.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

A bot in a tight spot
Old
  (#1)
the bindlestiff

Default A bot in a tight spot - 26-03-2006

I'm almost finished with Band of Brothers except for one vexing problem (and it's NOT a ladder!). The final objective is a document grab (what else?). The documents are located in a very small roofed-dugout. The dugout is shaped like a block "T" with the entrance at the bottom of the "T." The documents are on the right as you reach the top of the "T," on a narrow bench.

A bot must enter the dugout, make a sharp right turn to get the documents and somehow reverse his steps. The problem is that once he has the documents, he ignores the nice path I have laid for him, and instead ALWAYS turns clockwise and runs into the wall by the inside corner of the "T" and the exit. There he stays, running in place against the wall, sometimes for several minutes to forever. Occasionally he'll make a jump to the right, always too much and winds up against the opposite corner. Very rarely does he make a half-jump to center himself in the exit passage and escapes.

Since this is the guy carrying the goods in enemy territory, this is not a good thing.

I've tried all the enticements that I can think of to induce the bot to take a path to freedom, but nothing has worked. Walking nodes, of course, nodes in the air, nodes in the ground, one-way circuits, etc.

Do any of you more experienced waypointers have any suggestions about how to help my poor little bot out of his predicament?

Thanks!

Re: A bot in a tight spot
Old
  (#2)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: A bot in a tight spot - 26-03-2006

If you send em to me, I'll take a look.

Old
  (#3)
Valiant

Default Re: A bot in a tight spot - 26-03-2006

My guess would be, offhand that there's something wrong with the document delivery objective action. Improper action group, bad placement or invalid closenode. You're probably right and the space just gives them issues - but if they aren't sure where to take it or when, that would undoubtedly complicate their escape.

Stupid suggestion most likely, I know. But I just figured I'd mention it, never hurts to double or even triplecheck variables when you have a problem. I'm sure 'Shoot will bail you out, he's real good at that.

The way is made clear when viewed from above.

Old
  (#4)
the bindlestiff

Default Re: A bot in a tight spot - 27-03-2006

Kudos to Crapshoot again!! He spotted the problem and found a workaround in record time. Apparently, the problem is a bug in the bot pathfinding code. After taking the documents, the bot ignored the path nodes that had led him into the dugout and seemed to fixate on a node outside. It was the node that points to the gun dynamite action. Crapshoot noticed that when the bot finally got out, he headed for that node before getting on the correct path back to the delivery point. The workaround was to simply move the node a little so the bot had a straight shot at it from the doorway. Crapshoot also simplified the pathing inside the close quarters of the dugout.

So it looks like we've dug out a small bug in the dugout! (sorry)