View Single Post
Re: min and max bot settings?
Old
  (#3)
BuMHeD

Default Re: min and max bot settings? - 01-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoul
It seems the commands magically vanished. I'll reprogram them sometime in the near future when I have some free time.

I'm interested in how users want this function implemented. What exact purpose do you use the min and max bots commands for in HPB bot?
I share the concern of the above member.

My reason (and subsequent need) of a min/max bot function is for server integrity and true traffic monitoring. You see.. the only reason I would ever want bots in my server would be to entertain 1 lonely player who's in the server alone awaiting real people to show up. It's also nice when there are 2 bots in the server in order to make the server appear to be worth joining for players seeking a good time. For this reason, I used HPB in the past with this config:

max_bot 2
min_bot 0

In this instance, whenever the server was empty, it would fill it with a maximum of 2 bots. Each time a new player joined, the bots would systematically be kicked, creating 3 possible scenarios:

Server empty = 2 bots
1 lonely player = 1 bot
2 not-so-lonely players = 0 bots

In this way, not only does my server never appear to have less than 2 players at any given moment, but I also don't have to worry about bots disrupting my stats and being an annoyance when the server fills up. Naturally, when you have a bustling server, you dont want the last 2 player slots filled with non-human clients that (more than likely) are not worth fighting... although I admit, in my testing, your bots were QUITE challenging.

I'm just now starting to reach a point in my C++, JAVA, BASIC, .NET, PERL, and PHP programming courses that I MAY be able to offer some assistance... but I'm not entirely sure. Let me know if you have any other design questions... I would be glad to give you my 'unique' perspective.

Also, on a side note, is there any chance that we could get you to consider making a version of grave_bot that is tailored to Bubblemod (a few weapon changes and that's about it). If you don't have the time, I'll see what I can do with the code you've already provided. Thanks (and any pointers would be appreciated as to the best way to go about editing weapon information for the bots)

*~BuM~*