.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > SDK Programming discussions > Half-Life 1 SDK
Half-Life 1 SDK For developments focused around Half-Life (and its mods) Half-Life

getting hlsdk working(Linux)
Old
  (#1)
kc2keo

Default getting hlsdk working(Linux) - 13-09-2004

Hi,

First of all I'm really trying to get moving with getting Botmans original monster_plugin working. I've already posted a thread on that and screwed up bad with posting to big of a message on the metamod & bot coding section(could an Admin delete that thread?). I understand before I even decide to get the monter_plugin working I first of all need a working SDK compiled and running on Mandrake Linux 10. I've already downloaded updated source code packages to compile on my Linux machine to work with newer compilers of gcc. I also understand I need to update the monster_plugin formatting of the functions. I havent worked on that yet (first SDK).

Now since I cant seem to understand to grasp the concept of getting this SDK compiled since I fail each time. I am quite sure I have the neccessary libraries to compile this SDK yet I dont know which ones the SDK wants. I'm currently at school posting this thread so when I left I was using MandrakeUpdate updating my packages on my pc for security and bugs. I've just checked version number on gcc and it is:

Code:
[kc2keo@localhost kc2keo]$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java,pascal --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)
[kc2keo@localhost kc2keo]$
If it matters (dont think so) heres g++ also

Code:
[kc2keo@localhost kc2keo]$ g++ -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java,pascal --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)
[kc2keo@localhost kc2keo]$
also I experimented with "diff" and read up on it. I never really bothered to much with it if it matters.

I hope i'm not being a pain about this but I'm kind of confused. All i'm doing here is trying to edit source and checking by compiling it seems like i'm going in loops.

and again could an admin delete my thread on metamod & coding section from me? I've even updated the Makefile since it complained about some stuff in Linux so I did get rid of some errors. The other functions such as SetThink dont compile and they are in the SDK dlls folder.

Thanks,

George

Re: getting hlsdk working(Linux)
Old
  (#2)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: getting hlsdk working(Linux) - 13-09-2004

I think you'd have more success in compiling the HLSDK for Linux if you used GCC 2.95.3.
That's the version we use on the Bots United server for compiling metamod and plugins.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#3)
kc2keo

Default Re: getting hlsdk working(Linux) - 13-09-2004

hmm,

Ok. I was considering installing that version since I've read its compiled with that version. However that one question arises for me is it ok for a lower version of GCC to coexist on my system with the one I have now. I dont want to get rid of a newer one and put that one just to compile the programs. I could however do that on my dedicated server. Hmm I could remove the newer one and put the older one. That wouldnt be a problem but would it be ok for them to coexist is the question.

Thanks,

no time to research this simple question now have to run off to work,

- George

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: getting hlsdk working(Linux) - 14-09-2004

yes you can, provided you supply the right directives when you do the ./configure. We have 2 versions of GCC here too.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#5)
kc2keo

Default Re: getting hlsdk working(Linux) - 15-09-2004

Hello again,

I've found this site where it tells me how to do multiple installations for configure. It tells me that I could just do this for version gcc2.95.2(I got the one you told me to get):

Code:
./configure --program-suffix=old
while trying to read the output from the ./configure it prompted me that I needed a library for teTeX. I went and downloaded teTeX and tried installing the program and it warned me that I needed the libraries so I got them also. It didnt have instructions with the libraries so I assume I should put them in the /usr/libs directory but I refuse for now. I also tried using the prefix option to install to another directory and that seemed to give the same output as the last however It looked like it tried installing. The ./configuring also did respond in a similar fashion like suffix.

I did some googleing also and found a bunch of hits. I'm reading them and also thinking of where else I could of gone wrong. I'm just discouraged now and tired at the same time. Would you mind helping me?

If its not too much trouble could you please list in order of which commands you issued? If not thats ok i'll try another time at this installation.

Anyway the site where I found these steps on my first hit is here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#multiple

Also I attatched the output that I redirected to a .txt file in case you need to look at it

the attatched files have the prefix and program-suffix commands used. It explains on the link more.

thanks,
George
Attached Files
File Type: txt makegcc.txt (11.1 KB, 438 views)
File Type: txt configureprefix.txt (14.5 KB, 395 views)
File Type: txt configuresuffix.txt (14.5 KB, 404 views)

Old
  (#6)
BAStumm

Default Re: getting hlsdk working(Linux) - 30-09-2004

http://spokaneteamfortress.com/monster_mm_i386.tar.gz

In case you want to just download my fixed monster plugin. This was ported from botmans and I added in support for a couple extra monsters. If you want the sources...

http://spokaneteamfortress.com/monster_src_lnx.tar.gz

Also GCC 2.96 works fine for HLSDK/Metamod compiling. I believe any sub 3.0 version will work as well. Just edit your metamod Config.mak or was it the makefile itself and comment out the gcc version deally...