.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Time to make some decisions?
Old
  (#21)
Ava3ar

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 15-04-2004

So far we have, BF+UT+CS+Theif 3, which all sounds excellent, although the main problem being that if we used physics we would have to use rag-doll (ugly and crap) instead of real-world (very cpu intensive, everything has a physic, e.g. a bricks density can determine if a building falls or not),

another problem being htat to have lighting work properlly there would have to be an enviromental identifiying engine, (i am outside i use light from sun/lamps, i am inside i use window light direction/shadow and lamp/bulb) which is very hard to code (as far as i have tried so far)

The next area of concern is the POV, i am looking left my body is looking ahead why do i kill you, it makes no sense, we need a Model/POV identifier so that if you are looking left your model says you are looking left (unlike cs, i am looking left yet my model says ahead, so my bullets get hs when they shouldnt)

apart from that it all sounds excellent

Old
  (#22)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 15-04-2004

i said this one before and at least Botmeister agreed here:

i think it should stay as modern as possible......the recent world situations are the best platform for a game to attract attention...even if it takes 3 years to produce it.

a CS like game in the Middle East atmosphere.....desert towns.....dune regions......around oil refineries, weapons factories, remote terrorist training camps and and and......a Palace or 2 could get shot up too.....!!! Thats will be some nice looking mapping !!

I really like what Stephan said at the bottom of page 2 for the game properties. Ava3ar has a great few points too! Especially the lighting problems.....differentiating inside electrical light and outside environmental
ambience.

my question.....is the plan to go commercial with it.....or just a free thing?
the idea of getting Ogre suggest it will be something commercial.

Last edited by SoUlFaThEr; 15-04-2004 at 20:43..

Old
  (#23)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 16-04-2004

A quick note: The "respawn during rounds idea" is just for either "fun mode" or a training mode. It is not intended for serious play. I can say that about a game because I know some ppl take games like CS very seriously. The intention is to not create a compromise situation, but instead allow for perhaps 2 or more modes of operation which allow a server operator to decide what level of game play he wants on his server. The on-line players can then search a list of available servers for the type of game play they want. For league style competition play, the game will most likely always be the "official version" (rather than a mod) and would be played in the highest setting.

Quote:
a CS like game in the Middle East atmosphere.....desert towns.....dune regions......around oil refineries, weapons factories, remote terrorist training camps and and and......a Palace or 2 could get shot up too.....!!! Thats will be some nice looking mapping !!
Now that I think of it, what I really wanted to say was that the game should be capable of simulating real world conflicts in general, not necessarily limited to Middle East conflicts. I mentioned conflicts in the ME because that's where most of the current attention is being focuses these days.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Last edited by botmeister; 16-04-2004 at 01:42..

Old
  (#24)
Ava3ar

ala pro mode

q3, or the recent discussion on the CS forums

good idea

So far its DC v CS v Theif 3, man this sounds f*in awesome

Old
  (#25)
SoUlFaThEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
Now that I think of it, what I really wanted to say was that the game should be capable of simulating real world conflicts in general, not necessarily limited to Middle East conflicts. I mentioned conflicts in the ME because that's where most of the current attention is being focuses these days.
oh sure thats cool ! thats why i mentioned it too !!

those are just the ideas in my head right now... i also had Jugoslavia in my first idea post about topics for the game. Jugoslavian winter mountainous areas are going to be cool looking things too...snow capped mountains etc...
(drivable snowmobiles if we ever decide to use vehicles with this thing) i made drivable snowmobiles in one of my maps for CS...they were pretty cool as far as vehicles go in cs 9_9

Old
  (#26)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 18-04-2004

did i say something wrong?? what happened?

Old
  (#27)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 18-04-2004

i've been away for the past few days :p

Looks like things are coming along. Just a note or 2..
This game will be free, and open source. With maybe a closed source 'Anti-Cheat' module.

A couple of map ideas i've had (if they offend, i appologise in advance, the ideas were designed as an insight into what could be done.)

