.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Common Questions
Common Questions Are you seeking help ? Get it here !

Can bad waypoints cause High Pings/Lag?
Old
  (#1)
mattisbogus

Default Can bad waypoints cause High Pings/Lag? - 17-07-2009

Hello, first I would like to say that PodBot is an excellent project, and I hope it only continues to get better. I have recently started to learn to waypoint, and find it pretty fun.

My Problem

Well I run a dedicated server from my home connection. My specs are as follows.

Intel Pent. 4 3.0 Ghz
1 GB Ram
70 GB HD

10 Mbps / 1Mbps

Rates
21 slot server ((9 Humans vs 12 bots))
sv_maxrate 7500
sv_minrate 3500
sv_maxupdaterate 13
sv_minupdaterate 15
sv_unlag 1
sys_ticrate 1000

Server runs at about 250 FPS

I Understand that my uplink isn't very high, but this is what I don't understand.

A lot of maps do pretty well when it comes to ping, esp. BIGGER maps. For Instance I waypointed a map de_assault_upc all by myself, 100% my points, and it runs VERY nicely. However if I run a map such as de_westwood with waypoints downloaded off the internet, after about 4 people and 8 bots, pings reach in the 100s. After looking over the waypoints, they aren't bad, but what I would like to know, is that can a map that is poorly waypointed cause these high pings? Or what if the bots bunch up 5-6 together in one area, can this cause high pings? I ask this because on cs_assault, the bots would bunch up around ladder red box, and after removing a jump point to ladder, they don't try and rush ladder much anymore, and the pings don't seem to be as high.

Re: Can bad waypoints cause High Pings/Lag?
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Can bad waypoints cause High Pings/Lag? - 18-07-2009

On the same map - more waypoints -> more calculations for 1 bot (in pathfinding algorithm). More bots - the same calculations above are multiplayed by amount of bots. The problem isn't the fps 100 instead 250. The problem is the fluctuating change of fps. If fps raises and falls all the time - that is annoying. But if You put fps max at 100 and it keeps still 100 - even for those maps with higher amount of waypoints or bots - it still works smoothly and fine. Because of the bots code (msec paramter = integer number of miliseconds for bot's movement per frame = 1000/fps) - the fps shouldn't be set higher than 100 (msec lower than 10 doesn't work very well with bots - the movement isn't smooth, the aiming gets worse etc).