.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Bug Reports
Bug Reports Post any bug you experience with the latest release of this bot here

Button code is still f*cked up...
Old
  (#1)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Button code is still f*cked up... - 03-06-2004

Ok, here's the deal; there are 2 things I noticed:
1) Yesterday I played around with the waypoints in cs_iraq to see if I could fix them up - especially at the doors to the hostage rooms. Now as Pierre-Marie had told, I made the connections through the doors veeeery long (this time far beyond the highest apmd setting, approx. 300-350 units !!) and tried it out, and it didn't work. I tried two different WP layouts, and both failed.
2) On cs_siege2k (nice remake, 100% bot-compatible this time, WP available from me on request (but please in a new thread in WP forum, ok?)), I saw bots getting stuck exactly on the threshold of an open door and play that annoying "push the imaginary button" game again - until round end. The problem is that there are no buttons, and the doors open fine. I found out that the connections through these doors also had to be veeeeery long in order to work at all, although there's no button there.

Ok, so it seems that the suggested solution to make very long connections works as long as there are no buttons. Thus, problem 2) is avoidable and doesn't need to be fixed in the code.
If there are buttons, however, it fails miserably (see screenshots in ZIP). The bots try to reach the button on the other side of the wall and get stuck forever. Check the button flags on both screenies - the first shows the way I think this ought to be waypointed, the second one is an experiment, which would actually have worked, hadn't it been for the buggy button code.

If I understood you coders correctly, this is what bots do: If a path through a door is blocked by an entity like func_door or whatever the mapper used, the bot will check for a button nearby and push it before continuing. As soon as the obstacle is removed (i.e. the door is opened), the bots will leave the button alone because no obstacle is detected. If the button needs to be pushed every single time (auto-closing doors like in cs_iraq), a WP with button flag can be inserted near the button, preferably in a way that enforces that bots pass the button prior to attempting to go through the door.
BUT: In the "search for button" routine, do bots check if access to a button is blocked by a solid brush or anything else that blocks their path? Because I think that's the problem... they "see" a button on the other side of a wall and try to push it - which doesn't work in most cases.
Besides, they stray from waypointed navigation when going to buttons - thus, in cs_arabstreets, when I close the door, bots will bump into it, begin to search for a button, turn in the direction of the button and push into thin air, getting stuck forever again. I'd rather have them follow waypoint connections to get near that button. That would force waypointers to set nodes right next to buttons, but it would ensure that bots choose an appropriate approach angle to reach the button instead of walking towards it in a straight line, disregarding all obstacles (like protruding door frames) and getting stuck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ButtonBugs.zip (84.0 KB, 339 views)

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Re: Button code is still f*cked up...
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Button code is still f*cked up... - 03-06-2004

I wanted report this problem with buttons, too. Maybe I didn't want so sharp words title...
I tryied about 5 times different configurations of WP near this garage's door (cs_arabstreets) to force bots to open it - still without success (but I was thinking I'm too bad waypointer). But if T Wrecks can't do this the same like me - something must be wrong in this button code. I tryied with and without "use_button" flag , I looked to the de_prodigy , but there is different situation - the door is not so big, so button near by doesn't need "use_button" flag. But what about cs_arabstreet - this garage door need or not this flag? How to force bots to open it?
BTW - now You have good ocassion to see if this garage door kills bots , too (during opening, exactly the same like these sliding doors at first floor).
Maybe some coder can say us what exactly happen in this situation? Why only bots are killed by opening doors and human-players not? Sorry for off-topic but there was some thread about this at MAPPING forum, but no one coder wanted to say something...

Last edited by KWo; 03-06-2004 at 12:41..

Old
  (#3)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
Default Re: Button code is still f*cked up... - 04-06-2004

well the door button code does this...
it checks if the door is being targeted by a button.
if so it'll goto the button and push it then go through the door..
but it also makes sure that the button isn't through a wall..

Old
  (#4)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPlOrYgOn
it checks if the door is being targeted by a button.
Then how come I saw bots getting stuck and trying to push a button in those double sliding doors in cs_siege2k? Those doors don't have buttons and open fine without.
I got around this problem by placing the WPs in front of the door and behind of it very far from each other - if the code behaved as you say, this shouldn't stop bots from looking for a button! But it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sPlOrYgOn
but it also makes sure that the button isn't through a wall..
Well, look at the screenshots... these bots are DEFINITELY targeting the door button on the other side of the wall, not the one that's on their side. This even happens if the WP with the button flag is WAY nearer to the correct button than to the other one (see first pic).

Old
  (#5)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

oh you attached screenshots...

well I dunno whats wrong then..

Old
  (#6)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

@sPlOrYgOn - here You have a demo (CS1.5) saved by me in no-clip mode and pwf file - if You want cs_iraq map (2 702 716 bytes created 1999.12.13 23:59), I can send You by e'mail with some needed wads files. When You 'll see this at Your computer, maybe this can help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cs_iraq_demo.zip (147.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: zip cs_iraq_pwf.zip (32.3 KB, 347 views)

Old
  (#7)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: Button code is still f*cked up... - 05-06-2004

this might help understand something about it:
some doors are triggered by a trigger_multiple.....meaning you walk through the invisible trigger........and the door opens.......this is done to make the door start opening before you actually touch it.....i have done this is some of my maps.....and since the door has a name...and is targeted.....the bot is stuck on the triggermultiple thinking it has to "use"...when it actually doesnt...

there are many ways to make doors work and not all of them can be flawlessly covered in one bit of button code

Old
  (#8)
>BKA< T Wrecks

True. However, those doors in cs_iraq don't open before you have reached them. It's the classical case there: Go there, push button, wait a sec, walk through, door closes after a short time. No invisible triggers here (wish there were!)

Old
  (#9)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

what if the button is targeting a multi trigger and the multi trigger is targeting the door..
then the bot would be trying to push the multi trigger

Old
  (#10)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

yes, this is also done in de_prodigy afaik.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me