.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Forge of Digital Worlds > Waypointing > POD-Bot mm Waypoint Format
POD-Bot mm Waypoint Format Waypoints for POD-Bot mm

Re: Work on Wesite?
Old
  (#21)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: Work on Wesite? - 05-11-2004

Heyyo,

Yeah, TWrecks, I was thinking on the lines of maybe setting it up like CSNation's "Skin Of The Day" archives. Like, have a main list, and then if you click on "full review" or something like that and I'd show you a main site editor's main review, and then the CSnationalist reviews. Another one I thought of was the skins/plugins section at winamp.com. It's prety cool, I'd have the main editors review, and a random comment from any user underneeth with their review. So there's 2 to think aboot eh?

Also, for file uploading, I'm guessing we'll be using that SCP/SFTP that BU uses right?

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#22)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarD
Heyyo,

Yeah, TWrecks, I was thinking on the lines of maybe setting it up like CSNation's "Skin Of The Day" archives. Like, have a main list, and then if you click on "full review" or something like that and I'd show you a main site editor's main review, and then the CSnationalist reviews.
That's what I had in mind. Just the rating stars in the list, and a click on the file brings up details (editor's comment, users' comments) plus download link. Not to forget, a "Rate / Comment" link, which will bring you to a rating interface where you can say how many stars you give and (optionally) leave a comment as well.

Quote:
Another one I thought of was the skins/plugins section at winamp.com. It's prety cool, I'd have the main editors review, and a random comment from any user underneeth with their review. So there's 2 to think aboot eh?
Not bad, either, but this would require a different site structure.

Quote:
Also, for file uploading, I'm guessing we'll be using that SCP/SFTP that BU uses right?
You mean the one none of us knows a f*ck about 'cuz we're too damn stupid to even upload to the filebase? Yeah, I guess so. Why?

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#23)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

Well, I doupt you n' Bio are stupid, it's probably just me cause I have no idea how to upload to the filebase, which's why the latest EPB release is just an attachment in my post instead of an actual file in the filebase. I'mma forum moddie n00b... !

So err, a little offtopic, can you teach me how to upload to the filebase TWrecks for Bio? please? this may come in handy once I start getting newer versions of E[POD]bot and if the forum council will letme upload here n' stuff.

I'll try downloading that free proggie PMB posted to see what uploading with it is like. I'm only used to FTP. I use like, FlashFXP I thnk it's called... Hopefully that SCP/SFTP isin't much different... here's the link to that post with that free proggie: (at least I think it's free...) http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=2795

[EDIT]
Oh, forgot to write why, if it ain't obvious from above, cause I dunno how that SCP/SFTP proggie works, but I bet it shouldn't be too different from my current FTP proggie... I'm gonna start writing this program, cause proggie's making me think of perrogies... and now I'm like... starving...

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Last edited by MarD; 05-11-2004 at 20:00..

Old
  (#24)
biohazerd87
Moderator by day Waypointer by night

you guys are thinking way to far ahead, not that it is bad it is great but we haven't even started the website, if anything we need to throw together a list of things we: will need, want, or want to try....

Old
  (#25)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Default Re: Work on Wesite? - 07-11-2004

Ok, let's start with the database, because we will need one. Some kind of table the content of which can be read and put into the right place on an HTML page, and in the format we specify. For example, if there is a column named "rating", and this column contains the value "4" for the map as_oilrig, then on the web page in the line for as_oilrig, there should be 4 little stars or whatever we use under "rating".
I figure we could read comments or site reviews for any waypoint from such a table as well...
Another question is: Can we write stuff into the table / database automatically? Let's say a user clicks on "comment/rate", writes "this waypoint file sucks, bots keep getting stuck" and rates "1" out of 5 stars... how do we get this into our table automatically? Can we program the page in a way that the values and the text entered by our user will automatically be added into the table / database, and that upon the next reload, these freshly entered values will be displayed already?

Old
  (#26)
biohazerd87

yeah, i can think of about 50 ways to do this, but you way sounds the best, altho this is a little over my head, i know some people who can help

Old
  (#27)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

You will need PHP and SQL for that. We can open a table for you in the BU server's SQL database. Ask Onno for the database stuff, he knows that better than me.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#28)
biohazerd87

yeah i knew you needed PHP and SQL or ACESS, it is kinda like a forum i just don't really know how to write it

Old
  (#29)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Default Re: Work on Wesite? - 08-11-2004

Well, anyway it sounds like it's possible, and while it might not be easy, I suppose it's not rocket science, either... or is it?

I reckon that for a first step, it can't hurt to think...
a) how the table is to be composed (how many columns)
b) how many fields are to be "interactive", i.e. get changed automatically once a user downloads a file (download count +1), rates (new average rating calculated automatically) or reviews it (review text added somewhere).

Another question... how is this user rating stuff done, for example? Let's take CSM as an example once more... when there's a new map, the staff rates it, let's say 4, and adds a review. Now 3 more people rate, let's say 2,2 and 4. The new average rating would thus drop to 3. But are there like 20 empty slots for ratings in a kind of table, or are these user ratings kept somewhere else to calculate the up-to-date average?
Pretty much the same goes for the user reviews... is there a certain amount of database entries reserved, or how does it work?

Excuse me, I'm really a n00b at such things...

Another thing we might want to consider is the possibility to delete user ratings / reviews. Look at CSM: Sometimes a map gets bad scores just because some brain-damaged kiddie stops by, writes "Hello I'm Dave" into the review field and rates the map 0-0-0-0-0...>
If I were member of the CSM crew, I'd delete such nonsense.

Old
  (#30)
biohazerd87

Default Re: Work on Wesite? - 08-11-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by >BKA< T Wrecks
Well, anyway it sounds like it's possible, and while it might not be easy, I suppose it's not rocket science, either... or is it?

I reckon that for a first step, it can't hurt to think...
a) how the table is to be composed (how many columns)
b) how many fields are to be "interactive", i.e. get changed automatically once a user downloads a file (download count +1), rates (new average rating calculated automatically) or reviews it (review text added somewhere).

Another question... how is this user rating stuff done, for example? Let's take CSM as an example once more... when there's a new map, the staff rates it, let's say 4, and adds a review. Now 3 more people rate, let's say 2,2 and 4. The new average rating would thus drop to 3. But are there like 20 empty slots for ratings in a kind of table, or are these user ratings kept somewhere else to calculate the up-to-date average?
Pretty much the same goes for the user reviews... is there a certain amount of database entries reserved, or how does it work?

Excuse me, I'm really a n00b at such things...

Another thing we might want to consider is the possibility to delete user ratings / reviews. Look at CSM: Sometimes a map gets bad scores just because some brain-damaged kiddie stops by, writes "Hello I'm Dave" into the review field and rates the map 0-0-0-0-0...>
If I were member of the CSM crew, I'd delete such nonsense.
the thing is i don't think CSM updates automaticaly, like if i submit a rating and comment or w/e it doesn't show up, it is reviewed and then posted, thats how it works on CSM, i am pretty sure at least