.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Re: Recast / Detour
Old
  (#71)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Recast / Detour - 03-11-2015

Thanks a lot for the sharing. Actually I have been working also on my private project until recently and it seems that I'm in the same situation as you waiting for Christmas...

I will check out the code as soon as I get some free hours. Btw I would recommend to create a project in GitHub.

Old
  (#72)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Recast / Detour - 03-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
Thanks a lot for the sharing. Actually I have been working also on my private project until recently and it seems that I'm in the same situation as you waiting for Christmas...

I will check out the code as soon as I get some free hours. Btw I would recommend to create a project in GitHub.
Yeah I have a few projects on Github already, I'll migrate it there when I have a moment and get VS connected. Good shout

Old
  (#73)
Asperoch

Default Re: Recast / Detour - 08-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoptolemus View Post
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I've not had time to work on this, so I'm just going to release the source as it is.

I've cut back on a lot of the experimental stuff which really didn't work, so what you have is essentially the following:

- Ability to process the current map data to generate a navmesh in Recast
- Able to export map and navmesh data to OBJ format
- Basic pathfinding functions including finding random points, generating paths and so on
- Basic steering to avoid corners and getting stuck
- Able to process ladders and include them in the navmesh
- Frustum-based vision for near-perfect simulation of player FOV
- Function stubs for events like bot killed by player, bot killing player, bot seeing player etc.

I want to keep working on this but probably won't get a chance to until Christmas. I'll probably step back from navigation and work on other stuff like bot vision.

Download the source and pre-compiled dll here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...t_20151102.zip

Have fun!
I just tried the bot, and overall it's awesome! Bots were getting stuck sometimes, but it's still very promising.

It really feels like ZBOT navigationally; they were able to cut corners when navigating throughout an alley, instead of navigating strictly on the center part of the alley (because waypoints are usually placed in the center).

Thank you for developing this! Can't wait for the future version of the bot.

Old
  (#74)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Recast / Detour - 08-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asperoch View Post
I just tried the bot, and overall it's awesome! Bots were getting stuck sometimes, but it's still very promising.

It really feels like ZBOT navigationally; they were able to cut corners when navigating throughout an alley, instead of navigating strictly on the center part of the alley (because waypoints are usually placed in the center).

Thank you for developing this! Can't wait for the future version of the bot.
Glad you like it! Doesn't surprise me if the bots have a ZBOT feel to them, as ZBOT also uses navmesh for navigation. Recast uses its own method of generating the navmesh using a voxel grid, which may differ from ZBOT's implementation, but the end results will probably be fairly similar.

I ended up stripping out a lot of the extra navigation stuff I had written, as the overall benefit wasn't really that great, and the code had become messy from constant re-writes, so to make it easier for people to extend I decided to remove it and keep it clean and simple.

I did notice some odd quirks in the code where I had clearly been testing stuff out and not bothered with proper coding convention. I'd also like to tidy up the steering code so that the adjustments based on proximity to a wall are split into a separate function and so on.

I was just thinking about ways to better do bot vision. I want to, eventually, take into consideration things like alpha in a texture, so if an opponent is hiding behind a func_illusionary, it can tell the difference between a chain link fence and the curtains in 747, and will reduce the chances of the bot seeing someone if they are behind a bush (where most of them is obscured) vs if they are behind a chain link fence (where most of them is visible).

I tend to talk a lot, it's hell not having the time to implement your ideas