.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Council membership
Old
  (#1)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Council membership - 01-03-2005

Guys and gals listen up

These are the facts:
- i won't develop RB further (for CS 1.6)
- there is some high chance i won't be developing a bot for HL2/CSS
- CSS has a bot, and i lack the motivation to do it again
- HL2DM bots, i just saw they where possible, but i lack again motivation
- i do visit the boards every day (so i am active, i read posts)
- i do support the forums (EDIT -> That means, RB forums, so i try to help users who ask questions. Though sometimes i wonder why i made a readme)
- when i have time, i feel more like finishing up my old open project of Dune II then working for CSS/HL2

i wonder if my commitment to BU is still worth the Council membership. I don't want to quit it, as i still see myself one of the 'founders' (well thanks to PMB who asked me 'in' and to the guys who agreed to that, asp, Nova, etc!) of BU. I won't leave it.

So the question is, what do you want? Do you want me to stay in the council membership? Or do you think someone else fits the profile more?

Just being honest, and i want the best for BU.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Last edited by stefanhendriks; 01-03-2005 at 18:31.. Reason: being more specific in one 'fact'

Re: Council membership
Old
  (#2)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

Default Re: Council membership - 01-03-2005

I don't know a replacement for you in the council, and you are one of the founders as you stated too.
and since you said you visit the forums, so voting here and there would still be possible. So i'd say that there is no problem with you staying in the council, even if you are not working on a bot anymore, at least not directly.

same goes for me btw, i'm pretty busy with university. ok, sometimes I still work on the bot, but not 3-6 hours a day like a couple of months ago ...

Old
  (#3)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: Council membership - 02-03-2005

I hear what you guys are saying, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I don't think that actively developing a bot is essential to be a worthy council member, but having council members that participate in other ways is very important.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Well Stefan, it's not very different from me here, and that's perfectly normal. You can't focus on just one single activity if it's a big project like a bot. Loss of motivation is unavoidable with time. But you can cope with that very well if you switch to something else from time to time. This is exactly what I'm doing with my own bot. Sometimes after a month or two (or even longer!!) I get a motivation boost and code the bot like crazy. It's MUCH more gratifying because they make HUGE progresses in a VERY short time. Then the progression stalls and I switch to something else, to put my brain to rest and let the fresh ideas come back.

You are thinking you won't work again on RealBot nor any other HL/Source project because you currently lack that motivation. Yet I would bet you will, anyhow. But so far, if you need to switch to something else, FFS do it !!! That's the ONLY way to work, and I spit on any guy who tells me the contrary, be it my boss!

Your place in the council can certainly be discussed, but not for that reason

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#5)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

i've been contacted by someone who is a very addicted dune 2 fan like me. And since my clone needs an update and i have motivation, we're working on that together. The results are very nice. Basicly we are doubling up the gfx and resolution and then make the gfx uber sharp. It looks very nice so far, and i am glad things work out this way.

We'll see about motivation about bots in the future, its certainly not a lack of motivation to code

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#6)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

i guess nobody has to lack of motivation to code here, but we have all different projects running

Old
  (#7)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

Default Re: Council membership - 03-03-2005

Same here. Last couple weeks i've been occupied with my (remote) linux audio player.
But sometime soon or later i'll be back on the bot again.
Like it's been said before me. You gotta do sumting else for a change.

Old
  (#8)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Council membership - 04-03-2005

actually when coding, i also code AI for my RTS game. Its something totally different, but its in the family of bots... sort off

Old
  (#9)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Council membership - 22-03-2005

Hi stefan..

As a lot of you know, i've been here a while, and although you are no longer motivated to continue development of realbot, i still think you are a valued council member. As was said, you don't need to be a developer to be a member, and as far as i'm concerned, and from what i've seen, you deserve your membership, now more than ever.

So what i'm trying to say is..
Keep it

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network