.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Classic Programmer Situation
Old
  (#1)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy
This user broke our rules and has been BANNED

Warning Classic Programmer Situation - 05-07-2006

Here we go again .....the coding and the headache of course!
Have I told you that I ........abandoned Webots ? Yes , YEs I did
after at least 3 silly but nerve killing bugs in the software from cyberbotics , I said:

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo you Webots !!! (NATO phonetic code)

So right now I'm hanging on the street without a 3d Simulation Engine
but anyways , Webots wasn't all that great piece of software , with all the glitches I would say it's an average software nothing major , but becuz of Robotics' typical field nature and
the rarity of simulation software for the purpose of AI development ....Webots has somehow got some popularity.

yet I can't understand how more than 250 universities and research institutes have claimed this software as a standard......at least that's what Cyberbotics claims , LOL

...........but after waking up and smelling the ashes , I gotta start looking for some new opportunity to test/simulate/evaluate my nasty AI dishes
You know I need some 3d digital VR world , where I can decieve my "robots" into thinking that what they see and hear(but not limited to) to believe that that's reality! just like in the Matrix , LOL

Now after freezing the idea of using HL and/or it's mods or any other FPS game for several rather complicated reasons , I was itching myself about making my own VR software or game! Yes you heard it right!

.....but it's so far just an inmature idea(which is the reason why I didn't put this post in the obssession forum) and I even might change my mind , because you know definitly more than me what kind of pain in the ass this could be.....

....although still reluctant, I've technically started scheming about the subject and the first question that's to be answered is what graphic API should I use?
I'm reading right now through a camparison between OpenGl and D3D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D_vs._OpenGL
So what would you choose ? openGL or D3D?

Re: Classic Programmer Situation
Old
  (#2)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Classic Programmer Situation - 05-07-2006

[off]
Heh. I don't think that you can create engine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make you angry or smg but:
1) You can't make a simple bot for HL/MODs or other open source game.
2) You are not serious for any project that you tried to start.
3) There is no easy things in the live. The coding is not easy at all. You must spare a lot time.
Better get back to HL and finish something. If you need help there is persons that will help as long as you are serious.
[/off]
Sinse I don't want this to be fully offtopic I suggest OpenGL. Its more light for more old hardware and its cross-platform.
I hope that I make some sense.

Old
  (#3)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy

OpenGL , Hmmmm expected this asnwer....
Actually the issue of plantform independence isn't such a big priority to me, since I've been using windows for a fare long time(not saying that it's such a great OS neither)
Right now for a start , I'm concerned about the ease of implentantion and performance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_STORM
Heh. I don't think that you can create engine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make you angry or smg but:
1) You can't make a simple bot for HL/MODs or other open source game.
2) You are not serious for any project that you tried to start.
3) There is no easy things in the live. The coding is not easy at all. You must spare a lot time.
NO I'm not Angry with you Storm , but All your 3 above statements are Wrong!
1)I didn't make a bot for HL/mod yet , becuz I was working on webots till now(re-read the first post) by the way I'm making a bot for ricochet based on the source of Whistler..
2)I'm always serious about my projects and there was no project that I started that I didn't finish! I either finish the project or I don't start it at all..
3)I said before that making an engine is everything else than a piece of cake , I'm still studying the subject that's why I started this thread..

I don't want to sound arrogant but , here is a little advise from me:
Never Ever judge people about their abilities! especially not when you know So little about them....

Old
  (#4)
-=RAV=-AdrianShephard
Current Status: MIA

Play nice children.

Spamming RB Forums Since August 2001.

Old
  (#5)
Rick
Council Member

I don't think you you should create one from scratch, since your goal is AI not an engine. This way you don't reinvent the wheel, you actually have time to do some AI coding and you can still do anything you want(that is if you take an open source engine). Some nice ones: Ogre or irrlicht.

Old
  (#6)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Classic Programmer Situation - 06-07-2006

I agree with Rick. Don't start an engine from scratch - let others do all that kind of work for you! Pick an engine, and integrate A.I into it. Trying to do the complex tasks of A.I, plus a rendering pipeline, plus physics, resource management...even the big companies use additional libraries for various things (especially the physics) so that they have an easier time of it.

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#7)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy

Default Re: Classic Programmer Situation - 06-07-2006

You are totally right people(Rick and Mirv)
I'm an AI programmer in all cases , but it seems that the frustrating bugs in Webots and the relative un-suitability of FPS games in general for my project and experiments..........
have driven me at least temporally to those Extreme Ideas of making an Engine . LOOOOL

right now I'm deciphering some Botman Code............wait a minute this Ogre engine looks kick Ass and the other one seems to be promising too!

Hmmmm I think I need to take some time to consult on my current "state of the project"