.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Engine
Old
  (#21)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Engine - 04-01-2004

I have seen it multiple times, gonna read the info when i have more time. Looks sweet indeed though!

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#22)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

I see nowhere mentioned that it knows the "level of detail" technology though...

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#23)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

hmm, i should not worry about that to much right now

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#24)
DrEvil

It supports LOD

Omni-bot AI framework
http://www.omni-bot.com

Foxbot - for Team Fortress Classic
http://www.foxbot.net

Old
  (#25)
Squalman

Default Re: Engine - 10-01-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
now for l33t people at this place, what are we going to do? Create an own engine? I think that is truly insane, it would be better to take a look at an engine which is good and free. Of course we have bots to work on and several other things on our hands, this would be worth considering.

We should set our goals about the game though, i'd say, make a mixture between DoD and CS and beat the crap out of the 2 original mods. Make it so cool that we l33t coders can take over the world and get richer then Bill Gates.. muhahahaha. erm, right o_O 9_9

just recently have i ventured outside of the realbot forums and noticed several places caught my eye... Insane people only? so, THATS what they call that... the only problem is i have nothing to work with anymore :/. I got the software just not the cream filling... :'(

Also: it would be interesting even if i were to tag along to take some of this in considering the last time i had worked with C++ before i got visual studio 6 was using an old old old old Borland compiler. That and im a warehouse of ideas.

Last edited by Squalman; 10-01-2004 at 03:23..

Old
  (#26)
Cephas

Default Re: Engine - 16-01-2004

i've been lurking the bot boards for about a month now, been testing all the bots and they are all awesome. just visited other sections and came accross this thread.

I could help with the later development of the game. My brother is an audio engineer and i have access to his personal mini studio thats in a room about 30feet from me. I know how to make realistic sound effects and background theme music. I also used worldcraft for about a year making SP half-life levels for me and my friends, so i could help with level design and have also created numerous UT skins for player models. I have 2 friends that are very good in 3DSMax and Cinema4D so they could help out in that aspect. The only computer programming i know is BASIC, PEARL, JAVA, HTML, and some Pascal. I "understand" most C code but writing it is a different story.

I also know linux and the KDE desktop very well. I have 3 computers in my room and tons of random hardware, so i could do some compatibility testing if ever needed, since you guys said you wanted it to be able to run on various computer platforms.

Like I said, if this project ever does start moving, i can help with the later parts, Sound, Level design, Skins, Modeling, and small parts in programming.

Old
  (#27)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Thanks for the offer !

Don't worry we WILL move on someday, but understand that most of us would like to build their existing projects to completion beforehand - furthermore the idea is just arising, and lots of things remain to discuss. Botmeister has a whole theory on this but maybe it's too early to speak up. We're actually discussing some things and others on this matter

Old
  (#28)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

I think its great to have an idea, we should just finish our stuff first before we go on with something huge like this.

However, when its time, i bet we can make a h*ll of a game together. We surely can need any help we can get!

Old
  (#29)
Cephas

Default Re: Engine - 19-01-2004

What about the Quake or Quake II Engine, Its free over the GNU and its surely proven itself over the years. I mean, Half-life was made with the Quake engine.

Old
  (#30)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Engine - 19-01-2004

Yes, but take a look at Ogre... it's so much better

The Quake I and II engines are outdated for a certain number of reasons, especially they have rendering limitations that we can't decently have in a modern game... (polygon counts, absence of level of detail, models, sprites, etc).