.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Bug Reports
Bug Reports Post any bug you experience with the latest release of this bot here

Re: Bots get stuck at top of ladder
Old
  (#31)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Bots get stuck at top of ladder - 24-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Wrecks
Could this problem be caused by the fact that the bots are no longer "locked" to a certain direction when climbing ladders? AFAIR, this used to be the case with older PB versions. The downside was that bots couldn't fight each other while climbing ladders because they were prohibited from aiming at their enemy due to this lock.
That's exactly it.

Quote:
Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to re-introduce the lock BUT in a way that it gets deactivated as soon as an enemy is in sight? And reactivate it as soon as the enemy has vanished (fled or died)? Or is this too complicated?
the problem with reintroducing the lock is that the bot won't be able to SEE the enemies anymore. No, instead, a more clever ladder code must be used. For example, when you climb the ladder at the CT spawn in cs_assault, you don't look straight up until the top of the ladder, as soon as you can see above the building, you turn yourself in that direction and finish climbing the ladder by STRAFING RIGHT. This is what the bots should do when their next waypoint is more or less 90° on the left according to the ladder angles.

In a former DLL I tried to make a quick and dirty fix by temporarily setting the origin of the faulty waypoint (the one AFTER the ladder) a little higher and a little closer to the bot. It helped a bit for some ladders, but I had not tested it thoroughly for all at all, so that might be a direct incidence of that modification.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#32)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: Bots get stuck at top of ladder - 24-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
For example, when you climb the ladder at the CT spawn in cs_assault, you don't look straight up until the top of the ladder, as soon as you can see above the building, you turn yourself in that direction and finish climbing the ladder by STRAFING RIGHT.
Oops... in fact, I never did that. I always kind of go into the corner when climbing up there - until I get over the edge. But nice idea, that right strafe one...

Do you remember when you removed the lock I mentioned? Was it really after the dll I found (Apr, 5 or something)?

Dang, this is not easy to get right. In general, bots must be forced to look upwards when going over the edge. Otherwise in some maps, some ladders will cease to work altogether. On the other hand, however, they must be free to fight an enemy - at least another bot on the same ladder. If they can't do that, we will see those "bot pyramids" on long ladders again...

Hmmmm... how do bots recognize that they're stuck in another bot? If there's some code for "detecting collisions with other players" or whatever it may be called, maybe it could be used as a trigger to override the ladder movement lock. This way, they would at least be able to shoot an enemy bot who is between them and their next WP - instead of being stuck forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
the problem with reintroducing the lock is that the bot won't be able to SEE the enemies anymore. No, instead, a more clever ladder code must be used.
Or could the viewing angle be locked to a value that would make it impossible not to see an obstacle blocking the ladder? Let's say if you look forward, parallel to the ground, that's an angle of 0° (z axis). 90° would be looking vertically upwards. Now if you climb up somewhere and look 80 - 89° upwards, I guess you will see everything that's above you on the ladder. And if bots could see their enemies on the ladder, they could enter combat mode (overriding the lock) and fight them, couldn't they? Same procedure for downward movement, of course.

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#33)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Bots get stuck at top of ladder - 25-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by >BKA< T Wrecks
In general, bots must be forced to look upwards when going over the edge. Otherwise in some maps, some ladders will cease to work altogether. On the other hand, however, they must be free to fight an enemy - at least another bot on the same ladder. If they can't do that, we will see those "bot pyramids" on long ladders again...

