.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > HPB_bot
HPB_bot The trusty good ole mechs by botman HLDMTFCOpposing ForceDMCFront Line Force

botmans old forum :(
Old
  (#1)
Cheeseh
[rcbot]

Default botmans old forum :( - 23-01-2004

Hey botman. I miss the old forum, particularly the search function. Is it possible you can re-open the forum but keep all forums closed because I find searching the downloaded version of the forum frustrating. I can't find what I am looking for. Or is there any software that will allow searching through this stuff (for windows)? (I know grep might work well but for windows i mean?:p)

I am especially looking for the HL engine change that broke stuff in steam, I remember the topic name and used windows search with the "containing text" filed set at "engine change" or "break third party stuff" but never got a hit

Please help

TBH... I don't think the forum that u can download is actually the latest, I tried searching for things that were definitely there (quite new) but isn't ...

Last edited by Cheeseh; 23-01-2004 at 21:29..

Re: botmans old forum :(
Old
  (#2)
botman
Super Moderator

Default Re: botmans old forum :( - 23-01-2004

I won't be reactiving the forum (even in read-only mode). After I posted the notice about the forum being down for maintenance (before I put up the notice about it being closed), I downloaded all the messages files from the forum, so there's no way that someone could have created any threads after the time I stated downloading stuff (the download of all messages took about 30-40 minutes).

As a replacement, use Windows Grep to search the text files of my zipped archive of the forum...

http://www.wingrep.com/

...it's really nice, once you get used to it (especially the regular expression support). I use it all the time searching through text files and source code files.

botman

Old
  (#3)
botman
Super Moderator

I just did a Windows Grep search of the .txt files in the 'Bot developer's discussions' section and it looks like 4061.txt is the thread you are talking about.

The higher the number of the .txt file, the more recent it is (the newest messages were in the 4000-4200 range). If you know who started the thread, search for "Posted by: <name>" where <name> is the forum user name (don't forget the single space after the ':').

When setting up Windows Grep, change the 'Match Window: " to show 2 or more lines around the matches (in the Options->Perferences, "Options" tab). This will show you several lines above and below the matching line so you can quickly find the file you are looking for.

botman

Old
  (#4)
botman
Super Moderator

Okay, you're right about a bunch of files being missing. I just searched for "12/31/03" and there aren't any files with that date.

I think I screwed up somewhere and zipped up the wrong files or uploaded the wrong file to planethalflife.com.

I'll look into it this weekend and try to straighten things out. Sorry for the mix ups.

botman

Old
  (#5)
botman
Super Moderator

Okay, I just checked, the message numbers should have been in the low 5000s for the more recent stuff. The .zip file I downloaded from fileplanet didn't have anything higher than about 4200.

I should be able to grab all of the thread message files again tomorrow, run them through my Perl converter to generate .txt files from them, zip them up into a correct archive and make it available sometime tomorrow morning or afternoon.

botman

Old
  (#6)
Cheeseh
[rcbot]

thanks botman for sorting it out and the grep link !

Old
  (#7)
botman
Super Moderator

Default Re: botmans old forum :( - 24-01-2004

Okay Cheeseh, I updated the .zip file and uploaded it to fileplanet.com...

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/p...n_2004_new.zip

I didn't have to grab all the thread text files again (since I still had them on my Linux machine). When I downloaded stuff off the forum, I failed to grab the index file that keeps track of which threads belong in which groups (and it also keeps the highest thread number for each group), so I was using an old index file (from around June 2003, I think). Anyway, the new .zip file is over 1 megabyte bigger than the earlier one so there was a WHOLE bunch of stuff missing.

It should all be there now. I double and triple checked everything to make sure all the threads were in the new .zip file.

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm really glad that you caught this and mentioned it!

botman

Old
  (#8)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Alright, I've uploaded it to the Bots United server as well. I overwrote the previous zip file so that people will be able to download it using the same link as before. Also I've set up an unzipped version for the people who want to browse it online (ftp-like)

http://hpb-bot.bots-united.com/botmans_forum

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#9)
koraX

that explains why I couldn't find some posts in that zipped archive

kXBot
koraX's utils
- see my homepage for other projects (OpenGL CSG Editor, FAT16 Sim, NNetwork Sim, ...)