View Single Post
Re: Im An Idiot Help Me
Old
  (#6)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: Im An Idiot Help Me - 04-03-2004

Hey RickJames,

if you're planning to use PODBot with custom maps, I can assure you that eveything will work fine. I recommend using Pierre-Marie Baty's PODBot version that works as a Metamod plugin. I've finally been able to test it yesterday and it's as good as PODBot could ever get.
Concerning waypoints, there are loads on the 'net (like on the page Terran posted here), but their quality varies. If you encounter bots drowning in water, always falling down somewhere or jumping in front of a high crate as if they wanted to get on top of it, the waypoint you d/l'ed is likely to be sh*t. As a rule, any decent waypoint should exceed 30 KB; if it's below, it's most probably bad. If it's above, it might still be bad, though, because the size of the file only indicates the number of WPs used. Fortunately, there are some names you can trust: If you see a waypoint done by "TAZ", "Count Floyd", "bot_guy" or "SoUlFaThEr", it's gotta be good.
And if you think you have bad waypoints for a map or if there's a map you don't find any waypoints for, just tell me and I'll make some for you.
Which maps do you have in your mapcycle? I've already waypointed more than 50 custom maps, and from what my friends & LAN mates tell me, my waypoints are pretty good - I would be glad to share them and have some more feedback.
Oh, and one more thing: There are some maps that are not the best to play with bots. Why? Because there are some things (like doors you have to push instead of running into them, for example) bots have problems with. However, it's even possible to edit the map and change quite a lot. Austin is obviously quite skilled in this respect, and I'm also planning to modify some maps to make them more enjoyable in bot matches.
Well, so much for now - hope you'll get it all to work! Btw, is it a 1.5 or a 1.6 server you're running? Maybe me & my friends might pay you a little visit - if it's ok for you, I can at least ask them and see what they think.