.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Re: maintainers/coordinators ?
Old
  (#11)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Re: maintainers/coordinators ? - 15-04-2004

yes, i understand and agree,
i could imagine that we would have to get more ppl. on board to do real work for the organisation it selft.
i consider myself to be one of these, and would like to encourage other members to think about, if they are able to spend some time with BU and joint the staff here
it would be ideal if they where simply doing things they like to do and have some skill's in.
I know that there are many out there, and from what i see we could need some help on the wiki with regular overwork, promotion towards users and some skinning. (@PMB why not make a resource kit with images and .css files, even i would then try to do it)
also skilled php/html programmers are allways wanted, as pmb said, there are allways bug to fix in the .php files

cheers out to all BU fans and supporters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
It's a matter of integration.
We want to be taken seriously. Hence we want to look "pro".
We're not forced to do so but it would be ideal and much appreciable if we did.

sunny morning view from my balcony:

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#12)
Squalman

I would really love to help out with the IRC server, im rather skilled with IRC, bots, etc. And would not mind helping out with the web management. And if you ask me, a step like this will be almost necessary for the continued growth of the community. You should also add groups like "The Mapping Guru" and "The [ai-botname] Groupe" or somthing to add a bit more depth to the sense of community. I dunno, i guess i talk alot?

Old
  (#13)
Onno Kreuzinger

yes, good point we had talk about something like a ranking system in the past, i suppose we should reconsider what you proposed, making custom titles.
About the IRC server, that s fine with me, but that is merly advisory, since the council should be reading here, they can perhaps share their thoughts

cheers

Old
  (#14)
SoUlFaThEr

cheers on that

Guinness anyone?

what do you think i might be of assistance with?
i feel a bit helpless.....in my attempt to help

Old
  (#15)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Ok, I agree that we need to allocate more human resources to some of these systems. Let's start looking around for more people who can help out.

I'm learning my way around Linux fairly well, will soon be learning some PHP and how to configure Apache web server, etc. As soon as I think I can lend a hand I'll jump in.

I'd like to make one important point, perhaps we are creating more work for ourselves than is neccessary. If we have too many open projects going on at the same time, then we get fragmented and nothing tends to get completed. Perhaps we should focus on only one or two things at a time until completion - by completion I mean "working well enough" because nothing is ever fully complete.

It may also be worthwhile to set up the ability for people to make contributions to the coding of some of the projects. For example, if the filebase code was publicly available, anyone could fix the bugs without having server access, so long as there's someone made responsible for coordinating the updates, etc.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#16)
Squalman

Yes, i like your idea there botmeister. If the code was available to public then not only would the original thrive, but more bots would arise from it to. (hopefully, different bots designed using the original as a template so to say).

Old
  (#17)
Onno Kreuzinger

well for filebase it was a todo for a long time, the software itself is free (paFileDB) and after i managed to get it working on the server, it took 2 evenings to implement extra features and the PMB spend one day on skinning, so all in all a perfect project, it took only a few days to get to done properly. Since then i added two minor features and do not intend to work more on it. But we also need someone organising the stuff from time to time, so that is a point where i could imagine someone like SoUlFaThEr, in case he, or someone else, want to take the job of filebase manager, i could revert that all mod's can fidle around in the database and the manager can decide who will be able to edit the whole database.

for the wiki i can see it's needed to to some work, that's why we need a BU media resource kit to allow easier skinning, and the wiki code is free, it's "phpwiki 1.3.7", i will make a download avail in the filebase (category BU development). Also the wiki can/should be made a separate web-project so that someone can take it over, and work on it like the others who are hosted here, with the difference that it's not his site but the BU wiki he is managing/running.

For the IRC i see that Squalman has offered his help and this looks promissing for me, i will ask Nova on what to do if we want him to do the IRC manager

cheers (ATM still in a heck of a hurry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
Ok, I agree that we need to allocate more human resources to some of these systems. Let's start looking around for more people who can help out.

I'm learning my way around Linux fairly well, will soon be learning some PHP and how to configure Apache web server, etc. As soon as I think I can lend a hand I'll jump in.

I'd like to make one important point, perhaps we are creating more work for ourselves than is neccessary. If we have too many open projects going on at the same time, then we get fragmented and nothing tends to get completed. Perhaps we should focus on only one or two things at a time until completion - by completion I mean "working well enough" because nothing is ever fully complete.

It may also be worthwhile to set up the ability for people to make contributions to the coding of some of the projects. For example, if the filebase code was publicly available, anyone could fix the bugs without having server access, so long as there's someone made responsible for coordinating the updates, etc.

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#18)
Nova
Council Member

Why dont really need someone for the IRC now do we ?

Or have we ever had problems with it ?

Seb

nova

- Quote: <kodex> I swear. Beta testing increases your e-wang ! :p

- Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Old
  (#19)
Onno Kreuzinger

well for me non-usage is a problem (either switch it of or get it to use) and to get it to use someone must take care, and if someone can do it, why not give it a try ?

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#20)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno
well for me non-usage is a problem (either switch it of or get it to use) and to get it to use someone must take care, and if someone can do it, why not give it a try ?
ditto!

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."