.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Forge of Digital Worlds > Mapping > HL Engine Mapping
HL Engine Mapping Maps for the Half-Life engine Half-Life

Re: RFC - Finally a great new way to edit your bsp entities!
Old
  (#11)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Default Re: RFC - Finally a great new way to edit your bsp entities! - 30-06-2004

Why does it tell me to point it to my CS folder, when I want to edit my SoW maps?

When I try to search for something the program crashes. I cant change the entities in some maps.

It simply dont accept that I write/change anything in the right field.

It dont remember my maps folder, so I have to select it each time.

When I try to open a BSP file with the BSPEdit it just boots up the program as usual without opening the bsp.

Old
  (#12)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: RFC - Finally a great new way to edit your bsp entities! - 30-06-2004

hey Austin, why not publish the source of your program ? we'd put it on CVS here and that would enable people to fix the bugs that have been discussed here...

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#13)
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacker
Why does it tell me to point it to my CS folder, when I want to edit my SoW maps?
I wrote it for CS, so the very first time it is run I check the registry for CS and use them. I had to pick only one game directory to look for the first time, so I picked the game I play CS.

But, once you run one time and quit I remember the last directory used and always use that one from then on. Pretty neat feature actually and it took some time to code all that. If it isn't remembering your last directory please send me more information on how you get this to fail. No one else has reported this one.

Quote:
When I try to search for something the program crashes.
You are the first person to report this error. I would love to fix it if I can reproduce it here. Can you email me the maps and the exact way to cause it to crash? Thanks!

Quote:
I cant change the entities in some maps.
It simply dont accept that I write/change anything in the right field.
I forgot that by default windows edit controls can only handle 32K of text.
They will still show more then 32K of text, but you will not be able to add text to the window. I upped the size on the edit control to 128K and this helped but I still have people saying some maps still have this problem. So later today I will make it dynamic based on the entity size.

The newer version 1.3 with the larger edit control for entities, was posted to the file base a few days ago. Try it.

http://filebase.bots-united.com/pafi...on=file&id=174

Quote:
It dont remember my maps folder, so I have to select it each time.
When I try to open a BSP file with the BSPEdit it just boots up the program as usual without opening the bsp.
Are you saying that once you run it, select some other folder with bps files in it, then exit, the next time you run it, it doesn't start up with the last selected folder? I have never seen this. Pleas email me with exactly what you are dong to get this to happen. I have never seen it.

Not sure what you mean by "when I try to open a BSP file with bsp edit."
You can't! You can only open directories, and you have to open the BSP by selecting a bsp -from the list-

If you are creating a shortcut and putting a bsp file name in as a parameter it will be ignored. There is only one command line parameter and that is -d as described in the docs.

Thanks for the feed back Zacker, exactly what I asked for!
I will fix all bugs if I can get exact directions on how to reproduce them over here.

PS
PM, I published the source since the first version, it's artwork I say ;-)
Two days ago I posted the latest version with two bug fixes to the file base.

Old
  (#14)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

ah indeed Austin
alright then, you mind if I put it on CVS ?

Old
  (#15)
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
ah indeed Austin
alright then, you mind if I put it on CVS ?
No, go ahead, but I have a new version now that fixes two things Zacker reported. (Ok Zacker, I misread your first item. Yo were asking why it says CS folder. I have made that a more generic message, and said browse to a folder that has bsp files..) But I did fix once and for all not being able to add text to the entity edit field.

PM
1) How do I update files I have added to the filebase?
I can't figure it out.
2) How do I ge thte latest source to you to start with in CVS?
3) How do I setup CVS?
4) How di I know when someone submits a change to my source?
5) How do I know who I am, where I am, and what time it is?

Last edited by Austin; 30-06-2004 at 22:26..

Old
  (#16)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

1) Either you log in as "administrator" and you modify the file (upload it again) or you login as "member" and you select "edit file" (or modify file, what applies) - same thing.

2) You need an account on the BU server. Lemme check if you have one already... looks not. I'll create user "austin" for you. You also need a CVS client. I suggest you to get TortoiseCVS. It's free, open source and integrated with Windows explorer. And once you have a CVS client and a shell account you can create the new CVS module yourself (see 3. below)

3) with TortoiseCVS right-click on the folder where your sources are, choose CVS->Make new module, then in the new window in the "CVSROOT" field enter exactly:
:sserver:austin@bots-united.com:/home/cvsroot
the rest fills in automatically. Make sure the name of the new module doesn't have any special characters such as spaces and preferably put it all in lowercase. Hit OK, and the module will be created. Once its done, all you need to do is a "CVS commit" on the same folder to commit (i.e upload) your first changes to the new module. This will actually upload the source.

4) periodically check the module history... changes are automatically handled & merged altogether by the system

5) ask your wife

Old
  (#17)
Austin

Default Re: RFC - Finally a great new way to edit your bsp entities! - 02-07-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
1) Either you log in as "administrator" and you modify the file (upload it again) or you login as "member" and you select "edit file" (or modify file, what applies) - same thing.
Well the file management feature is TOTALY krap.
I twoudl not let me upload a new version because the file existed.
So I delete it. Now BSPEdit is gone and I still can' tupload the new version because it still says the file exists.

Thanks for the other replies. I now have no time for a few days again...

Old
  (#18)
DutchTiger

Default Re: RFC - Finally a great new way to edit your bsp entities! - 02-07-2004

Hm now all the download links of it are down

Old
  (#19)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Prrh, that was fast Austin. I will check the new version as soon as the downloads work again and check how many of the bugs which are left.

Old
  (#20)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: RFC - Finally a great new way to edit your bsp entities! - 03-07-2004

Bill is working on the filebase... I believe the bugs you experience will be fixed soon