.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Engine
Old
  (#41)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Engine - 24-02-2004

Team Fortress Classic features maps with more than 2 teams (4 teams on some). It's an interesting concept for sure. But I believe it's too early to decide on the number of teams anyway: let's do first things first, we need a good engine with good graphical capabilities and good physics that produces a convincing player behaviour.

Battlefield 1942 uses an outdoor (non-BSP) engine. All I know of it is that its modding capabilities are limited (compared to Half-Life). I know it a little but I'm not particularly fond of the player behaviour, which could have been improved IMO. What makes this game so fun to play, according to you ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#42)
AlphaTrooper

Default Re: Engine - 25-02-2004

I think what I like best about the game is that you can fly, drive, or whatever. The maps are huge, and I love that. It means less focus on infintry aiming skills like in cs. That bothers me so much, because it is alot harder to learn if your a newb in CS, where as, in DC, you can still get luck kills, and have fun.

Old
  (#43)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Interesting... we need others point of view like yours. Point of views given by gamers on what they actually like. It will help greatly taking the right technological choices from the start.

Old
  (#44)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Just for fun, imagine a game where not only can there be multiple teams where aliances can be formed and broken, but a "map" can be made out of multiple related maps. Each map is played on a separate server, but are linked together to form a HUGE map. You can go from one submap to another by crossing a bondary, which takes you to another server. All your equipment, team membership, and health status (etc) comes along with you.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#45)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

...that is called a MMORPG, Rob

Old
  (#46)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
...that is called a MMORPG, Rob
LOL thought that was a dirty word at first

What I read about seems to apply to "role playing" only, what I'm talking about is a MMOFPSG.

Anyway, the idea was tossed into the mix just for fun. We could not do such a thing unless the game engine allowed for it - unless we build our own engine of course.

back to configuring Linux ...

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#47)
AlphaTrooper

Default Re: Engine - 04-03-2004

As I was flying my apache today in DC, I noticed how beautiful the game looked, and I only have a FX5200. I think an outdoor engine type is a much better choice.

When you play a game, especially a game with really good graphics, you immerse your self in the game universe. With a game like CS, all the maps are pretty closed in and limited, and it gives a feeling of crampedness. While this is good for a game that requires quick reactions and lots of tension, this gets quite strenuous after prolonged play. I find I can only play CS for so long without getting a bit claustraphobic.

In a game like BF1942, the maps can be huge, and this creates a feeling of openness and freedom. Now yes, if you get stranded beside burning wreckage of a helicopter in the middle of nowhere, it can get lonely running for 10 mins back to a vehical. So there is a balance, but I think you could incorperate them both into one engine, maybe even into the maps themselves.

So my suggestion is to choose an engine that leaves your options open. I am not familiar with what the capabilities a BF1942 type engine has, but I'm sure you could somehow incorperate the two of them together to create options and balance.

*edit
typo's
edit*

Last edited by AlphaTrooper; 04-03-2004 at 08:37..

Old
  (#48)
Austin

Default Re: Engine - 04-03-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTrooper
As I was flying my apache today in DC, I noticed how beautiful the game looked,
What game is DC?

I have been thinking about a new game.
Are there servers for DC and 1942?
I haven't had time to chaeck into this at all.
What is the cheating scene like in DC (what ever it is ) and 1942?

Old
  (#49)
AlphaTrooper

Default Re: Engine - 05-03-2004

DC is Desert Combat, a mod for BF1942. I wouldn't know what the cheating scene is like as I don't play online, but I can't see it be too bad. It's not like CS where kills are based upon skill, at least not nearly as much.

Old
  (#50)
Ava3ar

Default Re: Engine - 05-03-2004

cheating in BF is pretty hard now, they just put PB on, plus the gaming engine is really hard to code

//

i suppose an outdoor (general) engine would work because you could create street settings inside an open map, so there would be open areas and then a town/village/city inside the map, thus having a closed in feeling and an open feeling

you would need to get good mappers todo this (hehe not bragging)

Last edited by Ava3ar; 05-03-2004 at 02:00..