.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

My first attempt
Old
  (#1)
Valiant

Default My first attempt - 01-03-2006

Alright, first off let me just say a huge thanks to Denny for the tutorials on waypointing - Maleficus and Crapshoot too, for their hand in its construction. It certainly does get the point acrossed, and I was cruising right along building my first waypoint ( to what I consider near completion of a decent trial run ) in mere hours.

So getting to the point. I'm currently fiddling with waypointing Projekt Schwalbe (Available here: http://returntocastlewolfenstein.fil...lbe_Me262;3427) and so far I have the bots, on a limited trial basis, completing the majority of the map objectives with flying colors. However I have encountered three issues.

A) Engineers lob the dynamite rather forcefully at the objectives, causing some bouncing that ends up in about a 50% chance the explosion won't actually break the doors down, as I understand it a suggested fix is already on the way - I'll probably just nudge my action's back a couple of feet to compensate for now.

EDIT:
B) There are barriers which require a quick grenade to break, as I understand it these are auto-removed in all of the official waypoints. The relevant Func_explosive #'s for this map are: 73, 75, 121, 122, 144, 776, 777, & finally 778. (The last three are in a ventilation system I've yet to waypoint but, might as well get 'em out while the gettin's good.)
The only thing I'm not clear on is, do I need to send anything over, or are the numbers enough?

C) The final objective necessary to complete the map requires that the Allies open a safe, which by the looks of it functions as a normal door, just a sort of tiny one, and then grab the documents inside. I've managed to haul the documents out of the little niche', get killed and return to get the entity#, so the action has the proper Entnum for the documents and is as close to the niche as I can get it, (Hopefully) with a big enough radius to catch the documents, but the bots can't seem to negotiatet the mini-door to get them. I really don't know if this will require waiting for button-activation support or if its a real door, and there's some way to trick the bots into opening it.

So really what I'm driving at here is, I'm wondering if this might be best to hang onto for the next release or if there's some way I can cut through the trouble currently. Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by Valiant; 01-03-2006 at 09:18..

Re: My first attempt
Old
  (#2)
Valiant

Default Re: My first attempt - 01-03-2006

So I did a little homework, now that I understand the basic command structure. To my embarassment I've discovered that the buttons in the level have a matching entity tag with the document's safe door.

In other words. I expected due to the way it works and sounds (this is what happens when you assume things! ) to see this:
Classname: Func_Door_Rotating Entnum: 579 Dist: 3405

But what's really there is this:
Classname: Func_Invisible_User Entnum: 579 Dist: 3288

The distance only changed because I moved to verify I was aiming at the right entity. But comparing to the elevator switch directly behind it and to the left:

Classname: Func_Invisible_User Entnum: 598 Dist: 3384

So the bottom line here is, I'm pretty sure this means my boat is scuttled until button support is added. This really is just my own fault for not knowing I could just check the entity type before I started waypointing and for not verifying it before coming here to ask for help. Then again it was really late and after something on the order of 12 hours solid chasing my tail trying to cover every little thing I could think of, its easy to mess up a bit.

Old
  (#3)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Welcome to the forums Valiant.

I looked at the map. The docs do look like they may be in a tough spot for the bots to grab at the moment. I modified the map script a bit so that the safe door would remain open at all times. It's here:

http://members.cox.net/knickel/mp_schwalbe.script

In your fritzbot folder, create a new folder called maps ~/Fritzbot/maps and place it there.

Maybe that will help a bit. At least we will know if it's the door thats causing the issue or if the position of the docs is bad for them.

For the dynamite actions, a radius of 30 to 35 is usually best. By moving the closest node back a bit you should be able to get a consistent plant for most spots. Sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking and testing.

Old
  (#4)
Valiant

First off, Thanks! for the welcome and the script assistance.