Terror on the Airlines: A senario where a plan has been taken over by terroists, the 'Good Guys' and maybe another teams start in seperate areas of the plane, their objective is simple, elimiate the terrorist threat. There would be a box or 2 of weapons stashed in the plane for people to grab. Maybe if we do it well enough, we can have the plane moving, and possibly people 'bad footing' themselves, making accuracy harder. maybe have some interesting effects for if a player 'shoots thru the hull' (We may be able to get away with a plane pilot trying to fly to a goal.. or.. more planes, with CTs trying to board, who knows )

War in Iraq: Another Terrorist / CT style map (with maybe other forces that can 'assist' one team or the other). Only in this map (and maybe others) there will be civilians, which could be programmed to riot against the team / player that kills the most of em :p

Like i say, those were based on real life events, which could provide a great foothole for the game. The recent "War on Terror" provides a large number of possible scenarios.

From what i've seen thou, people dont wanna 'respawn' during rounds, which imo limits us a lot. we cant have large maps, due to 1 on 1's (They will never find each other) meaning theres no need for any form of vehical. Unless theres a map type that does 'waypoints' when you reach one, your team respawns at it (in a 'push' fashion)but if you all die before reaching a waypoint, its game over.. *WATCH OUT FOR SNIPERS!*

Another thing i want, is life like damage. One thing i hate about CS, is that you can pound a player with about 3 pistol shots to the head (this is without helmet) and they still not die. Same with a knife. It will make tactical manuvouring more favoured, thus involking team play
Anyway, thats all i have to say for now

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network

Old
  (#28)
birchoff

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 23-04-2004

Dont mean to ring back up the multiserver multi map topic. But it seems to me that it could be easily done with transition maps. the concept is if your going to move from one map to another there is an intermediate map that you must cross. This allows for the server to do what ever it needs to do ahead of time to make the required connections to make the operations as smooth as possible.

Another way of looking at it is .hack sign ( for those who dont know its a really kool anime that needs to be seen) like basically have telepotation points to different servers. even though this would ruin the real world feel of the game but the same scenarios could be used.

Finally, even though you dont want to have to think about it now it should still be put on the to do list for the game. for example it can be a feautre used in lans where you can generally garauntee low pings between servers. Or it could be enabled on servers in the same location to allow for different scenarios to be played out.

Old
  (#29)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 12-05-2004

Maybe just a small mov of you sitting in the back of an APC while your computer loads the map?
Thing is, what happens, if Player1 changes map first, player2 goes in a second after, and player2 has a faster computer than player1?
They will be sat on the new server waiting for player1 to come thru ;p

I like how loads of ideas are being thown around, I've come up with an idea that may 'balance' the respawn problem.

Basically, its been said that if you respawn immediatly, it will reduce team play so, i propose this.

Reward Team players will a smaller wait time.

Player A is a sniper,
Player B is an assault dude.

If player B has been in a certain Diameter of player A for a certain ammount of time, and gets killed, its kinda obvious that player B was protecting the sniper. So set a default spawn time of (lets say..) 60secs.

If anyone dies doing things like protecting snipers, attacking goals with other players (Flags, outposts etc), just general team play, reduce their 'respawn wait' to 5secs. Therefor, any 'Rambo' or someone not involved with the team will have to wait a LOT longer than anyone else to spawn. Snipers with more than X kills on the trot near something like a base or a goal should also be concidered a 'team player' imo.

If we decide 'this is good' we need to lay out what makes a team player from a general moron :p (And the best ways to decide this )

=====

Old
  (#30)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 26-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
Somehow we have to make something we LIKE, i also want to stress out we should not try to be original in a way, because its about gameplay. Even when this game will look like many games nowadays, if its good, it will outrule the others.
Something i need to note about this, If the game becomes a success, PC Game magazines around the world will 'review' it.

PCGamer recently reviewed a game, which was pretty much identical to Counter-strike, it got 55%, it also got some seriously BAD comments because of it, The intro Reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer, March 2004
Let's get this out of the way from the start: Counter-Strike. There i've said it. New World Order is a lot like Counter-Strike. OK? I could spend this entire review enumerating the ways that NWO has ripped off (sorry, 'been inspired by') CS because this unashamed clone is practically nothing else.
Would i buy that game? no

We need to add some sorta 'originality' to the game, granted the fact people wont be paying for it is a plus, however, if it gets reviewed like that, we wont have any people playing either

=====