.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Forge of Digital Worlds > Waypointing > POD-Bot mm Waypoint Format
POD-Bot mm Waypoint Format Waypoints for POD-Bot mm

Re: New Waypointer
Old
  (#41)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: New Waypointer - 11-06-2004

Aww, now here comes a WP for a map I did waypoint already. I have attached a ZIP (ignore the file name ) that contains some screenies w/ comments (as usual) plus my WP for that map, so you can have a look at it and see what's different. I even renamed the WP to prevent you from accidentally overwriting your own.

Well, to cut a long story short: This is good stuff in total. For my taste, it is sufficiently well done to keep me from just deleting it and replacing it with some of my own stuff - if I didn't have this map already waypointed, that is. If I hadn't had a WP for this map before, I guess I'd take yours as a basis and tweak some things - some that need to be tweaked for better functionality, some for mere reasons of style and personal taste.
Now there weren't that many difficult spots in the map, but it cost a lot of work. I wrote most of the suggestions / criticism I have into the screenies. My general impression is that you
a) don't hesitate to do all the work it takes instead of just leaving out things that you are plainly too lazy to waypoint,
b) have a pretty good eye for the possibilities a map offers, waypointing neat spots like the one on top of the roof that covers the well at one of the bomb spots
c) make waypoints that are 90% technically clean and well placed.

There are actually just some minor details where you still need to improve a bit:
a) You don't use apmd settings to avoid undesired connections, especially when waypointing jumps.
b) As a consequence of a), you sometimes have connections up to a spot that ought to be reached with a jump connection, or through a fence.
c) You could be even more careful with connections that cut corners too closely. It's nothing that affects basic functionality, but it doesn't look nice in game.
d) You tend to place some unnecessary important WPs right next to map goals.

Oh, and a suggestion: Your camp WPs are fine, but you can try and make some of them team-specific.
On a DE-map, bomb zone camping makes much more sense for the CT team, as they try to defend the area. Once a bomb is planted, T bots will guard it anyway, regardless of camp WPs.
On a CS-map, why would a CT camp near the rescue zone? He ought to get moving and look for the hossies! However, a T could very well camp there to surprise a CT - so why not make a team-specific camp WP there?
At choke points, i.e. where the first confrontation tends to take place, you can try adding some specific camp WPs for each team, giving them the possibility to get into nice positions and cover their team as it advances...
Just some ideas, nothing of this has to be in a map. But it can be a nice feature, I think. I didn't use it first, either. But now, i like it a lot.

Oh, and listen... if you're planning to waypoint more maps for PB 2.6mm, we ought to get organized! It's less useful for ppl to have 2 good waypoints for one and the same map (and none for another kick-ass map) than having 2 good waypoints for 2 good maps! If you'd like to make more WPs, just tell me and I'll open a new thread where we can coordinate our plans and efforts, ok? Maybe we could even work at WP packs where both of us contribute some WP files or something, if you like...
Attached Files
File Type: zip de_alps_nag-a-thon.zip (510.7 KB, 323 views)

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#42)
biohazerd87
Moderator by day Waypointer by night

most of my problems arise when I am do finishing touches.

1. This bidirectional waypoint wasn't originaly there, when I added the jump waypoint for some reason it adds that.

If you add a jump waypoint onto an exsisting waypoint it acts like it is a new waypoint so it adds all the pathwaypoints back. Which is really annoying.

NOTE: about 2/3 of the way thru I was adding a jump waypoint which would be wpmenu 1 then 9 but i hit 9 then 1 closing the waypoints and restarting the map so every thing i did in the last 15 mins was gone. wpmenu 9,1 was actually jump waypoint in the previous waypoint menu.

NOTE2: I almost took out that waypoint in the roof at the bomb site you where talking about.

NOTE3: The reason I add these details is because I would take soulfathers waypoints look at them and see his style and see that he goes WAY into detail which I like a lot!!!

NOTE4: Lots of NOTES

NOTE5: Yes I vote we start a new thread and submit waypoint packs for badass maps!

Now On Your Waypoints

They look great!!! Again nothing important but for MY taste I didn't see enough camp waypoints. I mean they where there but there could have been more. Now thats just what I think there could have been some radius changes in one place but it isn't even worth uploading a pictures. Other than that they look great!

Last edited by biohazerd87; 11-06-2004 at 20:07..

Old
  (#43)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Wow, that's enough notes for a symphony!

Yes, I know the jump problem. That's why I make jumps after everything else is waypointed (well, everything in the area). Then I deactivate apmd, and THEN I jump. Otherwise you end up with tons of silly connections like the ones depicted in the screenie.

Concerning my WP: Yes, there are comparably few camp waypoints in there. I realized that when I walked through the map with WP on, which I hadn't done for a while. You may have noticed that I concentrated camp WPs around the two bomb spots mainly. If I remember correctly, I didn't place any at CT spawn, although there were some nice corners there. I just wanted to avoid bots camping in areas where no action takes place. I dunno, sometimes I place more in a map, sometimes less. Can't really tell why. de_alps is definitely on the less camping-like side, that's true. 9_9

Ok, I'm off for a beer or two now - I'm gonna open a new thread tomorrow. I've got a list of 50 rather new maps, some of which have never been waypointed at all so far. 28 of those maps are finished, but of course it takes time... well, whom do I tell this? 9_9
If you'd like to waypoint some of the remaining maps, you can post which ones you'd like to do, and then we can split up the work a bit. Besides, you will know which ones are already done.
Another pack I'm working at is one that's to contain older, but very good maps. It's in the thread "How about a new PB 2.6mm custom pack?", here:
http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=1764
Feel free to have a look at it and suggest some maps or whatever...

CU tomorrow and wish me luck for tonight - we're gonna play some pool billard (AFTER getting drunk, of course!), which I haven't played for centuries. At least I don't wanna be the one who ruins the table, that's all I ask...

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Last edited by >BKA< T Wrecks; 11-06-2004 at 20:21..

Old
  (#44)
biohazerd87

1. cs_assault_nod
    Yes
  2. cs_boxoffice2k
    Yes I will waypoint this if i can find it
  3. cs_farmyard
  4. cs_india
  5. cs_ncruins2*
    I will check it
  6. cs_rio*
    I will check it
  7. cs_robbery*
    I will check it
  8. de_luxor*
    I will check it
  9. de_meltdown*
    I will check it
  10. de_oriental
    Yes
  11. de_pasta*
    I will check it
  12. de_rock (gotta see if I can get around that ladder bug)
  13. de_silentoperation (old Warbeast classic 9_9 )
  14. de_springer (I think this is a less-known map, but looks great!
    Can't FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by biohazerd87; 11-06-2004 at 21:02..

Old
  (#45)
biohazerd87

Ok I have completed waypoints for cs_boxoffice2k I will PM them to you if you want them

The only BIG problem with the map (VIEW THE PICTURES)

When one team is in the window and another team where I am standing it is like a hostage nagotiation gone wrong. If you don't know what I mean the hostages get owned. I think we should get permission to move the hostages.