View Single Post
Re: Planning and design
Old
  (#17)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Planning and design - 07-01-2004

It's pretty much a question of vocabulary. Depending on the meaning you put behind both. For example, almost everybody agrees that waypoints are "points", i.e. vector locations in the virtual world. Some may call waypoints nodes, but some also use the term "node" to describe a more generic concept, basically a leaf in a pathfinding tree. With my bot for example, which one uses a navmesh, the nodes are not points, but polygons on which players can walk. These "navnodes" can extend over 200 units length and width in the virtual world, depending on how the map was made and how it was compiled into the BSP tree.

The difference between the concept of "points" (waypoints) and "nodes" in the meaning I give them, is that for me, these walkable faces describe much better the shape of the world to a bot than what waypoints do. You have to imagine what a bot see. Where you, as a player, see walls, staircases, rooms and alleys, all a waypoint-based bot sees is a constellation of stars in the void, each star being a waypoint.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."