I've gotten just about everything sorted out regarding the engineers. While tweaking the 50% functional destruct objectives LOL I somehow made them undesireable to the engies for about an hour, and had all kinds of trouble with them wandering off into la-la-land. But I corrected that, I found I needed to make the path between the nearest node and the plant action a little more linear, so that he'd be throwing the Dynamite more squarely at the door. A few distance adjustments and action_closenode fixes later its all ship-shape and working great now.

As for that script Crapshoot, slight issue there. During warmup the safe door is wide open and I can verify that it works, but once the match starts it slams shut. EDIT: With the Warmup properly disabled, the door remains open full-time as planned. But the bots still do not grab the objective, the following is my suspicion as to why that is.

I've also observed that the dropped documents have a different entnum each time I check them - I'm guessing this means the entnum for the stolen objective is generated by WolfMP each time its grabbed. Since thats the entnum I've been going off of, odds are its incorrect since the stationary entity number is most likely something different and static. Also, I can't seem to target the docs with /viewent through the func_invisible_user entity that the door consists of. So at this point I'm suddenly not so certain as to how I'm going to get the proper entnum on my steal objective action.

Last edited by Valiant; 01-03-2006 at 21:07..

Old
  (#5)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

hmm. i'll see where I went wrong with the script.

Try ent 577 for the docs. I used /noclip to get it.

Old
  (#6)
the bindlestiff

Let me add my welcome to the addictive world of waypointing. I got hooked a few months ago!

Have you tried sneaking up on the docs to get their entity number by ghosting through the walls using the /noclip console toggle?

Old
  (#7)
Valiant

Hiya Bindle, and thanks for the welcome.

Onto the play by play. I really am embarassed I didnt think of /noclip I mean.. duh.. you have to /devmap [mapname] to get started, that should've been on top of my list there. lol but thanks you guys for that friendly nudge and reminder. You rock.

Ok, I applied entnum 577 to the action task 64 to grab the documents and the bots now see the entity and want it bad! Finally they actually notice its there instead of running off confused, which was just a result of a bad entnum entry. The downside is the bots try to climb up into the niche to get the docs and can't do it. Other than that, everthing else is golden.

Frankly I'm just stoked they actually know the docs are there now! So, its progress and I'm happy about that. Once I can figure a way to make them "reach" into the niche rather than travel there - something else I understand is in the works code-wise - I'll just have to tweak some minor quirks out of the paths they use and it should be good to go.

Old
  (#8)
Valiant

Default Re: My first attempt - 03-03-2006

My work on mp_schwalbe is nearly done, at least as far as a first-release candidate is concerned. My shortlist of the remaining adjustments are as follows:

-Decide whether waypointing the ventilation system is worthwhile or not and implement if necessary. I already have the bots patrol/camp actions designed to fend off intruders from that area anyway. So, at the minimum sneaky players won't get a free ride.

-Refinement (if possible) of the mines entry path from the allied side. The bots seem to do some odd ducking/jumping in places that don't seem necessary, which I assume is a result of node placement and radius at those locations.

-Possible adjustments to camp-linked aim actions in and on the Axis hangar. I'm not too sure about the valid distances that can be used and some of them may have to be moved to compensate.

Still no luck getting the documents picked up by the bots, I think their location is just inherently bad for them at the moment. At this point I'm just curious if I should bother posting up what I have done for now, or if I should wait on it until its fully fucntional (with the supported barrier removal and a workaround for the final document objective).

The way is made clear when viewed from above.

Old
  (#9)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: My first attempt - 03-03-2006

When we first started waypointing, we sent beta versions of the navs to other team members. It helped alot to get feedback / bug reports from others before releasing them. Maybe we should offer this to first time waypointers like yourself and SA.

I'm not sure how well the filebase handles versioning though (other than just a number). Email might be a better solution for beta navs. I'll send my email address in a pm.

Old
  (#10)
Valiant

Default Re: My first attempt - 04-03-2006

Naturally I'm a little biased because it theoretically benefits me in the longrun, but I think thats a great idea - provided it isn't a hassle of course.

The existing level of assistance is more than adequate in my mind, though you can never have too much support.

The way is made clear when viewed from above.