This way, they would at least be able to shoot an enemy bot who is between them and their next WP - instead of being stuck forever.
I'm agree with You, T Wrecks - there is something to do with fighting bots on the ladders, too. But I think for this we will need to open the separate thread, because this one staying to be a little bit too big like some threads in the past at this forum...
I can add only one word to this situation on cs_assault at this big ladder - last time I was waiting for bot there - at the edge of the building near the top of the ladder. I simply killed two bots before reaching by them top of the ladder, because they didn't try to look at the target of its climbing.
I'm agree with PMB about this change in ladders fighting mode - now they can shoot during climbing because they look paralell to the ground - this is 100% OK. But I think , they should look sometimes during climbing also up and down to better see the situation (these situations described by T Wrecks and me). There is whole problem with this "look around" of bot. I noticed the fact - bots remember the last sound and view of enemie and they are still looking at that direction. The result is this , that they go and look at the wall (because they remember last enemie direction) and they don't see waiting for them enemies behind its back. If this is not clear what I described now, I can prepare some screenshots for better understanding the problem.
Stop KWo - need new thread for this...

OK - about ladder climbing problem now all is clear - there is something to do with bot's climbing code and now this thread can be closed, I think. Who can do this (close this thread)?

Last edited by KWo; 25-05-2004 at 01:16..

Old
  (#34)
SoUlFaThEr

so i suppose, ladies and gents, that when this ladder code piece is "fixed", that my waypoints will still be knee-smacking, toe-jamming, nut-scratchin, downright nice stuff??

Old
  (#35)
>BKA< T Wrecks

No. You'll just have to fix all your WPs again, dude Hehehe, hopefully not. I'd have to do the same, and I sure wouldn't want to do that AGAIN.
Well, now we gotta see how to fix that code. IMHO, the ladder code is a bit f*cked up anyway - tomorrow I'm gonna attach some screenies to show situations where bots don't do what they're supposed to do on a ladder - kick another bot's arse!

Old
  (#36)
Huntkillaz

/slightly off topic

i still am getting the bot's colide n stuck together at waypoints (ene if wp has large radius) i got screenshots and demo's i'll post up whne i get home

i suspect there is a problem in bot collides func since i see em mostly stuck at ground wp's

here's a dem i'm not sure how good it is... or if it's the correct one

also how i got really tired of aiming at this really high wpt..............wondering why it automatically connects the top n bottom wp's even though they r so far apart....don't tell me it's autopath max distance (i have that set at 250 default n never chANGE IT)

oh and here's something really weird:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	248   Click image for larger version

Name:	notkilled.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	249   Click image for larger version

Name:	killed.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	250  
Attached Files
File Type: zip stuck.zip (36.1 KB, 273 views)

●_•

Last edited by Huntkillaz; 25-05-2004 at 12:40..

Old
  (#37)
Huntkillaz

*bump*

●_•

Old
  (#38)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntkillaz
also how i got really tired of aiming at this really high wpt..............wondering why it automatically connects the top n bottom wp's even though they r so far apart....don't tell me it's autopath max distance (i have that set at 250 default n never chANGE IT)
Nope, it doesn't have anything to do with apmd settings. It's the ladder waypoint code. It's been corrected to fix some bugs (e.g. a wrong connection being drawn from the upper ladder WP to the lower approach point). Now two ladder WPs get automatically connected bidirectionally (used to be only up => down), no matter how long the distance between them is. The drawback is that when you have more ladder WPs, you gotta delete some connections manually - and this can be a serious PITA with the new aiming system.
Use the option "Cache this waypoint" from the WP menu when you're at the upper ladder WP. Now go down to the lowest ladder WP and hit your "delete connection" key twice. The connection will be removed.

Dang, come to think of it, I think there's a bug in the WP cache function - /me rushes off to test

Old
  (#39)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by >BKA< T Wrecks
Dang, come to think of it, I think there's a bug in the WP cache function - /me rushes off to test
Yes , I can confirm this. Many times I cached some wp, and after I tryied remove some connection and I saw the situations:
a) message Already no Path to this Waypoint
b) deleting of some another connection , not to cached wp.
Similar problems with adding path to some cached wp.

But - once again - please - start new thread for new problem.

Old
  (#40)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Bots get stuck at top of ladder - 26-05-2004

That should be simple to fix. I added the waypoint cache option in a rush because I wanted SoUlFaThEr and T Wrecks not to use their fingers in the console anymore

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."