.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Re: Webserver SUMMER TIME was: Web-Server Spring-Break
Old
  (#11)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Re: Webserver SUMMER TIME was: Web-Server Spring-Break - 06-06-2007

Hi,

small update, no problems so far, apart the monitoring system being not yet 100% (a false alert, missing stats for some hours). The performace is fine, spamfiltering is not yet perfect, but that will improve soon.

Update2:
The stats had been wrong due to a OOM condition cause by multiple ssh password scans. I changed the ssh config accordingly (on all servers), the VE stuff (memory barrier and hard limit) prevented the running process from starving and apache + mysql (and mail ...) kept running.
We lost some viewers due to apache not being able to spawn more preforker processes for about 30 minutes, after all it was a good lesson

Update3:
Important for all BU Mailusers:
we now use greylisting (again), see wikipedia for detailed info on "what is that"
We use a softer variant, that is sending 421 temp failure SMTP codes on the first connection of a IP, after some minutes the next connect will succeed. The database stores any known ip/target-address for weeks, so the initial delay is payed of later on.
We also use DNS RBL blacklists, they generate a proper 5xx failure code, since those listed hosts will be rejected as long as they are listed.
Please complain to me, if you are having problems!

Both antispam systems send human readable error messages pointing the affected user to the cause of the delay or permanent reject.

For SENDING email nothing changes, the system recognizes, that you authenticate to the mailserver, thus you need no greylisting and by god no RBL list. Assuming you are on a dial-up line, your home ip should be listed in the blocklist. You are no mailserver

You might notice also, that any smtp connection is throttled heavily during handshake, this is intentionally and cost about 15 seconds. This way mailwaves cant make spamassasin go wild But on the other hand websites testing your emailaddress have a delay and might even fail. (I only know one website rejecting a emailadress after a 421 error code, the error code is clear: you are fine (sender, recipent), but I cant accept mail from your: temp. local failure).

Cheers Onno

sunny morning view from my balcony:

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Last edited by Onno Kreuzinger; 07-06-2007 at 23:44..

Old
  (#12)
Onno Kreuzinger

Default Re: Webserver SUMMER TIME was: Web-Server Spring-Break - 09-06-2007

Hi,
just a tale from "the net", the DNS Realtime Black List works very strict, please be sensitive to people complaining to you, always have the error message forwarded and read it carefully.

The goot hing is, a email adress check from network-tools.som works like a charm: (http://network-tools.com/default.asp...ots-united.com)
While the same kind of tool from a "email marketing company" gets permanent rejected:
http://www.email-unlimited.com/tools/verify-email.aspx

And I have some stats from the webserver VE:
(see: stats-graph.png)
The system was rebootet almost 23h ago, so that is a good starting point, lets see what longtime stats show.

The apache stas are now processed using awstats, I think of publishing them somehow.

Cheers Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stats-graph.png
Views:	493
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1013  

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#13)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Webserver SUMMER TIME was: Web-Server Spring-Break - 06-07-2007

It looks like the problem with big files uploading (for example 3.6 MB) to the filebase appeared again. It didn't give me the link after uploading the file. The link should look so:
http://filebase.bots-united.com/uplo...ll_V3_B18c.zip
"The file podbot_full_V3_B18c.zip has been uploaded! The URL to the file is
Click Here to place this URL in the Download URL field."

Even if I place the link manually, the file cannot be downloaded from that location. You still miss some settings they should be remaining during forum updates It hapnes after about 60seconds of uploading. Maybe the file cannot be fully uploaded (because of some time limit setting)?

Please check the log from today's morning (about 8:00 - 8:30 my (Polish) timezone).

Old
  (#14)
Onno Kreuzinger

Default Re: Webserver SUMMER TIME was: Web-Server Spring-Break - 14-07-2007

Ok,

sorry for beeing late on this one
I will fix it ASAP.

* Updated: *
please retry, it should work now for files around 30 - 40 mbytes, anyone having larger files, please contact me directly.

for the rest here a status update:
Server runs fine, we have some greylisting (no spamassasin/content filtering )spam stats (see two attached SVG Images in ZIP, hope you can open them).
As well as performance stats from the whole server (see PNGs).

Also we now have web-analytics, but I have not figured out, how to make cool stats for every subdomain automaticaly, so that is a future thing.

The server gets more and more popular now, we are at ~40% peak-avg load for a 15 min timeframe, so still room for more

Cheers Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BU_webserver_day.png
Views:	465
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1037   Click image for larger version

Name:	BU_webserver_month.png
Views:	450
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1038   Click image for larger version

Name:	BU_webserver_week.png
Views:	471
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1039  
Attached Files
File Type: zip spam-stats-hermes-project.com.zip (4.0 KB, 438 views)

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Last edited by Onno Kreuzinger; 14-07-2007 at 14:37..

Old
  (#15)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Webserver SUMMER TIME was: Web-Server Spring-Break - 14-07-2007

Thank You very much. It works now.