaptable and can be used as both normal bot DLL and metamod plugin. If you have metamod installed, it's recommended to use this bot as a metamod plugin instead of a normal bot DLL.

Requirement:
------------

The Bot currently only works in Counter-Strike 1.1 - 1.6. If you haven't updated your CS version to 1.1 (or higher) you will HAVE to do so before using it.

NOTE: Although it seems to work with CS 1.0, it does NOT work with CS 1.0. You'll experience weird things if you use it with CS 1.0. So please update your version of CS to 1.1 or use e.g. the original POD-Bot 2.5 instead.

How to start a Game with Bots:
------------------------------

Create a Game with a map that has waypoints for POD-Bot (take a look into the "cstrike\addons\yapb\wptdefault" folder - all files with the extension ".pwf" should be valid waypoint files. You can manually add bots using the console. To use the console you have to turn it on. Here's my shortcut properties for Counter-Strike:

D:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -game cstrike

This will activate Counter-Strike automatically and turn on the in-game console. If a map has loaded, press the key below "Esc" and it will scroll down. Just type "yapb add" and a new bot will be connected...

There are comments in the podbot.cfg file to show you how to change parameters. If the Bots are stuck or you just want to start a new round type in "yapb killbots" which will force all bots to be dead instantly. If you're sick of playing with Bots type "yapb removebots" which will kick all Bots from the Server.

To manually change maps, type "map mapname" to load a new map. So for example to load "DE_DUST" you type "map DE_DUST". Existing Bots will join the Game if the map is loaded.

A helpful User Menu is available for performing the most used actions. It's binded by default (you can change it in podbot.cfg) to the "=" key. If you're pressing the "=" key a Menu with the following options should appear on your Screen:

1. Quick Add Bot

This does what it says. It quickly adds a Bot giving him a random name, team, skill and model. Skill will be chosen randomly between your yapb_minskill/yapb_maxskill values.

2. Add specific Bot

Allows you specify all things for adding Bots.

3. Kill all Bots

Kills all Bots in all Teams. Use this to end Rounds faster, if you don't like watching the Bots play.

4. Kill all Players

Same as above, but also kills human players.

5. Fill Server with Bots

Fills all free Server Entries with Bots. After selecting this option you can specify the team or to auto-assign them. If you select a team the server variables "mp_autoteambalance" and "mp_limitteams" will be set to 0 and all Bots will only join 1 Team. You can use this to play alone against all Bots.

6. Kick Random Bot

Kicks the first Bot in the List.

7. Remove all Bots

Kicks all Bots of the Server.

8. Select Weapon Mode

Opens another Sub-Menu where you can select the Weapons Bots will buy (and use in combat). Selecting Knife Mode will also turn on Jason-Mode. Selecting Standard Weapons will turn it off again.

Step by Step Installation (if you still don't have a clue!):
------------------------------------------------------------

1) Make sure Half-Life is installed and Counter-Strike is working well...
2) To be able to activate the Console in the Game you need to modify your Shortcut properties. Open the shortcut properties and add the following parameters: -game cstrike -console
My own looks like this:
"D:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe -game cstrike -console"
3) Unzip the bot into the Half-Life Folder. NOTICE: Half-Life Folder NOT cstrike Folder !
4) Start Half-Life using the Shortcut you modified in Step 2
5) Click on "Play CS"
6) Click on "LAN-Game"
7) Now you need to select a map for which you already got waypoint files. All ".pwf" Files in wptdefault folder are valid waypoint files. We take for example de_dust. Click on "de_dust" in the selection panel on the right side. Then click on "Create Game".
Click on "OK" if you don't want to modify settings, such as roundtime etc.
9) Voila! Cs is loading and soon the game should appear right before your eyes.
10) If you want to add bots yourself, open the Console. This is done by using the "~" key. On my keyboard it's the key located under the "Esc" key. Type "yapb add" and if your Server isn't already full, a new bot will join. You can also use the pretty User Menu by pressing the "=" Key.
11) Have Fun playing for hours without any Internet Costs !

Running YaPB on Win32 Dedicated servers:
----------------------------------------

Install YaPB as described above for Win32 dedicated servers and start the game the way you normally would.

When running a dedicated server most of the YaPB commands that are normally available from the client console screen are still available.

When using the dedicated server, bot will also be automatically spawned using the podbot.cfg file. You can also use the yapb_minbots/yapb_maxbots settings or the addbot command explained in that file.

Playing with the Bots:
----------------------

The Bots will automatically know the goals of the map. CTs might go for hostages, Terrorists may want to plant the bomb. VIP Bots will try to reach the Rescue Points. The goal selection is done dynamically and will be affected by several factors like Personality, Health, Team-mates near & Items the Bot is carrying. The Bots will also try to support team-mates and take cover when they think it's needed.

Ordering Bots through Radio Commands:
-------------------------------------

You can use some of the Radio Commands to get more support from your Bots. The first is "Follow Me" which commands Bots in the near to follow you. You can specify the maximum of following Bots in the podbot.cfg File (defaults to 3).

If a Bot is following you, you can use "Hold this Position" to make a pause at that Place and look around for enemies. You can use "Go,go,go!" to stop him from following you again. Note that they won't follow you in 3 cases:

- They don't want to ! The Bots have their own will and they issue a "Negative" if they don't want to follow you.
- They don't see you.
- They see an enemy and engage the target.

