.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > SDK Programming discussions > Other SDKs
Other SDKs For developments focused around other games

Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine
Old
  (#1)
Immortal_BLG

Thumbs up Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 24-10-2011

Slightly rewrited engine, where neither looking at it you can peek how works original HL Engine.

LINK

Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine
Old
  (#2)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 25-10-2011

thanks for sharing

now if only someone ports this to a crossplatform library like SDL and replace or get rid of the vgui.dll stuff...

Last edited by Whistler; 25-10-2011 at 16:50..

Old
  (#3)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 25-10-2011

Nice but, as I had read on the comments the project is currently unactive. The networking is not working and there are developers who wish to help with it but the main developer is not responding at all. Also this engine support only WON version mods... Even of that Counter-Strike 1.5 cannot be started. There is also bugs on the classic Half-Life.

There is much more work to be done. At least the source code is available.

Last edited by The Storm; 25-10-2011 at 22:41..

Old
  (#4)
Immortal_BLG

Default Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 26-10-2011

This engine is made by russian guys, so there some raw google translation from author about why it can't work with CS mod DLL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Дядя Миша
Those who had worked with the engine, must have noticed that xash uses as a normal game DLL SDK from Half-Life, but full compatibility (ie the possibility to connect already-compiled libraries) there is not present. Those comrades who had hoped in this way to connect your favorite Counter-Strike or Opposing Force, naturally fly.
And I periodically write about how it would be good to stir up a really quite full support. In response to such requests would like to express all his ideas as to why I personally believe such support impractical and in some cases - and impossible.

So:
1. Xash supports up to 16 bonecontrollers and up to 16 blendings of animations. These values ​​are stored on the server in entvars_t, where the original reserved for only 4 cells each. Thus, to maintain compatibility here - just kill the additional features.
2. Xash uses almost identical structures edicts on both the client and the server (thanks to a local client Xash world, in many respects identical to the server that allows the tracing as the server), in hl1 - spike, multiple different redeclarations of physent_t, cl_entity_t that knocks confusing novice coders, and the more experienced is not very convenient. Because of this, certainly breaks compatibility with PM_Move in particular and with the code of the client - in general.
3. Because of the advanced features TriAPI (in Xash is not just a wrapper over calls gl-functions), has been almost completely rewritten most client-effects - particularly on the client have been moved: all of the code of temporary entities, all code of rays, most of the code to create effects through flags EF_ (particles, flashlight).
Of course all this has opened up many new opportunities for coders (such as adding new types of rays and the temporary entities), but it completely killed the compatibility of clients.
4. In any case, I have very little idea of ​​the generation and WonID SteamID - without the source of the Half-Life, I probably would not have been able to recreate their work, as required by the library.
5. Network protocols Xash and half-life in any way incompatible.
And not just because I could not recreate them. Xash uses a more efficient and economical protocol, in particular an improved model of the exchange states of entities, classnames transfer over the network (which in turn enables us to work FindEntityByClassname on the client).
6. The mechanism of drop-out invisible objects on the server must take into account the entity, visible through the portals. In any case, this function will be modified slightly to work properly.
7. In the original half-life is a sneaky hack that determines the type of game, and depending on that includes certain features. For Opposing Force - one thing, for Natural Selection - second thing, for Counter-Strike - the third.
For the same Decay in engfuncs was added a whole bunch of new features. In any case, find out how this mechanism, let alone poke at other people's Xash hacks (and not the fact that it is still and will work properly), I have no desire.
Original page: http://www.hlfx.ru/forum/showthread....&threadid=2188

This engine can serve as well to see how the original HL works.

Old
  (#5)
SamPlay

Default Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 26-10-2011

Not quite,
Xash is rather a partially improved "half-quake"; for example, movement code is quake-code which is close to but different from hl ( see pm_move); as far as I remember, client prediction , lag_compensation and the like are quite different.

Old
  (#6)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 29-10-2011

CS 1.5 not working - reason probably is client.dll is encrypted to prevent cheating programs (which cannot be loaded with xash3d).
CS 1.3 & POD-Bot 2.5 works well (except spectator mode is kinda messed up if Locked Chasecam mode is used).

Old
  (#7)
Zapeth

Default Re: Xash3D Engine - Almost clone of HL (GoldSrc) Engine - 01-11-2011

amxmod works with cs 1.3 too but there are very few plugins that (fully) work with it.

and here's a list of mods that should work good with Xash so far:
http://www.hlfx.ru/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3060
besides these ones I would say that these here are good working too:
Code:
- Ricochet
- Opposing Force (didnt play the full game with Xash yet though)
- Deathmatch Classic
- Team Fortress Classic (except the rocket launcher bug I didnt notice anything else)
- pretty much every Half Life Singleplayer Mod that doesnt change much of the original game