.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

Another ladder problem
Old
  (#1)
the bindlestiff

Default Another ladder problem - 31-01-2006

I'm trying to perfect a bottom-of-the-ladder situation. Most of the time, the bots go up the ladder with no problem. But occasionally one will fail to connect, will spin around a few times, fail again, run back to the previous node, try again, usually fail, then run off to another path. This is OK unless he's carrying the "steal" objective, because he usually gets killed going the wrong way.

An even worse situation occurs when there is a line of bots heading for the ladder such as may happen when a group has spawned together. The first two or three go up the ladder OK, then a clumsy one arrives, can't attach to the ladder and goes though his routine. This completely snarls up the procession of the following bots and they get into a jumping, jostling match that results in no one getting up the ladder. Eventually they all run away.

Even if there isn't a delay at the front of the ladder, the bots further back in the line make giant leaps over the heads of their teammates and crash into the one in front that is just starting up the ladder. Again, instant mayhem.

I have tried all of the methods used in the other maps, such as placing the node a little way up the ladder, a long way up the ladder, at the bottom of the ladder, and at the bottom set back a little way. I've tried putting a "line-up" node ahead of the ladder node and tried making the bots walk. I've played with the node radius. I've adjusted the approach so the bots will hit the ladder straight on.

If the bots are separated far enough apart, it works OK, but if they come in a group the result is that few of them make it up the ladder.

I'm sure you other waypointers have encountered this situation before. I'd appreciate some tips about solving this one. The map is acceptable as it is but I'd like to find out how to make it better.

Re: Another ladder problem
Old
  (#2)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: Another ladder problem - 31-01-2006

sit them down before the game starts and let them know that they need to be patient before going up the ladder, stay focused, no line cutting, etc.

and if that doesn't work, email me the nav and i'll have a look.

Old
  (#3)
Maleficus

Default Re: Another ladder problem - 31-01-2006

LOL - they are like little children sometimes!

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#4)
the bindlestiff

Default Re: Another ladder problem - 01-02-2006

Well, Crapshoot has done it again. He's a genuine ladder "artiste!" He showed me some innovative ways to path ladders that I would have never thought of -- way out of the box. Using his example, I was able to fine-tune some of the other ladders in the map. I'm happy to say that they now meet my standards of perfection. Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement. I enjoy the challenge of waypointing, but sometimes the challenge is beyond my experience.

The "Guns of Damorone" is ready for release as soon as the next Fritrzbot patch is released (which will include removal of a pesky barrier).

Old
  (#5)
renartthefox
thefox

Big Grin Re: Another ladder problem - 01-02-2006

It is certainly a fun map to play. Rather bloody if you get caught in the valley approaching the hilltop, or when you headed to the final and have to pass the nazi spawn point.

enjoy .. the bindle definetly has a nack for fun maps.

Der bindle ist ein wütender Wahnsinniger!

-=(thef0x)=-

Old
  (#6)
Maleficus

Default Re: Another ladder problem - 01-02-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bindlestiff
The "Guns of Damorone" is ready for release as soon as the next Fritrzbot patch is released (which will include removal of a pesky barrier).
Kewl - I'll try to get to that patch ASAP. I know its been quiet on the forums, but theres a flurry of activity going on behind the scenes, and I've been coding like mad for the ET demo, but I haven't forgotten and will get to it as soon as the demo is done.

Dum Spiro Spero