A Terrorist Bot carrying the C4 or picking it up, will also issue a "Follow Me" sometimes to have some assistance with him. Note that they have problems following on ladders at the moment because the movement is unwaypointed.

They also do some other Radio Commands like "Need Backup", "Enemy down", "Enemy spotted", "I'm in Position" (to tell you he's camping) but not very often, otherwise it would surely get on your nerves...

Summary of Bot Reactions to Radio Commands:
-------------------------------------------

Follow me - Forces Bots in the near to follow you

Hold this Position - Makes a Bot who's following you, stay awhile at that position

Taking Fire, need assistance - Makes all living Bots (not engaged in a Fight) run to your position to assist you.

Need Backup - Basically the same as above, but limited to distance and also the Bots use it sometimes to get some support.

Storm the Front! - Mighty command! Forces all Bots in the near to rush in the direction you're pointing to when using that command. Basically their level of agression is increased so a pathetic frightened Bot could also turn around and flee.

Get in position... - Bots in the near will try to take a covered position and stay there until they either encounter an enemy, you order them to leave, or they waited too long.

Go,go,go - If a Bot follows you, this commands stops him from following. If there are other Bots in the near, they will stop camping and going to roam the map again (normally used in combination with "Get in position...")

Team, Fall Back! - Opposite of "Storm the Front". Increases Fear and decreases agression of Bots in the near so that they are more likely to fall back and stay covered for a short period.

Bot Skill differences:
----------------------

First, Bots with low skills will pause/camp longer and more often. Bots with low skills have a bigger surprise time and they shoot slower. Bots with low skill are lucky if they hit something. Then there are minor behaviour differences. For example Bots with a skill above 80 use the knife more often if you're near them. If you want to get headshots all the time (and really fast) add some Bots with a skill of 100.

You can easily change a lot of skill parameters by editing the file 'botskill.cfg' with any text-editor. Also take a look into 'podbot.cfg' to adjust some more things to your liking...

Bot Personalities:
------------------

There are 3 different Personalities in POD now, if you have detailnames turned on they can are shown through the Prefixes like this:
[P*D] - Agressive
[POD] - Normal
[P0D] - Defensive

Right now the Personality is randomly chosen if a new Bot gets created. I want to extend a lot of stuff around Personalities so there's no sense in a specific selection and it can't be done.

Summary of Console Commands:
----------------------------

IMPORTANT: I have changed all the console commands to make them much more unique (so that you can use it with other bots without problems, especially other POD's like POD-Bot 2.5, POXBot, E[POD]bot, IvPBot or POD2.6mm). So make sure you have read this before complaining about "Unknown command: addbot"

All commands in square [] brackets are optional and don't need to be specified. Most of these commands will also work in podbot.cfg. You'll also get a handy User Menu by pressing the "=" key.

yapb about

Displays the version information of this bot and the author of the waypoints.

yapb add [skill] [personality] [team] [name] [model]

Adds a new Bot with skill (0-100), personality (0 = Normal, 1 = Aggressive, 2 = Defensive, Others = Random) and model (1-4 or use 5 to auto-assign) to team (0-1 or use 5 to auto-assign) with the specified name. If you don't use the name argument it will be filled randomly from "addons\yapb\botnames.txt". You can edit this file to use other names !

yapb fill

Fill the server with bots.

yapb killbots

Does what it says.

yapb removebots

Kicks all Bots off the Server. Note that this also changes the yapb_quota to 0.

yapb_minskill

Sets the minimum Botskill to use when adding Bots. Standard for this is 0, so a new Bot can have a Skill ranging from 0-100. You can set this in "bot.cfg" or manually to avoid specifying a skill everytime you add a Bot.

yapb_maxskill

Same as above except specifies the maximum skill when adding bots.

yapb_botchat 1|0

Turns chatting Bots on or off

yapb_jasonmode 1|0

Turns on/off "JasonMode". In this Mode, Bots are only allowed to use a Knife and they won't buy any weapons at all. Use this for example in cs_estate or cs_office to have a scary blood-feast ! This is a Fun Mode and not to be taken serious ! Kids, don't try this at home

yapb_wptfolder

Specifies the Folder for loading waypoints. No special chars like Spaces or quotation marks are allowed. Also note that the Folder must be inside the addons\yapb Directory...

yapb botsvotemap x

Orders all dead Bots to vote for Map x, where x is a valid number of a map in your mapcycle.

There are some other commands which are only used in "addons\yapb\podbot.cfg". Please have a look there, too !

There are a lot of other console commands only used for waypointing. These are explained in a separate File called "WaypointsHowToDo.txt"

Thanks (in no specific order):
------------------------------
botman (http://www.planethalflife.com/botman)
Count Floyd (http://podbot.nuclearbox.com)
Terran
CoCoNUT (http://coconut.de.tc)
Pierre-Marie Baty (http://racc.bots-united.com)
Antony (http://antonyxia.cnnb.net)
sPlOrYgOn (http://www.mapzap.org)
YOU!
...and everyone else I missed in this list

HAVE FUN PLAYING !